StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what pressure you guys on running your shinkos.With my wife and I on the bike we are very close to the bikes...um..er..max capacity. I'm experimenting a little bit with pressure to find the best ride but I imagine I need to stick near the max pressure limit to support the weight of us and our cases and such.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
40F/42R

Upgrade your suspension pronto, if that's not already been done. The stock suspension, the rear especially, is suitable only for the anorexic Japanese ballerinas Suzuki apparently uses for test riders.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40F/42R

Upgrade your suspension pronto, if that's not already been done. The stock suspension, the rear especially, is suitable only for the anorexic Japanese ballerinas Suzuki apparently uses for test riders.
I'd like to but there is no $$$$ for it. I'll have to stick to optimum tire pressure for now.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm still experimenting with my Shinko 705's. Haven't taken my #1 pillion out with these tires. Solo, I'm running 30F/34R at the moment. They were a bit more slippery than my Anakee II's on pavement at the 36F/40R that I ran them at.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I am solo unless I have my daughter along for a ride, but in either case I am running 40/40, on my second set now....

·
Registered
774 Posts
Interesting, you guys are running them at higher pressures. Have you ever found them to slide out a bit in hard cornering with throttle roll on?

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I've been running F 36-37/R 38-39. Never a sign of any slipping. Now when I had the Battlewings on there was slipping in the corners and often while braking.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Interesting, you guys are running them at higher pressures. Have you ever found them to slide out a bit in hard cornering with throttle roll on?
Nope, not at all.

The 705 radials do steer very quickly compared to much flatter profile tires like the Bridgestone Battle Wing. One is not necessarily better or worse than the other, they're just different tires.

Anyway, this quick lean is pretty spooky at first -- it really feels like they're slipping until you get used to it.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Sean, I don't experience any slipping either. In fact, they feel very well planted at all times. Well, maybe not if I'd gone across the frosty areas Don and I saw a little over a week ago. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been running 34to 36 in the front and 36 and up on the rear, depending on load, in about 7000 km I've had no problems with grip, wet or dry , the front did turn in very quick for the first week but either it wore in or I got used to it , or a bit of both . I did get tread separation on the rear, but only on the right side of the tire, it started to feel a bit squirrily when leaned over , it never actually failed completely , still waiting on warranty claim thru Canadian dealer and supplier,,,so far it's been three months.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The quick turn in did take getting used to, but don't notice it as much now. Overall, I am happy with the 705s. I have ~1,000 miles on them now. They perform quite admirably on dirt roads.

Perhaps the sliding was because they weren't scrubbed in yet. Around the 200-250 mile mark, I got in to familiar corners and had both tires slide out slightly. The rear consistently to the point that it was a bit entertaining. Then the front joined in the fun. That certainly got my attention and was less entertaining.:yikes: I've taken it easier on the corners since then.

That got me testing different pressures. I'll pump them up again and take them down my fav stretch of Hwy 9 near Big Lake. That is a good tire testing area.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,512 Posts
I have a bit of real-world feedback on the Shinko 705s, and some thoughts on tire pressure. I've had two Shinko 705s in the front, and two in the rear, on my K7 DL1000.

I check tire pressure at least once a week. I've been following Suzuki's recommended number of 36 psi front, 36-41 psi rear depending on load. With luggage or a passenger, I inflate the rear all the way up to the recommended maximum of 41 psi. However, I'm rethinking that front pressure, for reasons explained below.

My last set of 705s were brand new, both front and rear, this January. The rear was finished in late June at just under 6000 miles. I replaced it with a Heidenau K60 Scout, because I wanted something that would last longer while also having better dirt performance.

My front 705 now has over 10000 miles on it. Last weekend, I got annoying handlebar vibrations on the interstate, and it seemed I had developed pretty severe cupping on that tire.

Not wanting to rely just on my own observations and Internet "research," I had a motorcycle shop look at it today. The conclusions were:

1) needs more than 36 psi to avoid cupping, probably 40 psi

2) it can't be rebalanced, not really, should get new tire.

I am replacing the Shinko 705 in the front with another Heidenau K60 Scout. Not because I was displeased with the Shinko's performance, more because I wanted a more aggressive, dirt-oriented tire on the front as well as the rear.

Also, the Heidenau has performed phenomenally in the rear so far. It has 4000 miles on it, but lots more tread left than the rear Shinko did at that point.

I don't know what the most current pressure recommendation is for the Shinko 705 on the DL1000, but I'd probably run a new front 705 at 40 psi to keep it from cupping. Could have got many more miles out of my front 705, if not for that.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I shaved my 705 front when it cupped taking off the high points and used it for another summer. But you really need to keep the pressure up to keep it from cupping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is an older thread, but I've had about 2500 miles on my 705s (04 dl1000) now and the rear has gotten worn down a lot down the center for what I was expecting when people tell me they get 6-7k miles out of these. I had been running about 38psi on the rear, I dropped it down to little above 30 over the weekend and rode with no noticeable difference in handling, I'm hoping that'll get me out of the center strip quite so much as it has been. Front's wearing great.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I tried a 705 on the rear. I'm taking it off a bit early at 5 K. miles. It's gotten worn in the center enough that it's like trying to herd a buffalo through the S's. Also, I notice it walks out just a bit when cornering briskly (not sliding). I account this to the large tread void on the sides, compared to a more street tread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts