Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Wee to Seneca Suzuki in upstate SC. It is a 07 with 5k since March. I had noticed a surge problem while applying steady throttle at about 3k rpm and while compression braking. I enjoy the twisties in the mountains and gear down to aid in braking on down hill curves. Well they had the bike for two days. I had to call them to see if it was done. They put this guy on the phone I believe his name was Steve. So Steve says, I checked with suzuki and they said there aren't any surge problems with the Wee so there can't be a problem. Then Steve tells me he read my tires and I'm not driving aggressivly enough and that's why it is chugging. I pointed out to Steve the bike is surging not chugging. He suggested since I'm a new rider I may not have the correct opinion. Then Steve said he rode my bike and didn't notice anything wrong. Then he asked when it would surge. It was written on the repair order. At this point I asked steve if he did anything mechanical to the bike. He said No! I said I'll be right there to get the bike. I get to the shop and Steve is hiding in the repair shop with the door closed and the owner is waiting for me at the counter. I mentioned to the owner, Steve doesn't know how to address customers on the phone. He said he probably didn't mean to be insulting or rude. The owner did not charge me anything for keeping my bike two days and Steves opinion. Anyone else have an experience like this. Sorry for the long post, just venting. Be save and have fun. Mike D.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3k through town

I only run three grand when I'm going through town in third gear. Speed limit is 30 mph, otherwise cruise between 4-5k off interstates. I shift between 5-7k most of the time. The chicken strips are only 1/2 inch on rear tire. At 52 years of age I feel I'm riding just fine. 5500 miles since March no hits, no drops,a couple errors. Be save and have fun. Mike D.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I agree with Tommy...3k is too low of a cruising rpm. The Wee is much more comfortable cruising at 4k.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you

Thank you for your opinions I guess I'll ride in second gear at 4k through town. Be safe and have fun. Mike D.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Give it a shot at least and tell us if it still surges. I rarely go down as low as 3000 but when I do while I wouldn't say it surges, its not as comfortable.

·
0 Posts
I haven't heard of Wee's surging, but my 1000 does the same thing at 3k rpms. Even if i'm accelerating through that point, it sometimes cuts out for a split second, then keeps accelerating. The part that annoys me is how random it is, sometimes I get it once or twice a ride, sometimes not at all. It's not your imagination or running too low rpms, it does happen and I've read of it happening to a lot of people. You're not alone.

Not sure of the cheapest and most effective fix, but synchronizing the throttle bodies probably helps..? I've also heard a Power Commander will eliminate the surge, at the expense of the unit itself and a little fuel mileage. I have not tried to fix mine though. I just accept that it surges around 3k rpms, whenever it feels like and to deal with it. Read more on the forums here and i'm sure someone has a concrete fix for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Throttle body sync

I made a manometer to sync the throttle bodies, it seemed to work well. I would say the surge was reduced by 50%. When I first hooked up the manometer there was a 10in. difference from one side to the other. It is all evened up now. Thanks for your response. Be safe and have fun. Mike D.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I haven't heard of Wee's surging, but my 1000 does the same thing at 3k rpms. Even if i'm accelerating through that point, it sometimes cuts out for a split second, then keeps accelerating. The part that annoys me is how random it is, sometimes I get it once or twice a ride, sometimes not at all. It's not your imagination or running too low rpms, it does happen and I've read of it happening to a lot of people. You're not alone.

Not sure of the cheapest and most effective fix, but synchronizing the throttle bodies probably helps..?
Start with the TBS. It cured my 2800 rpm "hiccup." Easily done and effective. Lots of info here on how to do it. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I made a manometer to sync the throttle bodies, it seemed to work well. I would say the surge was reduced by 50%. When I first hooked up the manometer there was a 10in. difference from one side to the other.
Mine was almost 2 feet off when I first hooked it up! Now I'm within 1/4". MUCH better!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts