StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
If I were running IRL, NHRA or NASCAR where 1/10th of a pound could effect handling/traction I'd get the best calibrated digital gauge money could buy. The DL is a much different animal and any $0.99 pencil gauge available at the counter of any auto parts store is more than accurate enough.

Honestly I doubt if the majority of riders couldn't tell the difference of 5 or 8 pound pressure swing let alone a fraction of a pound.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The most accurate/least expensive tire gauges I have found are the little round Slime gauges found at many auto parts stores. I check them against my certified and calibrated Kowa Sekei digital gauge that Mazda sent to all dealers for diagnosing tire pressure monitor systems. It is a mandatory tool, and the Slime gauges all measure exactly the same and are in complete agreement with the Kowa Sekei gauge.
Funny how I ended up with 3 of them...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that for a pressure gauge to be the most accurate, regardless of brand, that the target pressure needs to be in the middle of the scale on the pressure gauge. Based on this, a gauge with a scale of 0-80 would be more accurate for a V2 (where front is 36psi/rear 42psi) than say a gauge with 0-50 PSI because it is near max range or 0-100 PSI because it is the low side of the range. I haven't tested this, but it makes sense to me. That said, I use a 0-60psi gauge and I haven't had any issues at all.

You can spend as much or as little as you want on a gauge depending on quality, precision, options, country of origin etc. The gauge I use is made by Joe's Racing. Made in USA, analog dial type, 0-60 PSI with bleed valve, swivel, 45 deg angle, and about a 12" hose. It wasn't cheap, and I could probably get along just fine with something from HF, but I don't buy my tools more than once - unless I lose one of them. That's just me though.

There are several different options out there - Digital, Analog Dial, and Stick. As far as function goes, I don't know if one is better than the other; maybe one of the Troopers with more experience than me can chime in. I do have my own perception that the analog dial type might be better, but nothing to back up that claim.

Something else to consider is an offset valve stem. Amazon has an 87 deg black billet aluminum valve stem, made in Italy if I recall, that works well. I put them on my last bike at the same time I replaced the tires, and never had an issue to checking or filling the tires.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If I were running IRL, NHRA or NASCAR where 1/10th of a pound could effect handling/traction I'd get the best calibrated digital gauge money could buy. The DL is a much different animal and any $0.99 pencil gauge available at the counter of any auto parts store is more than accurate enough.
This.
Like oil and chain lube, we overthink this subject. It is true, however, that a pencil gauge will wear out over time. Moving parts.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
This.
Like oil and chain lube, we overthink this subject. It is true, however, that a pencil gauge will wear out over time. Moving parts.

Like everyone else who has 30 pencil gauges laying around all corners of the garage, tool kits and glove boxes. I loose them almost as fast as I buy them so there is not threat of ever wearing one out.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
While my TPMS bought 5 years ago keeps me informed every minute if I want.

and it agrees very well with my mechanics expensive gauge.

You learn very quickly how conditions affect your tire pressures and you can both "feel" on the bike and see on the gauge how the bike does at speed or on hot or cold days.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had mixed results with the Slime and other cheap pencil gauges: at one time I had 5 of them and only 2 of them agreed on a reading. The other 3 were 2# low, 2# high and 3# high. Not too inspiring of trust.

Now I use the pencil gauge made by Milton (S 921): obviously higher quality of materials then the Slime. I bought 2 of them and they always agree. I guess they could both be wrong....:confused:

Anyway, they're reasonably priced and I'm happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SQYTG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Available lots of places, WalMart etc.

............shu

·
Registered
54 Posts
Consumer Reports used to report accuracy of various tire pressure gauges. US-made pencil gauges were once the least prone to problems, according to those reports. But I've had pencil gauges that have developed large errors. So I took a different approach. First I got an inflator that was probably made in the same factory as this HF device:

https://www.harborfreight.com/pistol-grip-tire-inflator-with-gauge-68270.html

The gauge goes to 220 psi, which would be OK for truck tires because full pressure is in the center of the gauge's range. But for a motorcycle or car, the scale should be roughly 0 - 60 psi.

So I looked for a high quality Bourden tube gauge. After an hour or two of searching I found exactly what I was looking for:

Ashcroft (made in USA) +/- 1% (class 1 accuracy), 0 - 60 psi gauge , 1 1/2" nominal diameter, not liquid filled, 1/8" IPT (I believe). This kind of gauge is good for many years of industrial use, as long as it isn't beat up and only air gets into it.

I didn't save the name of the vendor. Delivered price was about $50.

The image below is for a similar gauge from a different manufacturer.

McDaniel Controls All Stainless Steel, 2? Positioner Gauge

I also needed a tap to re-tap the threads of the inflator.

I compare my other gauges to this one. It will probably last longer than me.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had good luck with these bourdon tube gauges from AccuGage: https://www.amazon.com/Accu-Gage-Professional-Pressure-Protective-Straight/dp/B00HFX38U4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532918825&sr=8-3&keywords=accugage&dpID=41p8d%252B2pE3L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

I own three (one for each vehicle and one for the garage) and I've never seen a difference between the three. They could just all be off by the same amount, but that's unlikely. From the manufacturer's website: "The mechanical accuracy rating is ± 2% from 30% to 60% of scale and ± 3% below 30% and above 60%."

What really made me stick with them was the warranty service. These are the kind of gages that will hold the pressure until you push a button to release it. My oldest one (~12 years old) stopped holding pressure. I shipped it off with a $3 check for return shipping and it was fixed and mailed back to me with no questions asked.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Any gauge that doesnt feel cheap like a floppy metal indicator that pops out and has clear legible numbers, signifying at least some bit of quality. I agree that the mini slime gauges you find everywhere are accurate, and i love my accutire. My slime gauge stays in the bike, fits nicely in the case

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I thought that the Slime gauges, and others like it were crap, so I avoided them, until I got my certified Kowa Sekei gauges which are Mazda dealer mandatory tools to perform TPMS testing.
Now I had a standard I could count on.
So, before our bike club meeting I requested that all members bring in the gauges for testing. I bring in a test wheel and an air tank with inflator, set the tire to 35 psi, and check what was brought in.
The 1st time, one member had a $55 Michelin tire gauge. It was 11 lbs off!
2 old German Draegers, one of which was mine, were right on the beam. Craftsman electronic, on the beam. Slimes were correct also. The cheap plastic pencil types were all over the map. The Accugage was correct, as were my Milton and Amflo gauges I used at work and at home. 6 of my old pencil gauges saw the bottom of the trash can that night, as did many other member's gauges.
Price is no guarantee of accuracy, as many found out that night.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I like this one from Cycle Gear. I don't have a calibrated gauge to compare to, but it agrees with several digital gauges I have that have always been very consistent. It's easy to get into smaller motorcycle wheels, will hold the reading and has a bleeder on it. If I ever get to St. Louis I'm bringing all my gauges to MAZ4ME to check against his. :wink2:

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-tire-air-pressure-gauge-with-hose

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Take a number and stand in line like all my other riding friends. LOL
Actually, some of the guys continue to use their old gauges, but use my gauge to get a "correction factor".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts