StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okie Dokie, I'm sure this will probably be like an oil thread, so what are the best tires for the new Wee??

How long do the trail wings last generally? I don't know why they call them death wings, they seemed OK on my ride today.

Is it you get what you pay for? I'm probably looking for something similar to the trail wings, maybe. Just checking out the options...

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Depends on the purpose.
The most expensive 90/10 tire, like trailwing, tourance, etc will entirely suck on the street compared to a 100% street tire like a bridgestone bt023.

A good street tire might cost 30-40% less.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Try the Battlewing, it's the Trailwing without the problems.

I'll admit the TW's are a lot more tolerable on the 2012, but the rear ABS has kicked in a lot more than I expected, and the rear end looses were why I tossed them less than half worn on my K6.

Pete

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I would think the new Wee would be a lot like the old Wee on this issue.

But to answer your questions. My stock Rear trailwing was swapped out at 11K miles and could have gone 1000 more, the front has 15,500 miles on it and still going.

I didn't think the Trailwings were bad at all, they performed well in all kind of conditions, while not high performance on the street or on the dirt they were good and fit how I used the bike. Plus they lasted a long time. I liked them, not to say other tires aren't better.

Look at the Tire thread in General Discussion for more complete list of tire options and reviews.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I would think the new Wee would be a lot like the old Wee on this issue.
The ABS on the new bike makes the 'random' rear slides "oh, that's interesting" instead of "Ooooh shiiiiiiiiiit"

Big difference in practice. Yes, they do work well, until they suddenly don't - every other tire I've run (including TKC-80's) has been a lot more predictable.

Pete

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
11k out of a rear trailwing? Wow. SV was lucky to get 6k out of any rear tire. If I can get that kind of mileage out of the TW I will stick with them, since they are pretty good all around tires.

For $138 each they better last, unless you can get them cheaper somewhere else.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/14704/ITEM/Bridgestone-TW152-Trail-Wing-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx

I noticed on the first ride yesterday that the rear ABS was "working" once in a while when stopping on asphalt. Tried the ABS on a gravel road both on the rear and front braking just for testing purposes. Works OK.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
what are the best tires for the new Wee??
IT depends on the surface where you ride, your riding style, and somewhat on your budget. Always on pavement?...Michelin Pilot Road 3
In deep sand/gravel/mud?...Continental TKC80/Metzeler Karoo/Kenda Big Block
Something in between?...a tire between these

1 - 7 of 7 Posts