StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
B
I'm soon buying my first set of new tires for my 2014 DL1000A. My rear is well worn - a bit past the wear indicators but no hints of cord yet. The front looks OK by tread but it sits in the sun all day I figure it's time to swap both.

Anyhow, would anyone mind double checking that these two tires area appropriate, to calm my newbie fears?

1. Rear - stock tire labeled "150/70R17M/C 69V" - new tire is "150/70R17 69W" purchased from https ://amazon. com/gp/product/B00LUUQBL6/
  2. Front - stock tire labeled "110/80R19M/C 59V" - new tire is "110/80R19 59V" purchased from https ://amazon. com/gp/product/B00LUUQYMC/
I'm fairly confident these are correct tires for the bike but I'm worried about some nuance of the naming scheme being wrong.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Looks good to me. I don't know if you have a local shop that you are going to use to have the tires installed but check installation prices if that's the case. Often, they will give you a discount on installation and balancing if you buy the tire from them. They will be your go-to place if you have a problem, so consider that when you order by email. I'm really cheap (Dutch heritage) but have finally elected to order my tires from a small local shop. They will stand behind their work and give you a fair deal. Plus, it helps them stay in business which helps you in the long run.
I'm not coming down on riders that order through the internet. Just wanting them to think about it. Local businesses are being strangled by the internet so if we don't do business with them, they will soon be gone. End of soapbox:).
Your tire selections look fine. Bobby

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
The letter not matching up is the "speed rating"......W higher rating than V. Are you sure it is a W, never heard of that? Usually goes from V to Z.

What brand/model of tires?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have ordered tires online before, and found small transcription errors in the text like above. Specifically speed rating as well for a set of tires I bought for my old interceptor - was listed online as T or H, but I knew it should be V, and it was upon arrival. If you are unsure, check the manufacturers page and see if that particular tire is even made with different ratings, or email the seller and get it in print so you can dispute it if needed. I sometimes also like to save or snapshot the web page I ordered through, so I can go back with evidence if there is a variance in the end, or the ad expired. Not all sites let you go back to archived purchases like ebay or Amazon do.

But I also second the point about a local shop. I have built a great relationship with my local guy, who goes miles out of his way to take care of me now (and my three bikes). I know I am saving big in the long run, and he bumps me to the front of the line every time. He normally is very busy and has a long line for service, which attests to his quality.

But we all need to know how to change or repair a tire anyway, and the further you roam, the higher your maintenance and repair skills should be, so to each their own... :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
... I don't know if you have a local shop that you are going to use to have the tires installed but check installation prices if that's the case. Often, they will give you a discount on installation and balancing if you buy the tire from them. Bobby
+1 If you are having the tires installed for you the saving can be a wash if you find the right shop. Where I go (Bent Lever Motor Sports) it's $20 for mount and balance if I buy the tire from them, $30 if I bring in my own tire and they did better on the price than I could find on my last set.
Cheers,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses everyone! I feel much less worried purchasing these tires.

The letter not matching up is the "speed rating"......W higher rating than V. Are you sure it is a W, never heard of that? Usually goes from V to Z.
You're right, it was a typo. It was meant to be a "V", matching the other tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts