StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Is there any such thing as a tire thread here? Yeah, I know, it's right beside the oil thread!

A while ago I saw some discussion about tires - makes, models, opinions. Ring any bells?

When I bought my V-Strom 1000 the previous owner (I think he's a member here, too) had put a Pilot Road Trail on the front and a Pilot Road on the rear. I'll tell ya, that was a stroke of genius. The front is wearing at about the same rate as the rear - now at 3mm front and 2mm rear. That along with the squaring off of the tread and the cupping of the front means the time is nigh for replacements.

As much as I LOVE Pilot Roads, I think I'm going with a 90/10 set this time. I have done a few gravel & dirt roads with her and think the Pilot Roads don't really belong there. Her new life starting next season will see some regular riding on unmaintained asphalt mountain roads - layers of old patches that are breaking up, asphalt potholes, dirt shoulders reaching well into where the pavement used to be and the odd dirt road. Is that 90/10 territory?

I always liked the Pilot Roads and Michelin, in general, and Shinko's (have a set on my Trophy). I had a pair of Pirelli Angel St's before and hated them. Conti I think are probably good, but never had them on a bike.

So, a little guidance please? I'll still need both arms and legs for riding - just sayin'. :wink2:

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'm running Shinko 705's on one of my GS's and Ananke 3's on the other previously running Metzler Torrance Next's.

Out of the 3 I cannot help but love the 705's. 1st the price is unbeatable and they perform just as well as the others. Sure the longevity might be a few percent lower but at 1/2 the cost of the others and I change my own tires its a no brainer.

I have this current set of Shinko up to Goose bay Labrador to the extreme twisties of NC/TN/WV. Highway, gravel, twisties rain, shine, cold, hot they just work.

The Anakees are nice tires as well but extremely noisy. The Metzlers handled well and were to be a long wear tire. I had the f/r shot at 5,000 miles. Too much money for too little mileage.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
The 705's are good and an 805 made the twisties even better.
I just mounted a rear MotoZ Tractionator and it seems to be noisy. It's a really gnarly looking tire too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running Shinko 705's on one of my GS's and Ananke 3's on the other previously running Metzler Torrance Next's.

Out of the 3 I cannot help but love the 705's. 1st the price is unbeatable and they perform just as well as the others. Sure the longevity might be a few percent lower but at 1/2 the cost of the others and I change my own tires its a no brainer.

I have this current set of Shinko up to Goose bay Labrador to the extreme twisties of NC/TN/WV. Highway, gravel, twisties rain, shine, cold, hot they just work.

The Anakees are nice tires as well but extremely noisy. The Metzlers handled well and were to be a long wear tire. I had the f/r shot at 5,000 miles. Too much money for too little mileage.
I just mounted a rear MotoZ Tractionator and it seems to be noisy. It's a really gnarly looking tire too.
Thanks guys. Looks like the Shinko 705 is the way to go. Notacop, isn't the 805 more like a 50/50 tire? And still better in the twisties than the 705? You gotta give me more details!

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks guys. Looks like the Shinko 705 is the way to go. Notacop, isn't the 805 more like a 50/50 tire? And still better in the twisties than the 705? You gotta give me more details!

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I've been using the 705's for a few years been getting about 5K out of the rear tire. For giggles i got an 805 to try. During the break in ride up the mountains the bike just felt better in the turns on the 805 than the 705's did. Maybe rounder profile and yes, big blocks. The 805 seem to transition from right to left more smoothly. It felt more planted too. It felt fine on a ride to Colorado for the Cache rally and back but that was mostly slab work.
For looking like something that might be at home in the mud neither the 805 nor the Tractionator, for the short test ride, feel lumpy when rolling.
Besides the WeeStrom is a pseudo Adv bike that should have capable tires should the occasion arise. Using Street only tires would just limit the flexibility the bike provides. Not to say that a competent rider can't do a lot of miles on a poor road surface with street tires.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been using the 705's for a few years been getting about 5K out of the rear tire. For giggles i got an 805 to try. During the break in ride up the mountains the bike just felt better in the turns on the 805 than the 705's did. Maybe rounder profile and yes, big blocks. The 805 seem to transition from right to left more smoothly. It felt more planted too. It felt fine on a ride to Colorado for the Cache rally and back but that was mostly slab work.
For looking like something that might be at home in the mud neither the 805 nor the Tractionator, for the short test ride, feel lumpy when rolling.
Besides the WeeStrom is a pseudo Adv bike that should have capable tires should the occasion arise. Using Street only tires would just limit the flexibility the bike provides. Not to say that a competent rider can't do a lot of miles on a poor road surface with street tires.
Thanks man! That's what I wanted to hear. I had pretty much decided on the 705's, but now suspect the 804/805 will be the ones. I didn't consider them before because I ASSUMED (never assume!) they'd be crap on tarmac and noisy. The opposite seems to be the case. After your suggestion I started investigating and was very happy with what I read. AND they cost even less than the 705's!

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
10 Posts
The MotoZ look amazing for dirt riding. I wonder how they'll hold up on the concrete. All rubber correct?
To my understanding, a tire must have some silica for it to perform in the wet. Anyone here who can speak to that?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You'd also be surprised how well TKC 80 work on pavement as well as off. I had a well worn set on my 07 GS when I bought it and put about 1,000 miles on them before swapping them out for an upcoming trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts