StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,
My DL650 has 8400 miles on the original tires. A couple of questions.
1. I would like to get some tires that will give me the maximum tire mileage.
2. I've read about "street only" tires, I take it the trailwings are not just for the street? I don't plan on riding off road, maybe a few gravel roads.
3. Tourance, Trailwings, Battlewings, which give the longest life?

I've read that some have gotten only 5,000 miles out of their stock tires, I think if I rode more conservative, I could get a good 10,000 out of the stock tires.
I appreciate any/all advice on this. I'm going to be putting the new rubber on next week.

Shannon

·
Registered
336 Posts
Others will come along in a moment with their recommendations, but....

...I'm surprised your mileage is so dismal with the OEM tires.

I have about 7400 miles on my originals, and there's hardly any wear at all. I rum 40/40psi in them, as well as the tires on a VTX1300 that I have. Get excellent wear at these pressures.

Typically, a bike manufacturer will recommend a lower psi for comfort, whereas a tire manufacturer will allow for higher psi's, which greatly enhance the life of the tire.

And yes, for all of you naysayers that may chime in, I do also run with scissors. :p

Kindest Regards,

-Will

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a bit suprised also by the low mileage also. I have been running my pressures around 33/37. I also am getting the rear tire balding in the center, kind of a flat wear pattern. When I get the new tires, and probably front brake pads, I'm not going to run her so hard, not that I'm a sport rider, but I really need to get more mileage out of the tires.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tires

I run the higher air pressure and I have used 2 sets of the Bridgetones and got about 9k miles out of the rear and 10k+ out of the front, I have a set of Tourances on now and I am hoping I can get over 10k out of them.

Ton Up!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a tire out there for those of us than mostly commute, or run on slab for long distances, not a lot of twisty's?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I ran the factory OEM Trail Wings at factory tire pressure and I got 11,000 miles out of them. The only reason I changed them was because I had a long trip coming up.

For this trip, I installed new Trail Wings, but this time I got the V rated models, not the factory H rated (i think) that it came with.

When I returned, I tried the Conti Road Attack tires, and they were a little grippier on the street, and good once they heated up (i did a track day with them). The are, though, horrible on the dirt - even a dirt road felt like slick snow.

This made me realize how good the Trail Wings are in terms of an all - around tire. I did (2) trips to Deals Gap / TOTD / BRP / Cherohala etc. with Trail Wings and they performed very well. I also have done fire trails, dirt roads, etc. with the Trail Wings. They are a very good all - around tire if that's what you are planning to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just changed my tyres from the original trailwings got 10,000 out of them to Michelin Pilot Roads.

Very pleased much better than the trailwings, i only go on road

I have also heard that they last very well

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have the question, is there a tire out there than will give you 14 or 15,000 miles. Sorry about being so redunant, I 'm just trying to get the most mileage and a tire with decent road abilities.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
The original owner of my bike got 10500 out of the trailwings. I got 5000 out of the rear. The front is still ok. I went to the Battlewing on the rear. I ran pressure just like recommended.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I do have the question, is there a tire out there than will give you 14 or 15,000 miles. Sorry about being so redunant, I 'm just trying to get the most mileage and a tire with decent road abilities.
From all the tire talk I have read on here it sounds like the Tourance is the best chance to get that kind of miles. There are also some non-radial cruiser tires like ME880 for instance that some use. Everyone uses their tires up differently and to get 8400+ miles out of the Trailwings you did quite well in my opinion. Inflation being kept at a proper level for your weight and load is important for wear and for handling. Figuring out exactly what that is for your riding can be the difference between a 10,ooo mile tire and 12,ooo mile tire.

My rear TW was an OK tire for 7000 miles and the front had tread but was worn very oddly at the same miles and handled crumby. I have a feeling it was run under inflated when it was brand new. I bought the bike with a few miles on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I managed just short of 10,000 on my stock-from-the-dealership tires, then I got a nasty hole in the rear tire which forced a replacement. I'm still running the front tire, but I'm probably going to need to replace it this summer (maybe another 1-2k miles).

I'm 6', 250lbs, and the only gravel my Wee sees is the 20' between my garage and the street. Other than that, it's all city streets or freeway. I tend to keep my tires inflated to the top end, and I'm not a super-aggressive rider. My cruising speed on the freeway is usually about 80-85.

Due to having to emergency-replace a flat, I went with another trailwing. It seems to have done pretty well by me (~10k with some room left). I have some buddies that run all slab and have sidecar hacks for their DL650's, and they are very fond of the Dunlop D607. The ME880 has a good reputation among the scruffy crowd I talk to up here, too.

The thing I noticed while looking up various tires and reviews is that the harder tires will generally last longer, but they also give a rougher ride and can have worse performance in the rain (a major consideration in Seattle, not so sure about your neck of the woods).

·
Registered
482 Posts
I currently have 13.5K on some stock trailwings, but I am almost out of tread in the rear. From what I have read, the Battlewings represent a great value, and you can expect to get the same amount of mileage out of them as you did with the trailwings, which are a fairly durable tire.

The other thing that I have realized is that what kind of mileage you get out of a tire has as much to do with HOW you ride (hair on fire) and WHERE you ride (hot, abrasive road surfaces) as it does with WHAT you ride on. You will see the gamut on this thread - from 5k to 15k.

Also, for most people doing normal riding, you are going to get a squared-off tire at some point. If you think this is an indication that the tire is "worn out", then that is your choice to replace it then, but you can get a lot of mileage out of a tire with a flat middle....

Also, the only time I run 41psi in the rear is when I am 2-up with my wife. When I check my rear pressure, if it is 36psi or more, I don't put air in. And then only to 39. I run fairly high preload (I weigh 260) so the rear felt skittish with 41 in it. Conversly, I have always run 40 in the front because I think the steering feels better on the freeway. It's counterintuitive, and opposite of the Manufacturer recomended levels, but I think how I run my pressures has contributed to the longevity of the rubber on my bike.

I'm sure I'm going to get a bunch of flak for my last two paragraphs, but that's OK. None of you have to ride my bike...and I get 14k out of my tires.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all,
I'll look into the matter a bit more. As of right now, Tourance,Trailwing and Battlewings are what I'm exploring. Probably because these are the three that I've heard about the most. Would running 36/40 be a good pressure on the new tires for extended life, I'm 230lbs?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Also, for most people doing normal riding, you are going to get a squared-off tire at some point. If you think this is an indication that the tire is "worn out", then that is your choice to replace it then, but you can get a lot of mileage out of a tire with a flat middle....

I'm sure I'm going to get a bunch of flak for my last two paragraphs, but that's OK. None of you have to ride my bike...and I get 14k out of my tires.
Oh I dunno about flak but you just spent alot of time telling us how you baby your bike to get a lot of mileage out of your tires. And how you prefer to ride on a rear tire that is flat in the center rather than replace it. I have no problem with that, it's your bike and you should have fun with it, and this is apparently your idea of bike fun or you are the re-incarnation of Jack Benny.

However I would prefer to keep fresh tires on my bike and take some corners. For me owning a bike is about me getting out on the road and having what I consider to be fun, and that does not include riding on a square tire. I'm no daredevil but I like a good corner now and again.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Good day all,
My DL650 has 8400 miles on the original tires. A couple of questions.
1. I would like to get some tires that will give me the maximum tire mileage.
2. I've read about "street only" tires, I take it the trailwings are not just for the street? I don't plan on riding off road, maybe a few gravel roads.
3. Tourance, Trailwings, Battlewings, which give the longest life?

I've read that some have gotten only 5,000 miles out of their stock tires, I think if I rode more conservative, I could get a good 10,000 out of the stock tires.
I appreciate any/all advice on this. I'm going to be putting the new rubber on next week.

Shannon
I think the Tourance will give you the best mileage. I've had Trailwings, Anakees, Detours, and now a Tourance rear. The Tourance is outlasting the others by far.

There are two different Tourance tires available. The Tourance EXP is a softer compound and will not last as long. Here's a link. http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SWMT&Category_Code=Tourance

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think the Tourance will give you the best mileage. I've had Trailwings, Anakees, Detours, and now a Tourance rear. The Tourance is outlasting the others by far.

There are two different Tourance tires available. The Tourance EXP is a softer compound and will not last as long. Here's a link. http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SWMT&Category_Code=Tourance
IMO steer clear of the tourance EXP, I hate the front one on mine, I think the're a dual compound. The sides wore out real quick leaving a lump in the centre making the transition when leaning into a corner horrible and steering akin to a shopping trolley.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have close to 7k miles on my stock rear TW. I ride it like I stole it half the time and cruise the other half. What I want to know is what would be the best tires for more aggressive street riding? I have done a little off-road riding, but I would like to have more grip in the twisties for my next set of tires.

·
Registered
482 Posts
"Prefer" ? Did I say that?

Oh I dunno about flak but you just spent alot of time telling us how you baby your bike to get a lot of mileage out of your tires. And how you prefer to ride on a rear tire that is flat in the center rather than replace it. I have no problem with that, it's your bike and you should have fun with it, and this is apparently your idea of bike fun or you are the re-incarnation of Jack Benny.

However I would prefer to keep fresh tires on my bike and take some corners. For me owning a bike is about me getting out on the road and having what I consider to be fun, and that does not include riding on a square tire. I'm no daredevil but I like a good corner now and again.
Yo, Nicky fricken Hayden....I don't prefer it. I just don't give a shit if I can get a bunch of miles out of it safely. It's a street bike- there are no gravel traps on the corners I ride. I'm going to take that same tire and slam the shit out of it on mudpuddles and chunk the crap out of them spinning gravel on the weekends.

And the Jack Benny referrence...? :bom_speechless: Do you even know who that is? That's so 1950 - I'm way funnier than that.

·
Registered
639 Posts
to the original ?

This thread really went off the rails at the first response, go look for Metzler Marathon 880s' they wear like iron and are decent on the dry and decent on the wet. This is a commuter tire should go 14k given what you got out of the tw. run the 880 at about 36-38frt./ and 42-46 rear for best life.

another option would be the spitfire s-11 This is a BIAS tire but it is just fine on the wee and a full set for $120 aint bad given a 8,000 mile set of tires, performance is just fine for commuting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll look into the 880's today at work. I went out and check my tire gauges against each other,wow, 3lb difference. I'm going to keep a better check on my pressures too. From what responses I've been getting, 8,000 miles out of the TW isn't too bad. I guess I just thought I should be getting more life out of the tire.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts