StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tires other than stock will fit ?

Are the wheels the same size as the DL1000 ?

I'm assuming Metzler will make Tourances for it but they tend to be pricy. Some of the Dual Sport guys have had good luck with Shinko, saying they wear well, grip well and sell cheap.

PS I'm really looking for highway tires, not off road

TIA
Bobb

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Tires

The 1000/650 have the same tires sizes.

Bridgestone already makes the 020 (sport-touring) tire which is a Z-rated radial tire in the 150/70/17 size. They are in the process of releasing the stock front size in the 020, as well. It's supposed to be a spring 04 release.

I had these on my SV650 and they were great. They gripped well and lasted a long time, as well. I got 6k out of the rear and 10k out of the front on my SV.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
020s sound good to me. You get what you pay for in tires. I would never trust one of those crap Taiwanese tires. Why buy a new bike and then save a few bucks on a life-and-death component like a tire?

just my .02 cents

btw I have the 020s on my current bike and they are good, long wearing tires. The DL650 is a lot of things, but it isn't a "dual-sport" bike. Hell even my KLR was a pig offroad. And it was a featherweight compared to the DL.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why buy a new bike and then save a few bucks on a life-and-death component like a tire?
I'm not looking for bad tires, I'm looking for cheap ones. It's fine to put on expensive sticky tires if you ride a few k per year.

In a peak year, I ride 60 k kilometers. If I can find tires at $300 a set that give me 80 % of the performance of $600 set, I'll certainly try them.

I'm hoping I can spoon a set of ME880s on since they should wear like cement.

Bobb

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bobb_Todd said:
In a peak year, I ride 60 k kilometers. If I can find tires at $300 a set that give me 80 % of the performance of $600 set, I'll certainly try them.
60K Kilometers in a year? In Canada? On a short season? I'm jealous LOL!
You must have a lot 'o spare time, dude. Still, I think it's the wrong place to save money. You only have two points of contact. Still. it's your life. :shock:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
60K Kilometers in a year? In Canada? On a short season? I'm jealous LOL!
To be fair that was a peak year. I do endurance riding and rode across Canada in 69 hrs. Also rode 18.5 k in the Ironbutt that year.

Also should point out that much of my riding is done in the US.

Bobb

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Bobb, I guess I shouldn't second-guess you on tires. 8)
So, you've chosen the DL650 for it's distance-riding potential?
69 hrs cross-Canada? :shock: :shock:
I once drove Toronto-Calgary in...I think 48 or 52 or something hours...and that was driving non-stop. Wow.
Please let us know your ongoing impressions of the DL650 for wind-protection, comfort, reliability and so on.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please let us know your ongoing impressions of the DL650 for wind-protection, comfort, reliability and so on.
I had an ST1100. I wanted something lighter and more gravel road capable.

Too early to predict much as I am trying to get it broken in. It will definately need a bigger shield. The adjustable one helps but it's not tall enough. Although I am only 5' 8' I need to be able to drink, eat and smoke while riding.

Seat seems OK. A little hard but in the long run that's good.

RPMs should be in the 5-6k range for touring which isn't bad. It seems smooth enough at this point.

Adding Givi bags and a few other "essentials" in the next few weeks. Should be able to provide a better assessment after I go to Texas at month end
Bobb

·
Registered
351 Posts
Tires

Maybe try buying tires over the border in the US.

www.swmototires.com looks like a good place to get cheaper tires.

The Tourances are about $500. Cnd a set in Canada.

SWMOTOTIRES sells the Tourances for around $200. US a set and I have been told that shipping is free within the US if you buy more then one tire.

Get yourself a mail box # over the border.

Scooter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts