StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I bought my Dunlop Mission tires about two months ago figuring exactly that. Probably put them on next spring.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Earlier this summer I tried to get some tires. Nearly all sources were back ordered for the kind(s) that I wanted. Finally found some in another country. I now have a spare set that are stored in a dark, dry space so I am not too worried about them "rotting" by the time they go on next spring.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bypass the need for new tires and buy a new or new to you bike instead! That seems to be my MO these days.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
My last set of Michelin Anakee IIIs lasted about 30.0000 km, and I just put a new set on. I hope I'm going to be OK for the next few years.
Good lord - how hard are those tires? 18,000 miles on a motorcycle tire?

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I ran some Anakee 3's for a while and got nearly 20,000 kms out of them. Normally I get half that out of tires. You would think that they wouldn't work that good being so hard but I found them quite good on pavement and acceptable on gravel. I swapped them out for some Mita E07's for better off road capability but I wouldn't hesitate to put Anakees back on if I was doing 90:10 pavement/off road.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
18,000 miles on a motorcycle tire?
Have to qualify that a bit. It's a 100% road tire and I only use it on road. I'm not an aggressive rider, and a large % of my rides are commute, one-up with virtually no luggage. Also, the roads here in NL are generally excellent. You can't really get better conditions for longevity that that.

·
Vendor
6,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Have to qualify that a bit. It's a 100% road tire and I only use it on road. I'm not an aggressive rider, and a large % of my rides are commute, one-up with virtually no luggage. Also, the roads here in NL are generally excellent. You can't really get better conditions for longevity that that.
The temperature of the road surface makes huge difference in tire wear. I'm guessing roads there don't get too hot there.

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
I go through 2 rears and 11/2 fronts a year on average. Always have at least 1 set or more in storage.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm guessing roads there don't get too hot there.
I don't know what you call "too hot", but our dear government executes the "National Heat Plan" when the temperature gets above 27 degreesC (80F), which it only does a few times a year on average. So I guess our definition of "pretty hot" is not the same as that of some others on here.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I run and love the Anakee 3's but get very surprised when I here the sort of distances some riders get from them, I don't keep "very accurate" numbers just close enough is good enough but I get around half what others get and would call them soft not hard.

I found them after attending a group trouper ride, it was part wet, part dry and part dirt, the guys on the 3's were doing heaps better than any of the other riders, when I got my first set it was a huge surprise to me how well they worked in all conditions, I'm a huge fan of dirt and try to add it to all my long distance excursions, I did not expect a long life I just wanted grip & I got it.

Whenever I fit new tires I brake test them, I have some local roads where I test them for braking distance and the 3's have been a standout.

Thanks to this eye opener I will start shopping for my next set or 2 now.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Good lord - how hard are those tires? 18,000 miles on a motorcycle tire?
I've gotten at least that much life, sometimes more (>20,000mi) from my past A3s. They went all around the northeast in all seasons, and across the US as well. I am a very aggressive rider on backroads but mellow on the highway. Lots of stop and go in the city.

They weren't hard at all by the end, and handling is consistently good but the ride quality gets harsher the longer I stretch it.

For half the price, my dunlop trailsmart rear is totally bald with 3/4ths the distance, and wasn't nearly as good of a tire. Still worth the price in a pinch, but wouldn't run them regularly since it would mean changing them more often.

I always run them a bit over 40psi, maybe that's part of it?

·
Registered
695 Posts
They can't get enough truck drivers and people at the docks to move all the product sitting on container ships.
We have a "Secretary of Transportation" . Why are we being shown it is not an area of concern? (hint) "You will have nothing, and you will be completely happy".

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
If you are looking for something else to do, try finding a clear replacement shield for your helmet.
What kind of helmet? The ones my Shoei uses seem to be in good supply

·
Registered
16,018 Posts
Actually between the set of 804/5's I got on the shelf and the 705 front and the 805 rear on the salvage bike i may be good for far too long. i still need to wear out the MotoZ ADV tires on the Wee now. Oh, Dang I just bought a BMW 750GS that has new tires too. What i gonna did?
If you want to cry about inflation, go back to the Carter years for reference and STFU.
You can lower your inflation to a comfortable rate when riding in the dirt.

·
Registered
2011 V-Strom 650 and 2018 V-Strom 1000XT
40 Posts
My last set of Michelin Anakee IIIs lasted about 30.0000 km, and I just put a new set on. I hope I'm going to be OK for the next few years.
Ditto. Although I can generally squeak out a little over 20k miles on Anakee 3s (They’re pretty roached by then!). Without a doubt the best tires I’ve ever had on a bike. I had two sets on my 650 and 1 set on my Tiger 800. Dry grip. Amazing. Wet grip. Amazing. Dirt grip. Good enough for me 😄
Tried finding a set for my 1000 a month ago, but couldn’t find them anywhere. So I just replaced the Tourances that came on it with another set of Tourances. They’re the next best thing IMHO.

HOPEFULLY the Ministry of Plenty will increase rations soon…….😋

Reactions: Ironlady

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe I should buy a few sets of tires now and store them in the attic...?
NOT a good idea! (I know, I tried that.) The heat and cold of attics will age those tires to rock in no time. But the basement might work...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I store lots of tires, in a closet in my basement. Consistent temp year round, no electric motor ozone, dark. They will keep for years.

As for mileage comparisons, they are a waste of time. The type of road surface has a huge impact - smooth asphalt will yield twice the mileage vs chip seal surfaces. Then how aggressive/passive the rider is, with throttle and brakes. For the individual that does the same routes at the same speeds, a comparison is valid. If people ride together and are very similar in riding style, a comparison has some validity. Beyond that its a waste of time. Chain mileage follows tire mileage - aggressive riders get less.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts