StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had to do it? I was always told that it was a bad idea. I recently plugged my rear due to an invasion by a small nail. The tire was pretty new and I just couldn't justify tossing it. SO far it's working out.
Thoughts? Experiences?
B.K.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Been plugging and riding for years and thousands of miles - never a problem. Started when I saw a dealer changing tires at a BMW ralley about 10 years ago. He was replacing a riders tire that looked brand new but had a nail. A guy watching asked if he could buy the tire and the dealer said no. The guy said "liability right?" the dealer replied "no it's going to go on my bike". He then smiled and said no one in his shop ever bought a new tire.

Different strokes......

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've pugged mine a few times now, but more often than not, it is getting close to time to replace the tire anyway, so I usually put on a new one right away. BTW, I carry a kit from Progressive Suspension that has the plugs, tools, and a giant CO2 cylinder, very handy!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Howboucha said:
I recently plugged my rear due to an invasion by a small nail.
B.K.
First off, be careful what you put in print or people will take your words out of context. :twisted:

Secondly, I used to put plugs in my auto tires. They lasted for a time, but sooner or later most of them came out of the tire as it wore. I view tire plugs as an intermediate solution to a long-term problem.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to put plugs in my auto tires. They lasted for a time, but sooner or later most of them came out of the tire as it wore.
I have NEVER, EVER, seen a mushroom head plug come out of a tire after it was installed correctly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Naw, you aren't likely to see on come out. I put 300 miles on one, but I wouldn't feel right about going a whole lot farther.

Why Yukon42 if you're in Vegas? I'm in Alaska, near the Yukon River.....

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moved to Vegas 3 years ago from a 35 year stint in Alaska.....Anchorage to be exact. Wouldn't trade the Alaska summers for any summer anywhere else in the world. However, the winters are a different matter! :lol:

While I was working at the "Motorcycle Shop" in Anchorage back in 2000, a friend of mine & another rider did a ride up to Dawson City: both on BMW GS's (a lot of gravel don'tchaknow). One of them put a rather large size rock through their tire (about 1 inch long by 1/2 inch). They plugged it with about 5 or 6 mushroom head plugs and it held all the way back to Anchorage from just outside Dawson City. We cut the plugged section out of the tire so you could see the inside. It was unbelievable the way it was sealed up! We mounted it on the parts counter and sold an untold number of plug kits after that!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used Ride-On after picking up a screw and rode the rear tire for 6,000+ miles. The stuff does not solidify and worked great. Since it stays liquid it does not throw the tire out of balance. It's not good for very large holes but anything with a screw or nail is not a problem. I ride all year and the stuff does not freeze.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have never plugged a bike (YET), But I have plugged several cars. Never a problem.

On a bike
I wouldnt hesitate to do it as log as the puncture was in the vicinity of the center line of the tire. If it was out toward the edge I would feel nervous. BUT If i had to do it to get home.. I would .. as long as it holds air.

I think "when" it happens to me.. If the tire is past 60% of it's life .. then I may spring for a tire earlier...

However, Like I said I would do whatever it takes to get my bike home should the offending puncture leave me out in the boonies.....

Chris

·
Registered
89 Posts
I picked up a very sharp rock in my back tire just outside of Tok Alaska the other day and had to install a crappy strip type of plug (thievs had made off with my tank bag and my progressive tire kit was inside). I proceded all the way to Portland OR and the tire held pressure the whole way. I have just ordered a new set of skins for the bike because they were getting a bit low on tread around Tok, bald by Whitehorse, dnagerous by Dawsin Creek, and I was stupid for riding another 1000 miles after that. in the rain.

Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Glad to hear you got there Mike!
I picked up a piece of steel the day after we met, and haven't ridden since then. The tire plug wouldn't stop the leak, and ordering tires has turned into a nightmare. I'm supposed to have new Tourances today though.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I discovered (the hard way) that Stop-N-Go mushroom-type plugs don't work well with the Metzeler Tourance due to the design of the steel belts which chew up the plug. I managed to limp to the tire dealer and they removed the tire and repaired it from behind. Cost about $50 for the hour-plus labor to remove the rear tire, etc.

Apparently, other steel belted tires are quite a bit easier on mushroom plugs than the Tourances. Most long-time Tourance riders recommend using the sticky string repair instead of mushroom plugs based on the same or similar experience.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mushroom vs sticky string

I recently fixed a c/l rear nail hole with sticky string and backed it up with Tire Slime. Seems to holding up well.

I ride 60 mi. round trip 1 or 2 times a week in Phoenix. So far, so good!

Who makes the mushroom plug kit?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use a plug or sticky strings (Metzeler Tourances won't reliably plug due to the way their steel belts are woven, chewing the plug up in just a few miles) to fix flats on the road. Then I have my cycle tire shop repair the tire from the inside as soon as possible. At about $50, it's not the cheapest fix, but professional repair makes it functionally as good and safe as new.

·
Registered
75 Posts
plug a tire?

On the morning of the second day of my trip to California last June, I discovered a protrusion sticking out of my brand-new Michelin Anakee rear tire. Hoping it was just the head of a thumb tack or something, I started pulling on it, but shoved it back in after about a quarter inch. The motel recommended a tire shop a mile up the road in Eureka Springs, AR. He fixed it for 5 bucks and it worked pretty well for the next 2500 miles but finally started to leak air, so I replaced the tire in Reno. btw, the object was a small round file(!).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Tire repairs? Sure you can plug a tire. Sticky strings or Stop and Go rubber mushrooms work. The mushrooms will fail if broken steel cords are chewing on them. Then you'll have to put another in and ride till it fails again.

Personally I consider all motorcycle tire or tube reapairs as temporary. I value my health too much to risk it. I'll plug a tire on a trip but as soon as I get home, I am ordering a new tire, right away.

If you were lucky enough to just have a nasty slide as a result of a repair failure, would it be worth dodging the $100 for a new tire? For me, I have to say "no." It's so easy to change tires, it's something you should roll up your sleeves and do when it's time to do it.

My two cents anyhow. Thanks for bringing it up Stromtro!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I bought a new 1987 Suzuki Quadrunner and took it to Maine and proceeded to put a big hole in the right rear tire. I used Tech Tire Repair plugs and am still riding on that tire today! The hole took two plugs.

The Tech Tire Repair rep drove around in a van with about 30 plugs in each of the sidewalls of his tires!

I wouldn't use them on by bike though.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tire plugs

I've had great luck with sticky strings. Just last week I ran into a very young USAF airman from MacDill AFB at a 7-11 in Tampa. He had a rear puncture flat on his CBR 600 sportbike and was worried about getting back to the base on time for his duty shift. Being the "always prepared", rider that I am :), I got out my trusty tire plug kit (never leave home without it), and effected a fast tire repair. Evidently he had never seen a tire get plugged before and he was amazed.

His rear tire was nearly bald. I told him he should keep it under 50 mph and get a new tire ASAP.

I thanked him for his service to our country, he jumped on his bike and took off.

I'll run a plugged tire down to a conservative 20-25% remaining tread, then replace the tire.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Tourance Disappoints - Try Sealant ?

After 10,338 miles of wear, I have recently sticky plugged 2 small leaks in my Metzler Tourance(original)rear tire. I found the sticky plugs really difficult to get to slide into the hole. I thought I routed the hole out first pretty darn well, but I really had to goop the liquid glue on the sticky plug and keep the air pressure up to muscle it in.

One of the plugs leaked, the other did not. Now a third tiny hole has appeared just a hundred or so miles later. The tread depth in the center is at 2.8mm, with more on the chicken-stripped sides.

Now for the weird part. The holes that are developing at this point in the tires mileage are very tiny, and appear to be developing from the inside ! You can fish around in the holes for some debris to remove but never find anything to pull out. The one thing you can feel inside there appears to be the woven steel from the tire belt, which of course you cannot pull out or even get to the surface. I’m not sure what to make of this. Is this tire defective ?

I understand products like Slime tire Sealant, Fix-A-Flat and perhaps Gunk Puncture Sealant to really make a mess inside the tire that will make for a nasty clean-up later. Greywolf claims Ride-On will not though. I have Dyna Beads inside this tire.

Q: Can anyone vouch for the use of any tire sealants I might try, but will not yet later regret using, to get a little more life out of this tire. I don’t want to make a mess of it, clog the valve stem, conflict with the Dyna Beads to cause an imbalance, etc..

P.S.

With 10,338 miles of wear , I guess I should be happy with that kind of life from a motorcycle tire. However, it is a $144 tire, and I don’t think I would get any credit for the tread left on it from the manufacturer or the retailer.

Incidentally, this is about the same amount of mileage I got out of my OEM rear trailwing, but it’s life ended differently. Believe it or not, I hit some small rock or debris in the road and it knocked a hole about the size of a pencil head it and deflated in about 15min.

I can spend the same amount of money on two motorcycle tires that will last only 10,000mi as I will on 4 automobile tires that are warrantied for 85,000mi. That is outrageous !!

A Shinko 705 is next to try. After that, I will try the ‘dark side’. No warnings are necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Plugs work for me.

I needed a plug in Newfoundland, and rode that front tire all the way to Toronto with no frets and no troubles. Another front tire needed a plug and remained as reliable as ever for the rest of its duty. Right now I have a plug in my rear tire, and it does not lose air faster than the virgin front tire.

Your experience may be different, but I trust plugs and carry my plug kit always.

Keith

1 - 20 of 22 Posts