StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just plugged my rear tire with one of those string type plugs,my question is about 3/4 to 1 inch of the string plugs is what remains in the puncture is that amount sufficient.I did measure my tire pressure and it remained the same so no leaks,also what is everyone's experience with plugging tires,are they safe to ride on,the string type are very sticky and seem to fill the void in the tire well.

M

·
0 Posts
You will get a ton of different opinions on this. For me I will plug a small hole just long enough for a new tire to show up. I think they are fine and personally have only had one pull out and that's all it did was start leaking again, no blowout.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree with Willy, once the tire been punctured, you should replace it as soon as you can. Most of the guys I ride with feel the same way but there are others who think is fine. As far as I'm concerened, I would rather spend the $200 for a new tire and be safe.

Wingman

·
Registered
53 Posts
... and I disagree. For the last 5 years I've averaged riding a little over 40,000 miles a year; that's a lot of tires. That's also a lot of plugs! I will ride a tire that I've plugged until the tire NEEDS replacment and in over 30 years of riding have never had a problem. I even used to buy punctured tires from riders after I talked to a BMW dealer who said no one in his shop had bought a new tire in over 10 years; they just rode on customer tires that they repaired.

Last years 13,000 mile Alaska trip was started on a plugged rear.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If your plug ever leaked or came out, just replug it and you're on your way. I've personally never had this happen with a plugged tire but having a plug come out on your current tire is no different than getting a flat on a brand new tire. My dealer wouldn't repair, because of liability, a hole that I had that was off to the side, I plugged it myself and after 8,000 miles of two-up riding it's worked just fine. I mean, if the plug starts to leak it's not like having a blowout or something, especially on the rear tire.

Dan

J

·
0 Posts
I plugged a day old tire on my CBR when it picke up a nail in the center tread. I plugged it myself and put a good 7k miles on it. Never had a problem. If it was a bigger hole from road debris, etc I prolly would have scrapped it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses but what i was looking for is 3/4 to 1 inch enough string plug to hold,what's conserning me is that i did'nt push enough into the tire,sorry to sound paraniod but i am.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would think that an inch would work for a bike tire, as long as the hole wasn't too big. Did you put rubber cement on the plug before you put it in?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TomG said:
I would think that an inch would work for a bike tire, as long as the hole wasn't too big. Did you put rubber cement on the plug before you put it in?
Yes rubber cement was used and the hole was caused by a very thin finishing type nail,again no leakes after about 4 days.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had a hole in my rear tire at about 2,000 miles. It was s small screw. It was smack in the middle. I got RideOn and put it in. I changed the tire after putting about 7,000 more miles. This was on my GS500. Rode all winter and stuff did not freeze. Never gave it a second thought. Nothing to fail. I was paranoid at first and kept the hole side down when I parked it. Could see a tiny wet spot once in a while but never lost any pressure that I could measure.
I carry that and a minicompressor. Some people put it in ahead of time. I don't know if that is such a good idea. You will never know if you picked up something and it could further mangle your tire by the time you findout.

·
Registered
53 Posts
jccc said:
Thanks for all the responses but what i was looking for is 3/4 to 1 inch enough string plug to hold,what's conserning me is that i did'nt push enough into the tire,sorry to sound paraniod but i am.
Actually it isn't the length that keeps it in it is the twist. A string plug goes in folded in half, liberally coated in glue to lubricate and then vulcanize. Once in you give it a half twist before pulling the insert tool out (kind of puts a knot inside the tire).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts