StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with tires getting into the insane price range and options being very limited, I'm looking at different options. One size for the front that keeps coming up is 110/90x19. I know its about .80 inches in diameter larger and have read other threads where some have said it affects handling. What exactly does it do, in detail, to the handling?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've found that it's usually best to stay with stock size on this kind of bike. YMMV.
A larger diameter tire will, marginally, slow the steering both by more gyroscopic effect & raising the front.
Braking will, marginally, require more lever pressure.

Many like the SHINKO line of tires. Have you priced those?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Many like the SHINKO line of tires. Have you priced those?"

I have. The Shinko 712 is what started this question.

·
Registered
666 Posts
There are a decent number of tires out there under a hundred bucks each shipped.

I just don't see the point in changing sizes on the counts of trying to be cheap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a decent number of tires out there under a hundred bucks each shipped.

I just don't see the point in changing sizes on the counts of trying to be cheap.
I only find two, Bridgestone T30 and Avon Storm 3D X-M, that are street only and they're well over 100. ea, and in the correct size for these bikes. I don't know any, other than the Shinko 705, that under 100. ea. This is why I'm asking. At 4K to 5K life, the prices are insane. Some of these tires cost more for per pair than 4 tires for my car. At least my car get 30K to 40K life.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
At 4K to 5K life, the prices are insane. Some of these tires cost more for per pair than 4 tires for my car. At least my car get 30K to 40K life.
You seem surprised -- is this your first motorcycle or something? :biggrinjester:

And besides, there are plenty of tires in the correct sizes that reliably last 10,000 miles or more.

Yes, there have been some folks running cheap 100/90-19 or 110/90-19 front tires on their V-Stroms.

No, it's not really optimal. It will handle a little bit different, but it won't magically toss you into the weeds right away. It's probably no worse than a worn tire the correct size. No one's made the 11:00 news in a grisly heap of flaming wreckage just because they were using a slightly different front tire size on their Vee.

Is the tradeoff right for you? The only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself and balance the satisfaction of epic cheaposity against slightly altered handling.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I only find two, Bridgestone T30 and Avon Storm 3D X-M, that are street only and they're well over 100. ea, and in the correct size for these bikes. I don't know any, other than the Shinko 705, that under 100. ea. This is why I'm asking. At 4K to 5K life, the prices are insane. Some of these tires cost more for per pair than 4 tires for my car. At least my car get 30K to 40K life.
I get about 10k out of a 705 front, and 5.5k out of a rear. My KTM 450 will eat up a set of tires within 400-500 miles (if not less); that gets $$.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm at 9500 miles with Michelin Pilot Road 4's, and still have a couple thou of life left (not at the wear bars yet).
This was with the PR4 Trail front, and PR4 Road rear (road has harder compound down the middle, however, front doesn't come in Road, in the Strom size).
I get the pair for $313, delivered. Not bad, considering the mileage (and how ridiculously sticky these things are).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm at 9500 miles with Michelin Pilot Road 4's, and still have a couple thou of life left (not at the wear bars yet).
This was with the PR4 Trail front, and PR4 Road rear (road has harder compound down the middle, however, front doesn't come in Road, in the Strom size).
I get the pair for $313, delivered. Not bad, considering the mileage (and how ridiculously sticky these things are).
I agree that $313 is in the range of average. The problem is, my budget can't handle that, especially when you add another $60 to mount and balance.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Excellent chart! That helps considerably.
Where or how does load rating come into play here?
It is not covered in the chart. You'd need to check the tire load rating against the bike load rating printed on the frame. The load rating of the tires would have to be lower than the frame info to make a difference. Also, even if the tires are considered safe to use, going with something other than the optimum size may feel different. I once had a 160/60-17 on the back and I didn't like how vague it felt leaned over.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I agree that $313 is in the range of average. The problem is, my budget can't handle that, especially when you add another $60 to mount and balance.
Mile per dollar, I've found that the Bridgestone Battle Wings (NOT the crappy stock Trail Wings) cost significantly less (about $215 - $220 a set shipped at the moment) than most alternatives (Michelins, Metzeler, etc. are all $300+) and perform and last VERY well on pavement.

Also, mount 'em yerdamself and save big. It ain't that hard, and you get to take your time, clean your wheels, replace the valve stems, balance carefully, and generally do it right. :thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanx. The mount it myself option is looking like a good one if I want to save a few bucks. I didn't know the load rating was listed on the frame. Good info.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i've used tourance on the strom forever, and get over 10K miles on them. it's one of the secret advantages of a bike like this -- thicker rubber.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Mile per dollar, I've found that the Bridgestone Battle Wings (NOT the crappy stock Trail Wings) cost significantly less (about $215 - $220 a set shipped at the moment) than most alternatives (Michelins, Metzeler, etc. are all $300+) and perform and last VERY well on pavement.

Also, mount 'em yerdamself and save big. It ain't that hard, and you get to take your time, clean your wheels, replace the valve stems, balance carefully, and generally do it right. :thumbup:
I'm with bwringer, Battle Wings and mount yourself. $219.98 for a set at the moment and free shipping. :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts