StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on some new tires. OEM on my 2012 GLEE. What tires would you consider for just one step toward Gravel/Hard pack dirt. I guess I would say
75/25 or such. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check out the Metzeler Karoo 3. They're stated as being 70/30. You might also look at the Shinko 705s. I have no experience with either but there are plenty of reviews of both to get some ideas. I went with the Heidenau K76 and am not too thrilled with them. I wouldn't say they're particularly bad. Just not quite as good as the OEM tires.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just to add a bit more commentary: I doubt you'll notice a significant difference with a 70/30 like the Karoo. My impression is that if you want a tire that makes a noticeable difference, go with a 50/50 like the Heidenau K60, Continental TKC80, or something along those lines.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Full Bore tires are some great tires for the money. Tread is the same as the Shinko's just a little more agressive. (pattern in a little wider) I have over 8000 miles on mine and the rear is real close to the end of it's life, the front is still 75%.......

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have the Shinkos front and rear. I like them a lot. The bike handles very well with them. I haven't really ridden in much gravel though.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Michelin Anakee 3 is one good choice.

The Shinko705/FullBore M40 tires are OK, low cost, rear wears fast, if you pay to get them changed may cost more per mile, I didn't like the drone noise at certain speeds.

The Metzeler Karoo 3 is 30/70, I think--30% on pavement and 70% off.
“They hook up well on all surfaces and will break loose where I want them to. In wet conditions, they did not pack up with mud and were very predictable on the trail or road. One of the better tires I have ever used.”
Metzeler Karoo 3 Motorcycle Tires Review | Rider Magazine

·
Registered
110 Posts
Michelin Anakee 3 is one good choice.

The Shinko705/FullBore M40 tires are OK, low cost, rear wears fast, if you pay to get them changed may cost more per mile, I didn't like the drone noise at certain speeds.

The Metzeler Karoo 3 is 30/70, I think--30% on pavement and 70% off.
“They hook up well on all surfaces and will break loose where I want them to. In wet conditions, they did not pack up with mud and were very predictable on the trail or road. One of the better tires I have ever used

According to Revzilla's website, the Karoo 3 is 70/30:
"The Metzeler Karoo 3 tires are a new concept of Adventure and Enduro On/Off tires dedicated to off-road expeditions and featuring both off-road traction and on-road stability with excellent mileage. Specifically engineered for medium to large displacement bikes that spend time both on and off road, these 70% street / 30% off-road tires offer off-road traction and stability on road with excellent mileage."

The article you listed contradicts the Revzilla write-up. I looked at Metzler's website and they don't specify. Judging from the tread pattern, I'd say Revzilla is correct.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You don't need 70/30 tires to run gravel and hard pack dirt roads. You can do that on regular 90/10 adventure touring tires or even regular sport touring tires. If the gravel looks like it could get deep, air down the tires a little (you have to do that on the more aggressive tires too). For the most part, I don't even bother airing down, it just goes through those roads at normal street pressures. Additional bonus of not airing down (or airing down only a little), when you are going faster than you really should on that better hard pack section and you happen to hit a rut, your rim is better protected.

Unless you are planning on tackling wet/muddy dirt tracks (not wet hard pack roads) I'd get a set of Anakees.

Gustavo

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
I run bt023 sport touring tires no problem on "roads" today I went thru road hazards and mud puddles with them.

I believe until you get to knobs like a Heidenaur its all BS

·
Registered
463 Posts
My Tires

DL650K7. Post OEM, Anakee 3, which was a big improvement on pavement but about the same on forest roads. Just mounted Heidenau K60 Scout and there is a vast improvement on forest roads. On pavement I so far think the K60 is as good as The Anakee but I do not lean enough to scrape. It takes a lot of lean to engage the outer lugs on the tires. BUT, the K 60 will not be a good rain tire like the Anakee. I plan to remount Anakee every Oct and mount K60 every April and take it easy in the wet.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quite happy with the Anakee 3 after over 11,000 km. Great in wet and on the highway. A little better than oem on gravel and hard packed dirt but still quite adequate. Tread life looks like it will be comparable to OEM, around 23,000 km for me.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Trails were noticeably better than most other 80/20 tires.

Not as good as the TKC-80/K60, but a lot better than say Battlewings.

Pete

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Not sure of your definition of "fast wear"... I have over 100,000 miles on Shinko 705s now and consistently see 7,000-8,000 out of a rear, and I am an aggressive rider. I have never seen that, except once, out of a stock tire or any other brand replacement; that one time I did see 7,000 miles out of the stock Bridgestone on my 2013 Strom, but the gravel prowess and price point were sub-par when compared to the Shinko.

For the money the 705s are hard to beat, and are my go-to suggestion for anyone who asks me "what tire should I run...".

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Check out the Metzeler Karoo 3. They're stated as being 70/30. You might also look at the Shinko 705s. I have no experience with either but there are plenty of reviews of both to get some ideas. I went with the Heidenau K76 and am not too thrilled with them. I wouldn't say they're particularly bad. Just not quite as good as the OEM tires.
I've got a few thousand on the Heidenau K76s now, and don't have any complaints. They do well in the gravel and fine on both wet/dry pavement. They are a little noisy at first, but seem to wear more uniformly than the Anakee II which had been my go-to tire for quite a while. I've also run Metzler Tourances, which were fine. I was never a fan of the old Battlewings but haven't tried them lately.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just rode 20 mi. on hard pack Forest Service roads and the Shinkos did great. The bike felt planted with no surprises. I was up to 40mph for short stretches they gave me a lot of confidence running highway pressure. I got 8k out of my first rear and might get 9k on the current rear and the front shows little wear at 5k. These are a step up from the originals on the highway and dirt.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
Battlewings are an 80/20 tire. I had one on the rear and liked it.
I have been running Battlewings too, front and rear, and am quite happy with their performance. They have done well in all but fresh deep gravel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
tires

Went with Continental Trail Attak 2 tires on my Vee

Fantastic tire so far. Does gravel rds fine, outstanding tire on imperfect to poor pavement and other backroads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Vee had Tourances on it when I bought it. I have put about 4k on them and they're still looking good. I'm unsure of the mileage they were mounted at.

They are more agressive than most of the tires mentioned in this thread, but they have also worked well for me in street use.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts