StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a few searches to try to find what folks generally carry in terms of tire repair kits - seems there's a mix of sting type patches and plugs . Interested in members thoughts? - any kits that perhaps carry both. Also, any sources for such kits in Canada?

Thanks and safe riding

Bob

·
Registered
133 Posts
Plugs

I've had good luck with the "Stop and Go" tire plugger. I have the gun that forces the plug into the tire. Two issues to consider. 1) The hole in the tire needs to be rounded out to the correct size for either the plug or string. 2) I had a nail go through the bottom of the tire and cut the interior cords in the side wall. This was not visible from the outside. So, I view a plug as a temporary fix, until a new tire can be found.

This said, I have a friend that ran a plugged tire for 15K miles w/o problems.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I carry the sticky string that doesn't require cement. Any time I've looked at a tire repair kit containing cement in any of my vehicles, the cement was, at best, hardened and, at worst, migrated before hardening. Hopefully, the Ride-On compound in my tires will repel puncturing items like wearing rain gear on a hot day keeps the rider in the one place in the area where it doesn't rain. That's the way it's been for me for many years.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good input - thanks. I may dop by our local Cda Tire and maybe pick up a kit - am assuming at this point that a kit listed as for radial tires )car) will work for radials (bike) as well.

Thanks and safe riding,
Bob

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had to fix a flat rear tire at the end of May. Used the sticky string type and it has held perfectly. Note that the "kit" only included the strings and insertion tool, not the required reamer tool. You will need the reamer to make small holes (staples, small nails, etc) large enough to get the string/tool inserted. Couple that with a 12V air compressor and you should be good to go. The air compressor also lets you lower tire pressure for off-pavement adventure, then get back up to street pressures for the ride home.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check out motopumps.com for a kit that includes the air compressor, repair kit, and some other goodies that have been useful. The whole kit fits under the seat and is a good price. Owner Rob is also a Strom rider that may knock off a few bucks for mentioning Stromtrooper. The air compressor has been great and you can get it so that it connects directly to the battery (so you don't have to have a power outlet). I use it whenever I need to fill up the tires.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the motopumps.com kit and think it's pretty cool for the money, but mine did NOT come with a reamer. Go figure. First step in using the supplied string kit is "ream the hole out with the reamer". What reamer? Mine did come with a non-functional pressure gauge though. Lesson Learned: check out all the stuff in the kit before expecting to use it on the road. Don't get a roadside surprise like I did (dead air pressure gauge and no reamer).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Plug

I have used the plug type fix, which was holding quite well (both of them, actually). But then I did something silly, like say lowered my tire pressure, and they fell out. I gather that they are supposed to somehow bond with the tire's rubber, but that did now seem to happen in my case, don't really know why. Being easy to use, I just put a new one back in and had a far more interesting time ridding back out on dirt then on the way in.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I also have the plug type. No issues. I think it's a talisman for not getting flat tires. Since I bought it, no flats! Also, as mentioned above, a small compressor is key. I've used it several times for riding buddies. More than paid for itself.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks - appreciate the advice. I checked out motopumps but since I already have a mini compressor on board I wont likely go that route. Can I safely assume that a plug/string kit for a radial tired car will work on a radial bike tire as well.?

In my mind they should but thought I'd ask.

Thanks and safe riding.

Bob

·
Registered
314 Posts
The string repair kits are the same for bikes or cars. In fact, the one that comes with the MotoPumps kit is the one I see hanging in every auto parts store or convenience store. Which doesn't include a reaming tool. Argh. Be sure you have:

- pliers or multi-tool (to remove the nail/etc)
- reamer tool (to prep the hole)
- string/plug and insertion tool
- knife to cut the excess string/plug off
- functional air pressure gauge
- mini compressor

OH! And a cell phone and credit card just in case you have a sidewall hole, big hole or the string/plug doesn't work. I know a few people that had to buy a new tire at a dealer while out on the road (at full MSRP) plus pay fairly high charges for mounting a tire with the wheel on the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts