StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should know the answer to this, but I don't, and I couldn't find the answer online.

As far as the tire codes go, I know what the speed rating is, and I know what the load rating is, but what are they referring to when they say a tire is a "Type E" tire or a "Type G" tire, etc? For instance, Battlewings come in different types in the same size, and my S10 came with Type E Battlewings as OEM, but how are they different from say, a Type G? I've noticed that other manufacturers don't seem to classify their tires this way. Can anyone explain it?

·
Registered
402 Posts
This appears to be on topic:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/motorcycle-tires-101-guide

What do the B, C, E, etc. after the tire size mean?
If you see a letter and number combo listed after a tire size, that is a tire “service description.” Service descriptions all have a load and speed index, which are easily converted from a number of commonly available tables.
There is also additional, optional information you mayu see which can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It’s sometimes information that the tire producer gives to further clarify what the tire belongs on, or what job the tire was designed to do. It may indicate a slightly different version of a tire that is made specifically for a certain new model of bike, at the motorcycle manufacturer's request. Michelin Pilot Road 3 Tires are a good example of this. The “B” service description denotes a tire with extra sidewall stiffeners added. If you are unsure what a service description means, consult your friendly Gear Geek for clarification.

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
Specs per Type for Battlewings:

BW501 type / Speed Rating / Tread Width / Tread Depth / Approved Rim Size

G / 59V / 3.9 / 8 / 2.15

E / 59V / 4.3 / 6 / 2.50

J / 59H / 4.3 / 5 / 2.50

BW502 type / Speed Rating / Tread Width / Tread Depth / Approved Rim Size

G / 69V / 6.1 / 9 / 3.50-4.50

E / 69V / 6.1 / 10 / 3.50-4.50

J / 69H / 6.1 / 9 / 3.50-4.50

Hope this helps.

PS: tread depth is measured in 32nd's

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stalky Tracker, that's awesome, and thank you! Where did you locate that info?

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
They use to keep it buried deep and well hidden on their website. I did screen prints the first time I found it. Enough people must have asked or bugged them about it that is now easier to find.

Bridgestone Motorcycle Tires

If you click on the "Tire Details" box it should expand and provide the information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts