StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been very happy with the stock Bridgestone tires. For me, for the money, they are hard to beat.

For my next set, I would now like to try a different set of tires. I ride mostly twisties, with slab riding to get to the good roads. I am looking for a set of tires that are better at navigating hard packed dirt roads, without giving up longevity or riding the twisties. I got spooked on two occasions earlier this year riding over large gravel rocks and then sand. I don't expect to be riding over large gravel and sand, but I would like a tire that does better on hard packed dirt without giving up much in the twisties.

Any suggestion?:confused:

·
Registered
702 Posts
The perfect tire does not exist. You will have to make compromises somewhere. I have decided to make my compromise toward better street than dirt. The Michelin Anakee 3 has been working for me. Not so good off road, but it has taken a beating from rough dirt/gravel roads.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Metzeler Tourance Next perform super on the street and decent on gravel roads. Only had them a short time so I can't speak for mileage.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The original regular Tourance tires would be as good on pavement and a little better on dirt roads.

I have a Tourance rear on my DL1000 now, but I'm going back to a 705 this time to compare. My last two tire sets were Tourances and I only got around 5.5K out of the rears and my fronts were too loose around 9 to 10K on dirt so I changed both well before wear bars. I get more performance out of the 705 actually. The front 705's last and last.

The Shinkos are better on hard packed dirt roads and the Tourances produce less noise and grip better leaned over deep. But after lowering the foot pegs its a wash on lean angle. Right now I have a Tourance rear and a 705 front. Will have a 705 rear on soon, just got a new one Saturday from Fedex. Great performance for my Strom needs.

Tourances are the old standby do it all ADV tire, but they are a "made in China" offering, the 705 is from Korea. I can't tell a difference between the Chinese and German Tourances actually and the 705 has been a consistent performer for me getting 6,000 plus from a rear. I like curves and ride briskly on rough mountain two lanes mostly so I go through rubber.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anakee III would fit the bill imo.

Reactions: middo and Big B

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I have a TKC70 rear on now and it worked great on my last run in the dirt, and pavement was perfect as well although I didn't get to try them in rain yet. They are 60/40 tire. High quality IMO.

I had Tourance before and really liked them as well, and they do hold well in rain, well tested.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm sitting on about 8000km and I'm going to be looking at a new back tire in the very near future. I'm new to bike riding so I'll be looking at a tyre for 90% pavement. The next set will be more light off road so I'll keep an eye on what you guys have to say on the subject.

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 for the Continental TKC70, had them for a month now, longest break in for a tire i ever saw, for the first 1000km(?!?) they had an unsettling feeling/not planted in the front from 90km/h up, now is all set. Im coming from a pair of Heidenau K60 and the road manners are much much better, i feel like riding a different bike in the twisties, very confidence inspiring, im not a sporty rider but got them almost all the way to the sides, now i'm worried about scraping my lowered pegs :p
Off road i cant see big differences compared the k60(for my riding style), i recently took a 100 km ride on some forest/mountain trails with gravel climbs, big boulders and some minor water crossings - again, very confidence inspiring for my limited offroad skills - i suppose a more advanced rider would feel a much bigger difference compared to the k60, but the vstrom is not a proper dirt bike so these i think are much better suited for the bike.
If they hold for at least 15.000 km i'll def buy them again

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I will do my do dilligence and make a decision. For the record, I have been getting 10,000 miles on the front stock tires, and 7000 on the rears. Ebay and Amazon usually have great deals on the Bridgestone stock tires - about 240. for the pair. The tread on the TKC70's look great. I ride about 10k plus miles per season, and do not want to change tires too often. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have seen both of the tires I have run recently recommended, the Anakee III and the TKC 70.

A3 - better road tires but not as good in the dirt as TKC 70. The A3 (I have run 3 sets) last me around 9,500 in the rear and 6,000 in the front. They wear evenly and do not wobble. The front wears quickly on my bike.

TKC 70 - the rear squared off quickly and lasted a little more than 5,000 miles. The front has developed a weird wear pattern and has wobbled under decel since new. The front is still wobbling a little and should last 6,000 miles. I will not buy another set due to wear rate, wobble and cost.

For reference the OEM Dunlop Battlewings went about 6,000 miles on both ends and wore evenly on both ends. No wobble.

All the above were run on a 550 pound super tenere. The BWs and A3s were also run on my previous 500 pound Vee with very similar results. I run tires to the wear bars or very close. I am a creature of habit and ride the same areas and speeds a lot. Comparison among tires should be pretty good. All did fine in the wet and better than good on dry roads. I have now returned to Anakee III and will live with the front wear rate until something else catches my eye.

The mitas and hiendau tires are good rubber but I am a radial fan. If I did more dirt I might opt for one of them but do not want to give up the road feel of a radial.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've run Battlax T30s, Anakee 3s and now Shinko 705s. Shinkos are noticeably better off road. I liked the Anakees on the road and in the twisties but not so much off road. I have had no sense of the Shinkos washing out anywhere on wet road or in the twisties so far and I am still pushing them a bit in the dirt to find my limit with them. Excellent traction in my estimation. Looks like it will be two rears to one front with the 705s but at the price that doesn't bother me. They do sing fairly loud in the 51-53 mph range. Again I don't mind. Reminds me of having meaty tires on my old Tacoma truck. Shinkos look bad ass also if you care.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I currently have 10K on my 2014 DL1000A original stock tires. I would say I have 2 - 3 K more miles to go on the rear tire and 4 - 5 K more for the front tire. I never go off road and have never ridden without Traction Control #1 engaged. The outer-most edge "chicken strips" still remain. :) !!

On my 2004 DL650, I changed to Michelin Pilot Road 2's when the stock tires wore out. I felt they handled much better than the stock tires with way longer tread life. Because of my great experience with the Michelin Pilot tires, I had the dealer switch out the stock tires with Michelin Pilot Road 3's, before I even took delivery of my new 2012 DL650. They were great tires, as well. When I sold the 2012 DL 650 to make room for the 2014 DL1000A, it had 12k miles on it. The tires still looked and handled like new.

It should be obvious to me which tire I would choose (Michelin Road 4's) when it's time for replacement - which is coming up fairly soon. However, I am reading lot's of great reviews on the Pirelli Angel GT tires. Great handling, great in the rain, great tire life, not as susceptible to the tar strips in the roads (one minor drawback to the Michelins), and less expensive than the Michelins. So, I am tempted to give the Pirellis a try.

I will also take this tire replacement opportunity to install some angled tire valve stems.

It seems that I heard/read somewhere that it is not wise to change the tire size from the stock 150/70R17 to even a 160/70R17. Apparently, many bad issues can result in straying away from stock size tires.

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Webbikeworld didn't like the Next on the DL1000A.
Loved the Next on the front of my 2012 DL650, didn't notice any dirfference on there're I went back to normal Tourqnce for the rear. Just put new tire s on my 2015 DL1000 this oat Thursday... A next for front and a regular Tourance for rear. Don't really feel much diffeence from the stock tire but haven't pushed it and only have about 400 on since. Can't see any reason to dislike them on the V2.

..Tom

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I have stock on the front and the TKC70 on the back. The combo is very good at 80 mph and pretty good on the gravel and dirt roads I frequent. I know a guy that past 8500 miles on his rear TKC70 so that is a huge improvement over some of the other Continental tires. The TKC70 front isn't as good on the highway I keep reading with a bit of wandering at high speeds. The 70's are pricier than some.

Keep the pressure up on the 70's to prevent faster wear the guy with 8500 miles has told me. Otherwise he said they cup and wear twice as fast.

·
Registered
491 Posts
+1 for the Continental TKC70, had them for a month now, longest break in for a tire i ever saw, for the first 1000km(?!?) they had an unsettling feeling/not planted in the front from 90km/h up, now is all set. Im coming from a pair of Heidenau K60 and the road manners are much much better, i feel like riding a different bike in the twisties, very confidence inspiring, im not a sporty rider but got them almost all the way to the sides, now i'm worried about scraping my lowered pegs :p
Off road i cant see big differences compared the k60(for my riding style), i recently took a 100 km ride on some forest/mountain trails with gravel climbs, big boulders and some minor water crossings - again, very confidence inspiring for my limited offroad skills - i suppose a more advanced rider would feel a much bigger difference compared to the k60, but the vstrom is not a proper dirt bike so these i think are much better suited for the bike.
If they hold for at least 15.000 km i'll def buy them again

WTF! What camera are you using to get shots like that? Absolutely beautiful shot. Didn't mean to go off topic here, I am tire shopping as well!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've recently put a set of Shinko 705's on and have been impressed. Front looks new and the rear is wearing well after 4000 klms.

I commute everyday and they have been great on road wet or dry.

Off road on gravel roads and fire trails they have given me a lot more confidence than the OEM Bridgestones.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts