StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after hurting my back I desired to breakdown and have a shop change my oil. They came back showing me I needed new tires. Thought I would get more than 9800 miles on my stocks but anyway. The back tire tread I am not surprised on but the front had even wear. The left side had a "wave" pattern and I was told that's way when I lean left I feel the bike pull a little. Now is this common or is this an issue with my riding?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
Tire wear depends on inflation, road surface, riding style and temps
Tires wearing out is a by product of traveling miles.
Some get better mileage out of the same tires than others.
I wear mine out on the sides before the center tread. I hate when that happens.

·
Registered
944 Posts
FWIW, my stock DL1000 rear lasted 5,000 miles. Front lasted 8,500 miles.

I am pretty easy on tires (I'm not a wheelie, burnout, fast stop/start kinda guy). I run 36PSI front and 41PSI read.

My Tourance tires do much better.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Motorcycle tires always wear more in one side than the other -- it's not your riding style.

The cause of this pattern is the subject of much debate, most of which is downright brain-damaged.

I have no idea which hare-brained theory is correct (and it doesn't matter in the least -- when your tires are worn, replace them), but here's one page with lots of info and tests and pseudo-scientifical blather.
Motorcycle Tire Wear

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Roads are crowned to force drainage to the curb

A Your bike is therefore always loaded on the left side of the tire

B The crown also acts as banking so right turns are positively banked where left curves are not and you will get more scrubbing of the rubber.

Find a member in England and swap tires, his are worn on the right side

·
Registered
900 Posts
A Your bike is therefore always loaded on the left side of the tire
B The crown also acts as banking so right turns are positively banked where left curves are not and you will get more scrubbing of the rubber.
I was just wondering "why" my rear tire showed significantly more wear on the left. THANK YOU for explaining that. So very timely for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
9800 miles

That's about right for the Trailwings. I switched to Metzeler ME 880 tires and get about 12-13K out of the rear before it is gone. A little more expensive but the performance improvement is worth it to me. Expect your chain to go at 16K and the sprockets at 30K. Always upgrade to better-than-stock on these items.

F: 120/70-19
R: 160/70-17

1 - 7 of 7 Posts