StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, someone could comment about the tire Michelin Anakee 3 , size 170-60R17 if i can use it in the rear of 2014 suzuki v strom 1000, because is bigger than the oem sizes, will i have some trouble
or restrictions to look after ( OEM SIZE IS 150-70 R19 )
thanks

aguilar g. :

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Hello, someone could comment about the tire Michelin Anakee 3 , size 170-60R17 if i can use it in the rear of 2014 suzuki v strom 1000, because is bigger than the oem sizes, will i have some trouble
or restrictions to look after ( OEM SIZE IS 150-70 R19 )
thanks

aguilar g. :

Tire Size Conversion Calculator

You shouldn't have clearance problems. The 170 is a bit less than an inch wider and about the same taller.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
It should mount ok and have enough clearance but it will upset your ABS and Traction control.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It should mount ok and have enough clearance but it will upset your ABS and Traction control.
How would it upset them though? I have 160s and no problem.

That being said, i would love to slap on some 170s, will look in this thread for confirmation before ordering new rubber for the end of the month.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

Less than an inch larger diameter would wack the computer you think?

Don't know but I doubt it's that sensitive. One way to find out.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
When I was running the 195/55-17 last year all was well whilst that tire was new. Towards the end the TC would kick in in 6th gear on the interstate and ABS would shut down after a few miles. The only explanation for that was the off size tire I was running. I have not ridden the bike since so there is the off chance that there is an unrelated issue. If so I will post that once we can get the bike back on the road.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
When I was running the 195/55-17 last year all was well whilst that tire was new. Towards the end the TC would kick in in 6th gear on the interstate and ABS would shut down after a few miles. The only explanation for that was the off size tire I was running. I have not ridden the bike since so there is the off chance that there is an unrelated issue. If so I will post that once we can get the bike back on the road.
That's a car tire though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The ABS system must have some leeway built-in with respect to revs/miles front-to-rear to account for normal tread wear, i.e., you mount a new rear with full-depth tread matched to a worn front at wear-bar depth. Prolly no way to quantify the fudge factor built in by the factory engineers, but I'd guess a 1-2% variance from stock would be acceptable without tripping the ABS warning.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I can't see how you'd have any issues with fitting it or with the system. Assuming the same profile on both tires, using the converter in post #2 the 170 is shorter, not taller, but only by 6mm. Tire circumference is less than 20mm smaller on the 170 (2016.3mm vs 1997.4mm), that's 0.9%. Since all the speedos report fast, it will be ever so slightly faster than on the original tire.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just making sure before i order, are we saying a 170-60-17 would fit on a 2014 Vee2?

No rubbing on the sides?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts