StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace their tires yet, I bought my wee in March 2012 and have about 5,500 miles on it now. I would say i might need tires by the end of this season or at least by the start of next.

Does anyone have recommendations for tires for the new wee? I ride in northern Vermont and do about 60% nice roads, 20% rough roads ~19% dirt roads and ~<1% off road (with the wee). I ride rain or shine. I know from the factory it came with 80/20 on/off road tires.

It goes without saying you can reference me to a good thread on the topic, as i am sure there are plenty.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
this topic interest me in that i've never ridden dirt or a dual sport. i'm familiar with track tires, sport tires, sport touring tires, and CAR TIRES on a Goldwing. but i know absolutely nothing about what i might need for my strom when these tires go. most of the REQUIRED read threads such as buffeting, oil ect are a total waste of time because of all the thread hijacks, ect. so I welcome new input. thanks for starting a topic that i've already started researching.

·
Registered
255 Posts
for your type of riding, take a look at the Michelin Anakee 2. They get great reviews as well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I replaced with Michelin Pilot Road 3 and i am happy with them.
8000 km now and the rear one is probably good for another 8 or 10,000 km, and i would not be surprised if the front one last another 30,000 km.
I changed the OEM at 12,000 km, they would have be good for another 1,500 but had to change them before my trip to Nova Scotia.
And, yes there are topic on this on this forum...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did a bit of research on this before ordering and got the Heidenau K60 Scouts. They have been reported to get high miles and be good in all terrain you mentioned. There is a ton of information out there about tires and these were recommended a lot by the ADV community. Unfortunately I just got them delivered and haven't use them yet so I cannot give my own report. They do look cool next to the stock tires though :thumbup:

Here is a review on the tires from guys that rode them to Alaska:
Heidenau K60 Scout Tires, A Review On A Big Bike | CJ Designs LLC

Here is where I got them(other places may have them in stock also):
heidenau tires

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Welcome,

You came to the right place for expert advice, not only can we tell you what tire is best for your bike, but we can also tell you what oil is best for your engine, how often you should change it, how often to change the filter, and whether ABS is good or bad. Seriously start here and look at the many tire threads,

Suspension and Tire Tech - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums

·
Registered
220 Posts
I read through the VERY long tire thread, and it seemed to me that many people were big fans of the Bridgestone Battlewing tires.

Tire choices are so confusing since you don't get to try them out first, the best you can do is make an educated guess based on the opinions of others.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Factory tires

I'm now at 17 000Km and they are still in goog shape for another 2 000Km... I did order the same Bridgestone Tires for replacement

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm now at 17 000Km and they are still in goog shape for another 2 000Km... I did order the same Bridgestone Tires for replacement
I'm guessing you rarely have to drive in the pouring rain?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ive ridden in pouring rain on 2 lanes and at highway speeds. Was i supposed to slide off the road on these tires or something?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I ride in northern Vermont and do about 60% nice roads, 20% rough roads ~19% dirt roads and ~<1% off road (with the wee). I ride rain or shine.
I switched mine out when I first got the bike. I've done a fair bit of tire research and will try and summarize my findings. The first decision to make is if you want something that has a more aggressive tread pattern for off road. In general, the more aggressive the tread pattern, the shorter the tire life. I was looking for better off road performance so that is what I know most about.

If you'd like something that is about the same aggressiveness off road, people seem to really like the Battle Wings, the Anakees or Tourances. The Shinko 705's seem to be the best choice if you are looking for something economical. They seem to perform pretty good.

If you want something that is more aggressive off road, the best traction is obtained with a DOT approved knobby. These do not last very long, especially on the rear (3 to 6000 miles on average). The gold standard here is the Continental TKC80. The Kenda Big Blocks a a fair bit cheaper. Some like the Metzler Karoo. The street performance of these tires is surprisingly good.

If you want something that is more aggressive than stock, but that will outlast a DOT knobby, the choices get really thin. The Heinedau K60 Scout was the "go to" tire in this category here in the states. Many were running a K60 rear and a DOT knobby front to acheive about equal wear periods. About 18 months ago, Heinedau decided to add a solid center rib to the 150/70-17 size for better tread life. In the view of many, this severely diminished the off road performance of this tire. Others say that if you let enough pressure out so that the side lugs can begin to grip, that they are still OK.

A new choice in this area is the Mitas e-07. They are very aggressive and have a rep for lasting quite well. There is no USA distributor, but they can be ordered from MX1 Canada in Vancouver. The shipping to the states is expensive. I paid $35 for one tire or $45 for 2 to Salt Lake. If you live close to the border, perhaps you can ship them to somewhere in Canada and evade customs.

I went with a Mitas e-07 Dakar rear an e-10 Dakar (DOT knobby) front. I am very pleased with there performance. I just returned from a 5000 mile 4 week tour of the western USA with a lot of gravel road and some 4wd road and the tires did great. I now have over 6000 miles on them and they have a fair amount of tread left. I think I should get at least 10000 miles out of each. I plan to write a full review soon.

The e-07 rear.

The e-10 front.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Awesome post, Glasswave; very informative! :thumbup:

You should copy it over to the big tire thread; it could save people the trouble of reading through the entire thread!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had really good luck with anakees. I had 2 sets on my 2004 and they worked great wet or dry. I rode only paved roads but occassion very rough ones. I only got about 6000 miles out of the first pair of anakees, but that was riding on very twisty road about 25 miles every day. I've got 22000 km on the stock trailwings of my 2008 and still some tread left. That is about 50/50 city-hwy riding. I check the tire pressure regularly and I think that extends the wear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After much research I bought Heidenau K 60's... They had great reviews and a lot of folks saying 12000 miles out of them...

So far I have 200 miles on them. and the front tire sings like crazy. but they feel rock solid..... Revzilla..$335 delivered...

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Does anyone have recommendations for tires for the new wee? I ride in northern Vermont and do about 60% nice roads, 20% rough roads ~19% dirt roads and ~<1% off road (with the wee). I ride rain or shine. I know from the factory it came with 80/20 on/off road tires. Dan
My tyres after the OE ones were Mitas E07. They would be excellent for your riding combination. Such great confidence cornering on gravel roads -- and having stiff sidewalls, they can take heavy loads well and are stable with lowered air pressure, when needed. I have Tourance on now -- and while they are probably better on wet bitumin roads -- they're nowhere near as confidence inspiring in gravel -- compared to the Mitas

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
After much research I bought Heidenau K 60's... They had great reviews and a lot of folks saying 12000 miles out of them...

So far I have 200 miles on them. and the front tire sings like crazy. but they feel rock solid..... Revzilla..$335 delivered...

Wow yea you were definitely due for tires! Do you usually ride them down this far?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glasswave, where did you get those spoked wheels? The tubeless ones on the new beak-strom are a different design...

I'd like to get a second set of wheels for mine (currently running Michelin Pilot Road 4's for 100% all-weather street use, 9k miles to a rear, 12k+ to a front) and fit Heidenau's or something for when I find some trails to ride...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Being mostly a streety on the Glee, I tried the Bridgestone T30's in the North Georgia twisties last summer and they stuck like glue and transitioned nicely from full lean side to side. The rear made it 3 1/2 months before being replaced with a fresh one.

Now back south, going to square them off real good this winter in Florida and hope they will last until the end of May. Although I don't think the front will make it.

Next summer a fresh set of North Georgia tires will be installed and I am very interested in trying the new Bridgestone A40's.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have no complaints about my Shinko 705s. Seems like most of the negative reviews are from the older version(s).

I'm at about 2,000 miles on my front and rear and they both look like new.

I'll probably go with K60 or E07 the next go around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts