StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Shinko 705 tires were getting very worn down, and as those of you who also use these tires know, they get incredibly howl'y at around 40-50mph when they wear down. Also, the knobs were cupping and wearing unevenly along the leading edge of the knob (when braking). While good on the dirt roads, they do wear in a way that not only makes the handling get a bit weird, but the noise is unbearable on pavement.

Time for a change - I ended up getting some very gently used Metzeler Tourance NEXT, from a guy on the Stromtrooper classifieds. I'd read some mixed reviews on these tires online, so I'm glad I got to try these tires without plunking down full-price! That said, I absolutely LOVE these tires, for they completely transformed how my vstrom handles in the corners. They feel as if you're riding an invisible berm, and once you set it at an angle, it's there - no need to micro adjust trajectory thru a corner as I found myself doing with the 705's. They do have a bit of an initial low-speed 'turn-in' effect, but once you get used to this peculiarity, it's no issue and actually feels a bit like a steering assit which I kinda like now. Smooth, quiet, and super grippy in the corners - also great in the wet, which I found out during many rainy commutes this summer.

The biggest surprise of all is how well they do on the same dirt/gravel roads I ride. The sure-footedness they exhibit on the pavement, remains once you get onto the dirt/gravel. I dare say, they perform better than the 705's, just from how they feel thru the handlebar. All in all, when these finally wear out (they wear like iron too), I'm definitely getting another pair.

fyi: https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear/gear-metzeler-tourance-next-tires

·
Administrator
13,562 Posts
I rather like them! I am not. sure how many I have used...probably 10 or 20 of the Next and 50 or the regular Tourance.

I'm happy with the tourance's in all the conditions you have mentioned including unpaved/gravel roads. I've never used the Shinko's so nice to know the Next compares well to them on gravel.

..Tom

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanxs for the comparison on the tires.Need new tires next season and was looking at the Shinko tires again.Think I'll give the Metzeler tires a try.I ride gravel and paved roads mostly very occasionally a dirt road if the pavement ends.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I rather like them! I am not. sure how many I have used...probably 10 or 20 of the Next and 50 or the regular Tourance.

I'm happy with the tourance's in all the conditions you have mentioned including unpaved/gravel roads. I've never used the Shinko's so nice to know the Next compares well to them on gravel.

..Tom
Bummer that you've never used them. I was going to ask you if you had any experience with them in the cold. I put on a new set of TKC70's last October and the front is already toast (5K miles). I thought about putting on a cheap Shinko 705 front to finish out the rear, but with the cold season headed my way I wondered how well the Shinko rubber works in the cold...

Anyone else tried the Shinko 705's in the cold?

Is there a specific rating for motorcycle tires that is similar to "all-season" used for car tires? I figured that the high performance requirement of MC tires would tend to push them towards the softer "summer only" type compounds. I don't want my front tire to turn into a hockey puck at 40 F!

·
Administrator
13,562 Posts
Bummer that you've never used them. I was going to ask you if you had any experience with them in the cold. I put on a new set of TKC70's last October and the front is already toast (5K miles). I thought about putting on a cheap Shinko 705 front to finish out the rear, but with the cold season headed my way I wondered how well the Shinko rubber works in the cold...

Is there a specific rating for motorcycle tires that is similar to "all-season" used for car tires? I figured that the high performance requirement of MC tires would tend to push them towards the softer "summer only" type compounds. I don't want my front tire to turn into a hockey puck at 40 F!
I'm impressed at how much traction the Tourances have at freezing or below (as long as the roads are dry.) I put Anlas Winter tires on my bike last winter. And while I never rode them in actual snow, they didn't seem any better at single digit f° temperatures than the Tourances were.

(I can tell you the Tourances suck when there is a layer of ice near freezing point on the road!!!! [damhik])

..Tom

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am seeing quite a bit of a price difference. I was all excited to go from Trail Wing to the 705 until I read this. I really like the 705 over the TW OEM. I guess I will find out on cupping/wear.

V-Tom must buy the Tourance's wholesale. He should become a re-seller. 65 tires altogether!?! That is like 280000 miles (1.5 tires every 6000 miles) plus flats? V-Tom would never ride on a plugged/patched tire right? kfh000

·
Administrator
13,562 Posts
I am seeing quite a bit of a price difference. I was all excited to go from Trail Wing to the 705 until I read this. I really like the 705 over the TW OEM. I guess I will find out on cupping/wear.

V-Tom must buy the Tourance's wholesale. He should become a re-seller. 65 tires altogether!?! That is like 280000 miles (1.5 tires every 6000 miles) plus flats? V-Tom would never ride on a plugged/patched tire right? kfh000
I plug flats without hesitation. I don't know how many for sure but over 10 and probably close to 15 over the years. Just did one a few weeks ago on my wife's Triumph on the second day of our Newfoundland Labrador Riding trip.

I though I might have might have exaggerated a bit on the number of tires so I decided to count:

I have put 16 tires on my DL1000. Two were Anlas Winter tires. The rest Tourance "Next". Some were done earlier than needed as the beginning of trips. At least one other had multiple puncture so was replaced early. So that's 14 Tourance's.

I put 10 on my 2102 DL650, all were Tourances, the last few were "Next"

I put 17 tires on my 2006 DL650, all were Tourances. I don't think any were "Next" (When did the Next come out?)

So yeah I exaggerated a bit. Total tires was 43, 41 of them were Tourances.

Total mileage on the three Stroms adds up to 489,524 km or 304,185 miles of Strom riding.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Throw some earplugs in for the tire noise ;)

I plug tires. Have since I started riding motorcycles and driving cars. Its rare for a motorcycle tire to come off the rear of any of my bikes without at least one plug in it.

Reactions: madstrom

·
Registered
933 Posts
I hate to hijack the thread (but here goes...)

My new-to-me 2014 DL650A with 5000 miles still has the OEM Bridgestone Trailwing tires and I need to replace them soon. Despite having a lot of tread-life remaining they are +5 years old and handle like crap. I have been poking around this and other sites looking for advice on what to buy. Based on my research, I am considering the following sport-touring tires;

• Metzler RoadTec01
  • Pirelli Angel GT
  • Bridgestone Battlax T31
I got back into riding about 5 years ago but my only tire experience has been with the Michelin Pilot Road 3 and 4 which are really grippy tires (that I loved) but are expensive and don't last (~6-7K miles and that was pushing it). My use case is strictly street riding, no off-road, rarely dirt or gravel roads (e.g. to get to a campsite or some such), no rain (California!) so mostly twisties and some slabbing. Naturally, I'd like a tire that is not expensive (~cough~ Michelin ~cough~) will run a while (~10K miles) before needing replacement. Is this too much to ask in a moto tire? I am leaning toward the Angel GT but open to suggestions and comments, especially from riders who have used any of these tires. Thank you!

·
Registered
257 Posts

i have used the 705's in cold tempatures
they preform just fine
i live in the big city (ny) and commute "almost year round"
only been through one winter on the 705 on the strom, but have had a few sets on my dr as well
good luck
for the right price i might try a set of the ones mentioned above

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was riding on some dirt roads yesterday, and came to a portion where maintainence crews dumped a bunch of fresh gravel aggregate - presenting a situation that always gave my vstrom problems, even with the shinko 705's - you know, that loose handlebar feeling of barely any control? As I hit the patch I thought 'Well, lets see how these NEXT's do here'...............I couldn't believe it. No weird handling drama - I basically rode thru without any weirdness....to think I could have been riding around on these tires for the last couple years instead of the 705's made me wince a bit! Can you tell I really dig these tires?

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've ridden the shinko 705 in 40F deg. temps and they feel just the same as they do when warmer - you shouldn't have any issues in the cold with 705's.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I quite like the Avon Trailriders. Excellent overall on the street, great in the cold / snow / o.k. on ice sleet. as good as any & better than most on light off road, good mileage. Mediocre puncture resistance, not terribly loud on pavement 'till over 9k on the front ( R got a nail @ 7k and replaced by a 705).
Might go w/ a regular Tourance in a couple of months IF I can get them for a good price (steel belt).
If not I will buy another set of Avon's.
I get 10k+ on the Avon's & 12~15 on the Tourances' F.W.I.W..
:beatnik:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was riding on some dirt roads yesterday, and came to a portion where maintainence crews dumped a bunch of fresh gravel aggregate - presenting a situation that always gave my vstrom problems, even with the shinko 705's - you know, that loose handlebar feeling of barely any control? As I hit the patch I thought 'Well, lets see how these NEXT's do here'...............I couldn't believe it. No weird handling drama - I basically rode thru without any weirdness....to think I could have been riding around on these tires for the last couple years instead of the 705's made me wince a bit! Can you tell I really dig these tires?
Joker, thanks for your input on the Tourance Next. In my (limited- 40,000 miles) experience, I have found: Mitas E-07 > BattleWing > TrailWing

Well now I've put a Conti TKC-80 on the front. I'm a bit south of you and specifically sought out some deeper gravel, in Monroe County, to compare the E-07 front vs the TKC-80. I didn't think the TKC felt any more stable than the E-07, which was just a bit of a disappointment. The TKC's do feel pretty grippy on pavement, even though they're a lot knobbier. At any rate, I expect the rear E-07 and front TKC-80 to both wear out at about the same time. So when they do, I think I'll try a full set of Tourance Next. If you and V-Tom both like them, that's a pretty good recommendation in my book!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not a very experienced rider, so I don't know if this observation applies to all tires on all bikes or not. I'm asking for input as much as telling here.

I've been running Shinko 705s on my Wee for the last 5,000 miles or so. The front looks great, but the rear looks half worn down. No cupping or other problems, though.

One thing I learned in the MSF Advanced Rider Course is that a little bit of pressure difference can make a big difference. With my 705s, f I'm up around 36 psi, the rear feels a little "slippery." But if I get it down to 32 psi, it's much better. The front doesn't seem to be as pressure sensitive. is that typical?

Is there are problem mixing tire models? Based on the recommendation here, I think I'd try a NEXT tire when I need to replace the rear. If I like it, then I would replace the front when it comes time.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I have 705s on my Strom and commuted last winter as long as there wasn't snow or ice on the roads. The coldest morning I remember was 35F and tires did fine. The limiting factor was keeping my feet warm. I'm due for another rear tire. I'm looking at putting another 705 on as the front one is still in good shape. Maybe when both need replaced, I'll spring for some Michelin PR4. The couple of people I have ridden with swear up and down by those as the best. Yes, they're expensive, but they say worth every penny.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a bit of a dilemma.........
I live in the Philippines with year-round 30 to 35c temperatures.
My Bridgestone OEM tyres are hardly worn because I've only ridden 5000 quite gentle km in my first year. BUT even though 80% of my riding is on quite twisty but reasonably slow roads, the other 20% is dry, sandy gravel, or sandy-mud during wet weather. The stock OEM tyres are absolutely USELESS off pavement here to the point that it's scary! I've already had 2 offs, and I don't want to perfect the art as a second hobby!
So, I'm looking to replace the Bridgestone OEM tyres with a more robust off-road capable alternative. However all of the 80/20 or 70/30 tyres I review just don't inspire me with any confidence, so I'm looking more at 50/50 options.
The 2 I've narrowed down my choice to are either Heidenau K60s or Mitas E-07+s I absolutely MUST have decent wear (10 to 12,000 km is a minimum) which is why I listed the K60s first. However the Mitas are suppose to be a bit cheaper for very limited reduction in longevity.
Before I take the final plunge, has anyone here used either of these on their 650 and if so, how many km did they last and what is their opinion of them?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
No more K60 for me. To slippery on wet. Have a brand new set of Mitas E-07 Dakar waiting for installation but that's not earlier than in the Spring. Friend of mine likes them a lot and got very good mileage on them too. On the road only PR4 are just great

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have a bit of a dilemma.........
I live in the Philippines with year-round 30 to 35c temperatures.
My Bridgestone OEM tyres are hardly worn because I've only ridden 5000 quite gentle km in my first year. BUT even though 80% of my riding is on quite twisty but reasonably slow roads, the other 20% is dry, sandy gravel, or sandy-mud during wet weather. The stock OEM tyres are absolutely USELESS off pavement here to the point that it's scary! I've already had 2 offs, and I don't want to perfect the art as a second hobby!
So, I'm looking to replace the Bridgestone OEM tyres with a more robust off-road capable alternative. However all of the 80/20 or 70/30 tyres I review just don't inspire me with any confidence, so I'm looking more at 50/50 options.
The 2 I've narrowed down my choice to are either Heidenau K60s or Mitas E-07+s I absolutely MUST have decent wear (10 to 12,000 km is a minimum) which is why I listed the K60s first. However the Mitas are suppose to be a bit cheaper for very limited reduction in longevity.
Before I take the final plunge, has anyone here used either of these on their 650 and if so, how many km did they last and what is their opinion of them?
Take a look at the videos from fortnine.ca. I am a big fan of this guy's reviews of riding gear and parts. This video https://fortnine.ca/en/best-adventure-dual-sport-tires/, for ADV bikes, or this video https://fortnine.ca/en/best-street-legal-off-road-motocross-tires-of-2016/ for more off-roady but street legal tires might answer your questions. Given the bargain that is the Shinko 705 compared to, for example, the Nexts, I would probably give them a try.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Take a look at the videos from fortnine.ca. I am a big fan of this guy's reviews of riding gear and parts. This video https://fortnine.ca/en/best-adventure-dual-sport-tires/, for ADV bikes, or this video https://fortnine.ca/en/best-street-legal-off-road-motocross-tires-of-2016/ for more off-roady but street legal tires might answer your questions. Given the bargain that is the Shinko 705 compared to, for example, the Nexts, I would probably give them a try.

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading.
I eventually found a supplier for the Heidenau K60s into Philippines, BUT the price ended up DOUBLE the cost of Shinko705s, so I think I’m going to give them a try.

Sent from my iPhone8

1 - 20 of 39 Posts