StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm checking my tire pressure Sunday night before work the next day...

Went to stick the gauge on the back wheel and felt some air coming out. Hmm that's weird, wiggled the stem a bit and it breaks right off! I'm standing there thinking this is a good that this happened in my garage instead out in the middle of nowhere.

I haven't really given much thought to valve stems. Gone through a lot of tire changes on a lot of bikes. I know that some people install new stems with each tire. Seems a bit much to me but maybe replacing them every couple of tires would be prudent. Kind of hard to fix on the side of the road, could carry a spare I guess.

Anyway replace those valve stems once in awhile fellas. :grin2:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I do it with each tire change or two if they're the rubber kind. I think the steel ones last for a very long time.

You're right, glad it happened to you at home!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Now is a good time to switch to metal angled valve stems. However if you are not into them new rubber ones at NAPA are about $0.50 a piece if you but a pack of 6.

I usually wiggle them around when I change the tire to look for dry rot. If I do not notice and cracking or dryness they stay in service. If I do notice signs of degradation replacement is a snap....well actually more a pull and then a snap into place.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Anyone know of a good metal one for our cast wheels? I have air pressure sensors on mine and they say that metal is suggested as opposed to rubber.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Anyone know of a good metal one for our cast wheels? I have air pressure sensors on mine and they say that metal is suggested as opposed to rubber.
I like metal ones over rubber ones. About 4 years ago I installed BikeMaster 45-degree air valve stems on my 08 DL1000 wheels. They make it much easier for me to get my air chuck in there and check tire pressure. I check the gaskets every time I change tires. So far so good.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wandering around Amazon looking for valve stems I found these:

Colby Valve Ultimate Tire Valve Stem Replacement System

"Colby Valves are made to install from the outside of the wheel, without any tire removal. Our patented Ultimate Valves can be installed at home, from the outside of the wheel, without tire removal, in about 1 minute. You will need to tighten them down with a 7/16" socket or wrench. They are 20X stronger than normal valves and will help you avoid many common valve issues up-front. They aren't indestructible, but they will take one heck of a beating. Consider them an amazing rigid valve that can be installed without breaking the bead. "

So yea looks like there is a way to fix a valve stem out on the road.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've used the 90° metal valve stems in the past. They work great and allow easy air ups.

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
This is similar to the "oil drain plug washer" argument.
A pair of tires average cost is $300. A pair of valve stems cost 79 cents. Do you want a $300 job to fail because of a 79 cent part?
I change them every time. Overkill? Certianly, but I'm not going to have a problem because of being too cheap to spend an extra 79 cents on my $300 set of tires.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had aluminum 90 degree stems. I was concerned one would get damaged by a rock or something so I replaced them with the standard rubber 412's again. That's when I noticed the corrosion between the aluminum and steel wheel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Nicad Garmin are the only brand I know of that askes for steel stems, all other brands are happy for you to use rubber stems.

I put a number of different brands on the scales and they all weigh about the same.

I have been using stem type TPMS for many many years and have never had a rubber stem fail, the stems on my trailer would be well over 10 years old.

With my bikes I change my stems with every tire change, I would do this even if I was not using a TPMS.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I had a rubber one fail on my Road King. It had a goofy skull head for a cap that my father put on it. Front tire went flat at 60 mph. It was an interesting ride to the side of the road and a trailer trip home.

I buy the short rubber ones in bulk and put a new one on every tire or two. Never cared for the angled ones, since they can twist at speed. That said, never heard of an angled one failing either.

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
This might be of value if you have a problem out and about.

On the way to the V-Strom Gathering in 2011, AstroBob had a valve stem issue:

Bob also had problems on the Thursday between Wee Jasper and Tumut when something split his front valve stem and caused the sudden loss of air in the tyre.

Fortunately, three Telstra techs came along and one of them thought of a solution. He took a piece of heatshrink tubing that had a heat activated glue inside it and slid that over the valve stem. He shrunk it with a gas flame and Bob inflated the tyre to about 20psi. That got Bob into Tumut. The tyre was still holding air the next morning when Bob took the bike to a tyre shop.
For those not in Oz, Telstra is the biggest telco in Australia.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Nicad Garmin are the only brand I know of that askes for steel stems, all other brands are happy for you to use rubber stems.

I put a number of different brands on the scales and they all weigh about the same.

I have been using stem type TPMS for many many years and have never had a rubber stem fail, the stems on my trailer would be well over 10 years old.

With my bikes I change my stems with every tire change, I would do this even if I was not using a TPMS.
I have a Cyclops TPMS and they call for Metal stems. They used to say it was OK to use rubber, but not now..... I suppose to cover your Assets you should err on the side of not being sued. I think I like the outside install system the best of those I have seen here. Just rubber contact on the rim so no corrosion. Would make total sense in any repair kit. Nice and short to give room getting the pressure gauge on the valve.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This is similar to the "oil drain plug washer" argument.
A pair of tires average cost is $300. A pair of valve stems cost 79 cents. Do you want a $300 job to fail because of a 79 cent part?
I change them every time. Overkill? Certianly, but I'm not going to have a problem because of being too cheap to spend an extra 79 cents on my $300 set of tires.

Hah I don't change the oil drain plug washer either!

Probably jinxed myself now :grin2:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Buy a new one and replace it!

Lube it up a bit and use that special puller and pull the new one in!

Probably on Youtube somewhere.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I've used the 90° metal valve stems in the past. They work great and allow easy air ups.
If you turn the 90 degree stem so its inline w/ the wheel it'll make it even easier to check the air pressure plus it does not stick out past the spokes to get hung up on stuff and you can read the pressure from either side of the wheel.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I had aluminum 90 degree stems. I was concerned one would get damaged by a rock or something so I replaced them with the standard rubber 412's again. That's when I noticed the corrosion between the aluminum and steel wheel.
Exactly.

I replace the rubber valve stems with every tire change, and I will not use the aluminum replacements; they're too vulnerable. I can see a slight case for using high quality metal 90 degree stems on a sportbike (no fleaBay cheapies) because access can be a pain with 17" wheels and giant rotors. However, these things have absolutely no business on an "adventure" bike, and in any case access the valve stem is not an issue at all on a V-Strom.

I know the metal valve stems have their fans, who I have now offended greatly. So let me ask: when is the last time you replaced the seal or o-ring? Can you even get these parts?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts