StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all....Just a quick question. I want to add a tire repair kit and under seat pump to my kit this year. I've been so lucky over my riding days and have never had a flat on the road (I probably just jinxed myself). That being said, it's time to add a repair kit and pump to my kit since I'm planning to do some long hauls this summer.

Just recently I read a thread containing some good info on tire repairs and kits that you can buy. I tried to search for the thread but my searching just isn't what it should be. Also in the thread it provided info on a nice little under-seat air pump which I thought was just way cool.....

Does anyone out there have any recommendations and locations where I might purchase the items I mentioned. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank all

PEIKIM

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought my pump at Harbour Freight (took the plastic off) and the worms and tools at WalMart:) I'm a genuine big spender.

A word about the tools. Spend the extra $2.00 and get the T handles instead of the screwdriver handles. They take up more room, cost more, and you will thank me the first time you have to do the job on the road. Leverage is a good thing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm using an Airman tire repair kit, I have the one with the tire sealant. I got it as a present, I had to use it the other day for my friend who gave it to me, now there's karma for him. It worked quite well, I also have the $10 set of tire plugs. I plugged the hole before using the sealant, to avoid any extra mess or other issues, the plug kit worked quite well also. Airman had a smaller compressor with no sealant on sale at crappy tire last week for $20, so for ~$30 you have a kit. I keep it in the bike at all times, when my friend had the flat we were just on a little put-put not far from home, the kit paid for itself just in convenience.
Edit: the $10 is the string kit, but no T handle.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used a rope style plug kit and a 12 volt electic pump from Walmart. Total investmest about 15 bucks. Put alligator clips on the pump and it stoes perfectly under the seat in the tailpiece. Used it 200 miles from Whitehorse on the Alaskan hwy when I had a puncture. Worked great and held till I got to Whitehorse and replaced the tire, it was worn out from the trip.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info folks. I knew I could count on this site to provide me with the info I needed. Thanks again to those who took the time to respond..

PEIKIM

·
Registered
80 Posts
Slime pump found at most auto stores. Has multible ways to connect to power.
Stop and Go tire plug kit found on line. Works great. I have plugged tires that
went 20,000 miles with no problems.
Both items fit under the seat with my chain oiler bottle.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Since your in Canada, I'll assume you'll have a Canadian Tire nearby. (Maybe a Princess Auto).

Canadian tire has 12v mini compressors on sale every couple/three weeks for 9.99. They'll also have the required plug kit that will have 2 tools, several worms, and some rubber cement. I think it costs 6-8 bucks.

Ken

·
Registered
578 Posts
Love my Slime brand pump for pressure adjustments on the go. I have a rope type patch kit, but have not had to use it (knock on wood).

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Slime pump, Nealey string-type tire repairs.

Stop-n-Go plugs are not reliable, in my experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a tire repair kit yesterday from Dennis Kirk. Cost 30 bucks, included all the tools, plugs and string style plugs, and a system that plugs into your spark plugs and uses the engine to inflate the tire. I've heard they work good, I hope I don't ever have to use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts