StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my V-strom 650 yesterday. It's got continental tkc-80 tires on it (about 1500 miles on them according to former owner). I'm planning on riding mainly on the street, with only an occasional well-maintained dirt road or gravel driveway.

Would I be better off replacing the continentals with the original equipment bridgestone trailwings? I know people usually go the other way, but I'm concerned I'm giving up street traction for off-road performance I won't be using.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Mark

·
Registered
195 Posts
go with the new 'battlewings' which have replace the 'deathwings' which have been standard issue...

enjoy your 'new' strom.

·
Registered
22 Posts
TKC 80's

Don't mess around with the OEM rubber. Have a look at the Michelin Anakee's (which I use) or the Tourance from Metz. I have a k6 1000 which came with the trailwings. I actually like them for a road tire. I consider myself an agressive rider coming from the Sport bike scene and I find they held up just fine. But I would never buy the OEM rubber if I had to replace the tires. The Anakee's are a far superior tire. They can handle just about anyting within reason.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Tire suggestions

Hey Mark - a fellow Tucson Stromer here. I really like the Michelin Anakee. Southwest Moto Tires on Grant near Silverbell. Great selection there. The contact is Blaine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll check into SW Moto. I hate going to the f***ing dealer.

Thanks for all the replies, but what I really want to know is not what to replace them with (I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but the Anakee sounds good) but whether to replace them now or wait till they wear out. Is the road traction or handling with the TKC-80s likely to be a problem? Will I be safer or happier on more road oriented tires? I'm talking about dry asphalt handling here; I live in the desert here and I'm willing to skip riding on the 20 or so rainy days a year.

Mark

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have the TKC's and have seen higher wear, more road noice and a slighty highway vibration due to the lug spacing. I also do not ride as aggressive on the pavement do to the lesser side lug contact area.
Previously I have the Ankees and fund them to be well suit for the type of riding described. I very good all round performer except heavy mud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts