StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fellow Canuckiods...man Im gettin sick of getting ripped off for tires up here in our great country.

Something is really rotten in Denmark (or Swift Current).

The last tire I put on the back of my Wee is a Tourance, listed by most dealers at around 270.00

I ordered one on-line from the States, and with shipping and exchange payed 135.00 and no tax

I am currently in the hunt for a new front skin before heading out on my Nfld run.

Parts Canada lists the Metzeler Tourance at 223.00, I can order from the States for 96.00

Parts Canada lists the Anakee at 239.00, I can get it send from the US for 98.00 and 10 clams shipping

The Dunlop D607 is 180.00 at Parts Canada, from Motorcycle Accessories Warehouse, its 75 bucks.

Not meaning to pick on parts canada, as I have also checked prices at Motovan, and these seem to be the 2 places our local dealers order tires from.

Something is brutally wrong here, no?

I am on my 4th back tire, and gettin ready for my 3rd front, all in one year of riding, so I hope you can see my point (not the one on my noggin)

My rant for the day.....

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I agree, totally brutal.

I may have lucked out and made the acquaintance of the Canadian Dunlop importer. I'n supposed to be getting a set of 607's for $191.00, shipping and tax included. I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now thats more like it. I wonder what the mileage life is on the rear 607?

I am extremely happy so far with the rear tourance, it has gobs of rubber on it.

I have almost 10,000km on the Tourance and it has probably 70% of its tread left. Traction is great in the dry, and very respectably in the wet. I dont do any off-roading at all.

I tried the Michelin Pilot Road and was very disappointed in its performance, other than in the wet, there it really shined.

Cheers!

·
Registered
40 Posts
distanza

I just got a set of Avon Distanza this morning, 151.15 rear and 128.60 front, now it's just a matter of seeing how long they'll last. By the way I bought them at ADM in Quebec city.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are those prices in cdn loot?

where does your dealer order them in from?

cheers from Manitoba!

·
Registered
40 Posts
yes it is

it is in CDN funds, I don't really know where they're getting them but I know that they were listed at 157.00 front and239.00 back and the price I gave earlier were tax included just the mount(35 bucks each) was to be added.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered one online, a Dunlop D607 (front) for 103.00 cdn including shipping. I live close to the US border, have it shipped to a location just across the line. I mount my own tires, so will change the tire and then come back home with the new skin in place.....

I just dont see where the huge price diff comes into play.

cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just installed my Dunlop D607 front skin today. Was a snap to install, not nearly as stiff as the Tourance rear tire.

So far I have noticed that the bike seems to come out of corners very nicely, precise steering.

Will see how it is on our quick Iron Butt run Friday.

I managed over 20,000km on the Anakee I had on the front. Infact it still had lots of usable tread left, but had developed an odd wear pattern causing a shake at around 140kph.

Cheers!

ps: the 607 cost me 113.00 cdn, installed free (by me!)

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
What life did you get out of your original tires?

I'm heading to BC this summer and I've already got about 7,000 kms on my Bridgestones. I don't want tires to be an issue before the end of my trip.

·
Registered
180 Posts
TW's!

I just replaced my rear tire for the 1st time ever! At 16,000kms!

The front TW still has a few thousand Kms left on it and it too, is OEM. I never had a tire slip, in dry or wet and I drove gravel, mud, pavement, etc... And yes, I do twistys and use all of the available thread, on occasion.

In my 20 years of riding, that is the best mileage I've ever gotten, ever, on any motorcycle tire. I installed another TW as I cannot think of one complaint about them.

Does a Michelin Pilot stick better than a TW? Probably. But if I wanted a sports bike, I would've bought one. The Strom is the perfect blend of sport touring/ adventure tourer for me.

If I want to scrape the pegs, then I'll just hop on my buddy's CBR600F4i like I did last weekend and scrape away all day long. Then I'll go see my chiropractor and get back on the V.

Just my .02cents

V.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had to go State side to order my new hoops too. I went with the Pirelli Scorpion S/T's. I got both front and rear (including shipping, brokerage and exchange) for the price of the rear up here. Just watch UPS for shipping they seem to be the worst for brokerage fees. I think that was about $40.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I managed over 20,000km on the Anakee I had on the front. Infact it still had lots of usable tread left, but had developed an odd wear pattern causing a shake at around 140kph.

Cheers!

ps: the 607 cost me 113.00 cdn, installed free (by me!)[/quote]

Is it possible that a shake has caused the odd wear pattern? Many times a ballance or geometry problem can cause odd wear patterns and shakes at high speed. With a new tire and lots of tread the shake is dampened mostly out, but as the tire edges cup or other wear patterns wear in, the shake does not get dampened out anymore and it shows more in the bars. After a while the shaking/wearing begins to increase exponentially over time.

Have fun on the Iron Butt.

·
Registered
165 Posts
JBreedon said:
I had to go State side to order my new hoops too. I went with the Pirelli Scorpion S/T's. I got both front and rear (including shipping, brokerage and exchange) for the price of the rear up here. Just watch UPS for shipping they seem to be the worst for brokerage fees. I think that was about $40.
Where did you order them from?

and what was the total bill after customs duties/shipping etc.

I am thinging of either heading down to Watertown NY to get tires changed at the dealer there, or going to Zdeno's in Kitchener.

Watertown I can probably get best prices but I'll need to book it ahead of time to ensure they'll have tires in stock. Zdeno's probably call ahead, but I can visit my family since they are also down that way.

Either way I need to do this soon since I am at 19000 KM on the original tires. The rear is down to the wear bars in the center, and the fron is just about done as well.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My original TW lasted about 14,000km before the wear indicators were starting to show.

I had michelin pilot roads, didnt like them, and they didnt last long at all, they felt very uncertain during spirited cornering, spun easy coming out of corners. They were fantastic in the wet though. For the high price, and advertised as a "longer lasting" sport touring tire, they did not impress me at all.

The Tourance is shaping up to be a really great skin, I have over 10,000km on the back right now, its probably still got 70% tread left.

My front Anakee went 20,000km, lots of tread left, but goofy wear pattern causing a bit of vibration at high speed.

I think from now on, I will stick strictly with the Tourance. Take a look at the tread depth, they are supposedly the deepest rear tire tread you can buy. So far I am very impressed.

By the way, I do not do any off roading, so cant comment on the dirt performance. Any tire that is advertised as 90/10 or 95/5 is probably pretty useless off road IMHO.

Cheers!

I just put on 500km today with the new D607. I do feel a tiny weeble in the front at slow speed decel. I will play with the air abit, have the suzuki recommended 33 in it, but the tire is good for 42. Will try it at 36 and maybe at 30 to see what happens.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Bling man!

I ride 2 up 70% of the time and I usually do one long trip per season with 2 up PLUS 3 GIVI luggage. The rear tire finally gave up the ghost when I returned from a 4100km trip this past week. Tire pressure is 36 front and 38.5 rear.

Cheers!

V.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Re: TW's!

I had 16,000km on my stock Trailwings and experienced no issues with them either. I would say aprox 1/2 of my riding was done two up at that point and I too had some life left when I pulled them off due to an approaching trip that would have seen them very near the end of their useful life. Plus the fact I wasn't sure if I was going to have a passenger or if her bike would be fixed in time for the trip, helped the decision to change a little bit earlier than I would normally

Heavy said:
Vordak said:
I just replaced my rear tire for the 1st time ever! At 16,000kms!
16,000 kms? Very nice. Thanks.

Do you ride 2up with a load much or is it mostly solo stuff?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where did you order them from?

and what was the total bill after customs duties/shipping etc.

I am thinging of either heading down to Watertown NY to get tires changed at the dealer there, or going to Zdeno's in Kitchener.
I ordered them from ronayers.com. They had the best price and no problem shipping to Canada. The total for both tires including shipping was US$216.54. In addition I had to pay UPS about CA$70 on delivery (~$40 brokerage and ~$30 tax). I have heard that UPS Air has a cheaper brokerage fee. Ron Ayers was very helpful and answered my email right away so I'm sure they can work with you on that.

I have been very happy with the Pirelli's. They handle about the same as the TW on pavement but I find them much better off road. I haven't done allot of single track riding but they work well on double track and gravel. I had it stuck up to the seat in mud last week and the traction was minimal :D just as expected.

You will probably get a better deal in Watertown, but you could always spend the day at Bingaman's water park if you take it to Zdeno's.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The slight "weeble" I was experiencing with my new D607 seems to have cleared up using 36 psi.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts