StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used the search function so don't hang me. But after 5300 miles my oem battle wings look like this

I do 90% on road. The only off-road I do is gravel or hard pack dirt fire roads. Maybe a 2 track but never soft or mud. I don't know what to buy. I'm looking at anakee3 but also just looking for pr4 gt. I want a dual compound tire but I don't think they make that in normal 80/20 tires. I live in a decently curvy area but to get any good riding area it's an hour or more freeway so center patch is a issues.
I'm really upset these didn't give me more than 5300 miles. I do take off fast. Pull up the nose.. Downshift to brake. On my new dl1000a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
Freeway isn't hard on tires (unless heavily loaded) ... Hard acceleration and braking is. But then again, that's just part of of the fun :)

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I purchased my wee used with 7500 miles (stock tires). Put on a set of Anakee 3's, ran about 13k and just put on a set of PR4's (tl front & non tl rear). Anakee's ran fine, front tire could go another k and the rear was flatting in the middle some but maybe could run a few more k's. Changed due to a long road trip (all on pavement) coming up and don't want to deal with tires down the road.

If you get off the pavement, I would not think of running the PR's. So far they are great on the road, time will tell how long they will last. I have had good luck with Michelin and stay with them but there are many good tires out there as others will tell you.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
5300 miles on your Battlewings isn't great. But isn't all that bad either. Dual compound does not guarantee mileage. My rear PR4 Trail didn't look as good at your mileage as your Battlewing.

Battlewings are actually a pretty good all around tire. For under $210 per set they are a very good value.

I am running a set of Continental TKC 70's at the moment. Front tire grips better in gravel and dirt than the Shinko 705. While I am sure they will last longer than the Shinko 705, I don't yet know if they will outlast the Battlewings we have run on other Stroms. I will have around 5000 miles on them when I return.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Battlewings are the tires that lasted the longest for me. 5300 miles of hard riding is actually good, you'd prob get half that with a sport tire.

5300 miles on your Battlewings isn't great. But isn't all that bad either. Dual compound does not guarantee mileage. My rear PR4 Trail didn't look as good at your mileage as your Battlewing.

Battlewings are actually a pretty good all around tire. For under $210 per set they are a very good value.

I am running a set of Continental TKC 70's at the moment. Front tire grips better in gravel and dirt than the Shinko 705. While I am sure they will last longer than the Shinko 705, I don't yet know if they will outlast the Battlewings we have run on other Stroms. I will have around 5000 miles on them when I return.
WHERE DO YOU GUYS BUY YOUR TIRES??!?!

I've called many shops over several states when i was stuck in the us, my back tire ALONE cost me that much.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
American Moto Tire is where I get mine.

Battle Wing Page

Cannot say they ship to Canada or not, but ask them. No harm in that.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
American Moto Tire is where I get mine.

Battle Wing Page

Cannot say they ship to Canada or not, but ask them. No harm in that.
I always buy my tires from a local shop, i pay about 20$Can more per tire. The prices you pay in shops versus online is ridiculous...

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Null 13..I get mine from Canadas Motorcycle..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since it looks like someone deleted my post... I don't know why...... I'll ask again. What is the best tire for a guy who rides fast and goes 90% on road.. I have to get on the interstates a lot so my oem battle wings are toast down the center with 5400 miles on the rear. I want something different. Do they even make a 80/20 that is dual compound?
If I ever do go off-road it's packed gravel and dirt. Nothing wet and soupy. And if someone is going to delete my post message me and tell me why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
What is the best tire for a guy who rides fast and goes 90% on road.. I have to get on the interstates a lot so my oem battle wings are toast down the center with 5400 miles on the rear. I want something different. Do they even make a 80/20 that is dual compound?
All I can see is try to put on a car tire on the rear. Do a search for "dark side" Some have done it with good success.

Brian

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I can see is try to put on a car tire on the rear. Do a search for "dark side" Some have done it with good success.

Brian

I have thought about this. My wife isn't to keen on the idea. The thought of a square tire leaning into corners blows my mind.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For what it's worth, I think it's Avon that now makes a dual compound tire for ADV riders. Also, I just put my second Heidenau K-76 on the rear of my 09 Wee (AKA Miss Piggy). The first one I got about 11,000 miles on it. It was ALMOST slick in the center with a lot of tread left on the outer thirds of the tire. I was looking at the K-60, Heidenau that is a little bit more off-road oriented but has a solid center band on the tire but talked with the rep at RevZilla. He told me if I do mostly road, the 76 would probably perform a little better. I have heard of people getting a few thousand more miles out of the K-76 tires. I'm about average in how aggressive I ride I would imagine, and I ride almost entirely solo. I weigh about 210 #. Unfortunately, good bit of my riding is on super-slabs, reaching from my weekly, work dwelling to my weekend home. From there, I usually ride two-lanes. I guess I'm realistically about 90-95% on road and about 50-60% of that is super-slab at around 70 mph. A lot of people think how fast you go on a super-slab is irrelevant to tire wear but consider that you have to give it more throttle to over come wind resistance and in the case of hills, gravity. That would result in greater friction on the tires, hence more wear. OK, there's my 1.5 cents worth.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For what it's worth, I think it's Avon that now makes a dual compound tire for ADV riders. Also, I just put my second Heidenau K-76 on the rear of my 09 Wee (AKA Miss Piggy). The first one I got about 11,000 miles on it. It was ALMOST slick in the center with a lot of tread left on the outer thirds of the tire. I was looking at the K-60, Heidenau that is a little bit more off-road oriented but has a solid center band on the tire but talked with the rep at RevZilla. He told me if I do mostly road, the 76 would probably perform a little better. I have heard of people getting a few thousand more miles out of the K-76 tires. I'm about average in how aggressive I ride I would imagine, and I ride almost entirely solo. I weigh about 210 #. Unfortunately, good bit of my riding is on super-slabs, reaching from my weekly, work dwelling to my weekend home. From there, I usually ride two-lanes. I guess I'm realistically about 90-95% on road and about 50-60% of that is super-slab at around 70 mph. A lot of people think how fast you go on a super-slab is irrelevant to tire wear but consider that you have to give it more throttle to over come wind resistance and in the case of hills, gravity. That would result in greater friction on the tires, hence more wear. OK, there's my 1.5 cents worth.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
It won't keep up with the BW on mileage. I am running the TKC70s and do a lot of interstate. The BW's didn't last long. These are doing a lot better.

MultiGrip: Continentals own semi-dual compound technology allows different levels of hardness on the central tread and shoulder area (more mileage and improved grip).

·
Registered
387 Posts
Look at the Tourance Next 90/10 tires. I'm running the set right now on my V2 and quite pleased with grip, handling and wear 3,000 miles in.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts