StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Somebody point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed elsewhere. But through the years I have read multiple comments here from Strommers claiming to get 8, 9 or even 10,000 or more miles out of a rear tire. And 15,000 or more out of a front.

So OK, I'll bite. What's your trick? I've been riding street for 30 years, and have NEVER got that kinda mileage out of a tire. On any bike. With any brand. 4 to 5,000 on a rear is about average for me. Sometimes as little as 3,000.

My scoots have included sport bikes (GSXR, and a Busa) as well as a couple of Harleys, and my Wee. I rarely ride 2-up. My Wee has panniers and a top case, but they are only fully loaded a couple times a year. Usually it's just me (180 lbs), maybe a spare jacket or rain gear, and a soft cooler with a 6-pack. I dont think weight is my issue.

Yes I ride fast, I guess 10 to 15 over the posted speed, and most of my riding is South Texas and its hot here. And most of the good twisty roads are chip-seal asphalt. On the Wee I've used Shinko 705s, Tourance, and ME 880s. I check pressure regularly and run em at whats on the sidewall. No brand has lasted significantly longer than the other. The 880s were the longest lasting I guess, but they are strictly a street tire.

Thoughts, ideas, theory's?

I think it's a combination of very hot and rough chip-seal asphalt and perhaps high speeds?

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I would guess the road surface and temp have the most to do with it.

Guess you could go darkside and see how you like it, at least on the back. Not something i would ever do but i don't get 3k miles on a tire either. Thats nuts.

Riding with low pressure is known to wear tires out faster. Higher pressure is supposed to prolong tire life.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think it's a combination of very hot and rough chip-seal asphalt and perhaps high speeds?
Chip seal most likely. The roads I mainly ride on are chip seal, hilly and twisty, and a rear tyre on the Wee lasts around 6000km (3600 miles). The fronts last a lot longer; I have over 10,000km each on a pair of fronts and they have very little wear. Heavy front brake use will wear the fronts faster, btw. I don't use either brake very much - mainly engine braking - but that wears the rears faster as well on the rough surface.

The 1250 Bandit got 5800km out of the last Bridgestone BT21 front and rear, replaced as a set. I've had Road Attack 1 & 2s on the Wee, now Shinko 750s, and just fitted Pilot Road 3s to the Bandit. At a bit over $500 a set, and with me doing mileages that require replacement about every 3 months, it's an expensive business. When I lived interstate where the roads had a smoother surface my rear tyres lasted about double the mileages I get here. The Bandit is the only bike I've ever worn the front out in less than twice a rear and it was in worse shape than the rear at the same mileage. Those 17" fronts just get ground away.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I would guess the road surface and temp have the most to do with it.
I agree.

I got 11K miles out of the stock Trailwing rear and the front is still good with 15K miles. I ride kind of fast also (10 -15 over posted). So my bet would be road surface is to blame.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Downshifting a little chirp, Full acceleration in 1,2, or 4:mrgreen:

I was hoping for good tire mileage but went 1/2 way through an Anakee2 in 2000 miles.:headbang:

I also always use my rear brake too

Assuming they still exist at the time I will try the dual compound Power Road 2 on the rear . Th PR3 just looks ridiculous if ever in mud of anykind.

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
I consitantly get 19,000 to 21,000 km (12,000 to 13,000 miles) out of my rear Tourance non-exp, and 50% to double that out of the front. I have weighed from 255 to 220 lbs.

I run my rear around 42 psi, and my front around 40 psi. That varies with how lazy I am and the temperature. The roads I ride on vary from concrete highways, superslab asphalt, chipseal and gravel. Most of my riding is solo but I have taken long trips with a full load of gear on the back and lately often have a passenger. Over the last year or so I find myself often riding at 120kph/75 mph regardless of whether the road is superslab, secondary road, backroad or gravel. (I have become somewhat insane.) On occasion I lift the front wheel while leaving a light and redline my bike routinely.

..Tom

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've got 15,000 miles on my rear TW (2011 DL650). It's getting close to the wear bars. I'll probably have to replace it in 1,000 or 2,000 more miles. I've got a set of Anakees on the shelf waiting.

I run 33psi F, 36psi R, checked weekly. I ride daily, year around. Temperatures in the summer here generally hover around 110° with 115° (and higher) not uncommon. I have a small Pelican top box and Givi E21 side cases. I weigh about 140, so the bike isn't hauling vast amounts of weight.

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the information guys. It appears I need to move somewhere with concrete road surfaces, lol. Naaaaah, I'll just keep buying rear tires every 3 to 4 months I guess. I'm thinking about trying a Michelin Pilot Road or an Anakee next. People seem to have good things to say about them. I don't do much off pavement riding, just an occasional dirt road now and then, but I'll probably go with the Anakees.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I never get more than 6k or so out of a rear.
Just put on a set of PR3s, absolutely love the way they feel. Hopefully the mileage will be decent.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
kEEP US POSTED ON THOSE PR3

VERY curious if / what happens on wet dirt if ever
I imagine that they'll be about the same as any 100% street tire, i.e. not very good. :)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I've had the same type of tyres go for 11K miles and the next set go away in 4500 miles.
For me it was all the wrist. I wore the side to the nubbin and the center was good for a 5 state run.
Sure is expensive to have fun like that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I got like five or six thousand miles on the first set of tires on my Wee. I do ride a lot of two-up with my gal and spend a lot of time on back roads. I put on a set of Dunlop 604 or whatever and they are not lasting very well at all. I keep the tire pressure up but these things wear weird. I think the weight of two of us with full gear and the rough roads must be doing it. I don't ride fast. Couldn't if I wanted to on these back roads.

I know that when I replace the Dunlops I will go with something higher quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts