StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under heavy braking, my fonrt tire is rubbing on somthing; as it is hard to see down there (without going over the handlebars), does anyone have a sugestion of what this might be? I have a fenda extenda, if that helps.

Thanks,
Christian J.S.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have you checked that the brake stuff (lines, calipers, etc) are not loose? Also check to see if your tire has anything stuck in it. I have the fenda extender and cant see how that could cause a problem unless that is loose. But check the fender. I had to losen my fender to put it on. Putting back the brake line bolts was tricky.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Also check the tire pressure. Too little air will have your tire to a point where the squeal you hear will sound like something rubbing.
Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
None of the above

Unfortunately, it's not either. I have 36 PSI, and I can find nothing that is lose... Other ideas?

·
Registered
888 Posts
My new DL did the same thing for a while, under moderate to heavy braking it sounded like the front tire was half flat. Went away after a while. My 1st new DL didn't do it! Go figure? Disc pads settling in?

·
I rock at logic
368 Posts
My Wee feels the same way. Very strange feeling, but I don't think it's the tire rubbing on anything... I'm not sure what it is.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Under hard braking the front brakes will sometimes make the front fender rattle or buzz, also the stock front tire is noisey under hard braking, mine would howl like a off road truck tire under hard braking.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Harmonic noise

I have an 07 Wee and have noticed some harmonic noise several times while braking. When this occurs it does feel as though something is rubbing due to the high frequency vibrations, a slight groaning sound is also heard. I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing, it's just a thought. Be safe and have fun Mike D.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe so

I think this vibration thing may be it. So hopefully on Friday--when I get a shinny new fork brace--all that buzzing will be no more.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Then jack up the front end and spin the tire for anything that looks out of place, even minimally. Tire to fender clearance would probably stay the same in this case, but I would check all of it for tightness/straightness. IF you have a fork brace, loosen your pinch bolts and axle, check to make sure the brace is on straight, and re-tighten everything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeaa, fork brace, but ...

The KB fork brace from Murph's Kits is great--no more vibration; however, I'm scraping the fenda extenda. The only fix comming to mind is a strip of stiff plastic along the back to keep the finder form flexing (I've checked many times, and no, it's not lose).

http://www.defusingdanger.org/bike/tirerub.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts