StromTrooper banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
With my last 2 sets of 3's they started to weep air when the tread got low.

I run TPMS and noticed I was needing to add air in both cases, I put the wheel in my pool and could find no evidence of a leak.

I filled a spray bottle with soapy water and squirted the treads, I found hundreds of white spots, those white spots were tiny groups of bubbles.

If you find your loosing air it's time to replace them.

Reactions: Motorpsychology

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just replaced the tires on my Triumph Trophy with the same Michelin Road Pilot 4 GT's I used the last two times. I paid within $5 of the same price I paid in 2015 and 2018 and Michelin has a fall rebate on motorcycle tires until the end of the month. Strike while the iron is hot.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,307 Posts
I think you guys have convinced me to go ahead and buy a couple sets of tires.

I'm getting a Vstrom again, possibly this weekend, and my girlfriend has a 2004 Wee. So it's all the same tire sizes.

She currently has a set of Heidenau K60 Scouts, but they're nearing 8 years old. Plenty of tread left. They aren't showing crazing or getting super hard, but I feel it would be wise to replace them sooner than later.

The Wee3 I'm going to look at soon may well have original equipment tires on it. It's a 2019 and hasn't hit 10000 miles.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
So, I usually buy my tires from Cyclegear, they have a store in town and do mounting and balancing at a reasonable price when I bring my wheels into the store. Checking their site, my first choice, Anakee III, no rear in our size. Shinko 705, good enough tire, not enough mileage out of a set though, and they didn't even have the front tire in our size. Battlewings, I've used before, not bad, but no thanks, not at that price. I finally found Metzeler Tourance front and rear for $321 with free shipping, they'll get bagged and stored in the spare bedroom for 6 or 8 months, then mounted before next summers 2 week trip. I have a feeling tires might be like ammo by spring or summer when I really need a set to leave town for a couple weeks.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,307 Posts
I'm looking at the Mitas E-07+ for my next set. I don't actually need the dirt capability, but I got ridiculous mileage out of the rear one.

It seems as of the regular E-07+ front in our size is out of stock everywhere already. Have to get the Dakar. It's $20 or so more and a bit heavier, but it'll do. I am not religious about matching front and rear tires, but might as well since I'm stocking up ahead of time.

Also considering the Continental Trail Attack 3. Supposedly a great road tire despite the name.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
I'm looking at the Mitas E-07+ for my next set. I don't actually need the dirt capability, but I got ridiculous mileage out of the rear one.

It seems as of the regular E-07+ front in our size is out of stock everywhere already. Have to get the Dakar. It's $20 or so more and a bit heavier, but it'll do. I am not religious about matching front and rear tires, but might as well since I'm stocking up ahead of time.

Also considering the Continental Trail Attack 3. Supposedly a great road tire despite the name.
I had the Conti Trail Attack 3 on my DL1000. Decent enough tire, but pretty hard compound so they were not real sticky. I have no idea why they call them a Trail attack, the tread pattern isn't that much different from the tread pattern on the Road Attacks.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,307 Posts
Right, the person recommending them mentioned that they weren't great for trails despite the name.

Hard compound seems good for me. Should last longer. I'm not pushing performance in corners.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I'm looking forward to trying these, the Anakee III have been my choice for several sets of tires now, good mileage, good on road, fine for gravel and maintained dirt roads that I ride on and great pricing the last couple years. Reviews on these are good, I'll see.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2014 DL1000ADV 2016 DR650SE
63 Posts
I just recently got a Shinko 705 rear and a 804 front (both radials) from chapmoto for $210 delivered.
Don't know how the longevity will be, but the price was right.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
With my last 2 sets of 3's they started to weep air when the tread got low.

I run TPMS and noticed I was needing to add air in both cases, I put the wheel in my pool and could find no evidence of a leak.

I filled a spray bottle with soapy water and squirted the treads, I found hundreds of white spots, those white spots were tiny groups of bubbles.

If you find your loosing air it's time to replace them.
Old semi driver maxim- 90% of tire problems happen in the last 10% of tread.

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

The Dakar is the same tread pattern as the Plus, but with a stiffer carcass and bead; something to consider if you are mounting them yourself.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I just recently got a Shinko 705 rear and a 804 front (both radials) from chapmoto for $210 delivered.
Don't know how the longevity will be, but the price was right.
I've run the 705 on my 650 and 1000, fine tires on pavement or gravel, good grip and such, but poor longevity. I pull my wheels and bring them in for mounting and balancing, and I was doing that too frequently with the Shinkos, going with a longer life tire saved trouble and mounting costs.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
883 Posts
I tend to agree with keeping some spare tyres in storage nowadays. Last time I ordered MT21's for my trail bike, the shop took a while to source them. However I got a couple of spares as I was aware of the scarcity. Then when changing tyres on my X-Adv, my favoured Michelins were not available in the rear size so I had to change brand to Dunlops. Fortunately the Dunlops are good.

My Mechanic also tells me he has long waits for spare parts from his usual suppliers. Some models of Bikes are also hard to get. I could go on.......

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,307 Posts
Anakee 3 rears are now OOS everywhere. :cry:
Yep. I could not find a non-Dakar Mitas E-07+ front anywhere either, so one of my pairs was slightly mismatched - Dakar front, non-Dakar rear.

Front from my Dunlop Trailmax Mission set arrived yesterday.

We'll be good to go on tires for quite some time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm diggin' the Tourances so far. It's nice to have at least a little confidence when I'm off pavement. But I only bought them because the Anakees III wasn't available - I loved those! I almost had a set, but UPS couldn't find my apartment and I wasn't keeping up on tracking info and they got sent back to RMATV, and then were not available next time I looked. Oh well, I'm plenty happy with the Tourance.

·
Vendor
6,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I remember the Battlewing's stock on my Vee2 being exceptionally good tires. Much better on fire roads that the tread pattern would have suggested and good mileage (~13K miles).

They are good fall back choice IMO.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I have a set of Anakee 3's on order,

There were a few places with nil stock in OZ

I have my fingers crossed they arrive.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts