StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

Vendor
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into this topic the hard way this week while trying to order tires for my resto-projects. Most of the vintage motorcycle tires come from asia and there are two factors at work. A pandemic related rubber shortage and a pandemic related shipping container log jam. In the vintage tire market the shortage is already here. Prices are expected to rise on all tires soon. I was able to find what I needed to get by or now, but had to make compromises.

Might want to start looking at your tires and planning ahead.

Registered
Yep, inflation is out of control now. :mad: Thanks, Mr. Biden and the fed.

No discounts, and Suzuki motorcycles are pretty hard to find today.

They can't get enough truck drivers and people at the docks to move all the product sitting on container ships.

I could start a political rant right now but....馃嵑

Registered
Tire shortages or at least diminished supply are across the board not just for vintage stuff. Recently shopping for a new set of shoes for the GS lots of tires were "sold out"

Registered
FYI - We drove from AZ to TX last Thursday and have never before seen so many semi's on the road. Both ways were the same and virtually every rest stop and truck stop was packed.

Premium Member
Over the last 30 years or so, most of the fat has been wrung out of supply chains, both global and domestic. Everything is "just in time". That's great as long as everything works as expected, but it's important to remember that the needed lead time on those expectations is on the order of 18-36 months. The pandemic has put paid to all that. Not only have supplies been disrupted, but demand had changed. People want different things and it takes time to adjust. The labor market has shifted, different skills are in demand, some people can't work due to things like childcare issues. And yes, some people would rather live off stimulus checks as long as they can rather than work. I think that's a smaller % than some believe.
Bottom line, weird random shortages are going to keep happening for a while.

Premium Member
Yep, inflation is out of control now. :mad: Thanks, Mr. Biden and the fed.

No discounts, and Suzuki motorcycles are pretty hard to find today.

They can't get enough truck drivers and people at the docks to move all the product sitting on container ships.

I could start a political rant right now but....馃嵑
Yeah right, there are no other factors that are affecting worldwide prices, just the president and federal reserve.
Anyone who thinks inflation is out of control now sure didn't live through the 75-85 time frame. :)
The year-to-year numbers look a little high, but that's mostly because prices a year ago were suppressed. If you go back two years the annual rate is a lot less alarming. But that's not the number that will get people all riled up and angry, so why report it?? :)

And if you think inflation is really going to be out of control, then you must believe everyone buying long-term T-bills, and everyone doing mortgage lending is a complete moron. Those rates indicate they think inflation is going to remain low for a very long time.

Premium Member
Yep, inflation is out of control now. :mad:
Tire inflation. I see what you did there. :D

Thanks, Mr. Biden and the fed.
Can we please not go there? Most of us come here to get away from politics. At least move it to Off Topic And Member Therapy if you must. (y)

Registered
2006 DL1000
You're joking, right? They'll dry rot. You don't want to do that.
LOL, Yeah, I was MOSTLY kidding, but I did think seriously about it for a bit. Thanks for the warning. :):)

Although, maybe if I bought some new ones now, I could try coating them in silicone grease! That鈥檚 not supposed to break rubber down, so it should help preserve them, right? Okay, I鈥檒l stop now. Seriously, you probably shouldn鈥檛 try that, either at home or anywhere else... :LOL:

Premium Member
You're joking, right? They'll dry rot. You don't want to do that.
Guess it depends on how slowly you go through them. I typically have a couple extras waiting on the shelf, sometimes multiple sets if there is a good sale. The CT's last forever but at 5K miles a set for the other bike and who knows how long for the front on the FJR - better to have some on hand.
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: nvr2old

Registered
LOL, Yeah, I was MOSTLY kidding, but I did think seriously about it for a bit. Thanks for the warning. :):)

Although, maybe if I bought some new ones now, I could try coating them in silicone grease! That鈥檚 not supposed to break rubber down, so it should help preserve them, right? Okay, I鈥檒l stop now. Seriously, you probably shouldn鈥檛 try that, either at home or anywhere else... :LOL:
So a good point was brought up in another comment. Basically, some people have multiple bikes, or do way more riding than I do, so they'll go through tires before they go bad. Didn't consider that.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts