StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking like I will need new rubber early next season for my 2017. Id like to buy in the off season to save a few $$$.

I do a good mix of paved and gravel roads but absolutely zero off road work as I have small bikes for the trails. Next summer I am planning a ride up the James bay road which is paved but is Ruff and some of the riding we will be doing is several hundred Km’s of gravel.

Tires I’m considering are the Mitas E07. Or the radial version of the Shinko 705s.

Just wondering if any one here has tried either or has better recommendations for my projected use.

Have had Metzler Torrance’s on my 07 Strom and disliked em especially in the rain. The stock batlax tires on my Strom been pretty good but have squared off pretty quick. Realistically I can probly make the trip on then but would rather have fresh rubber in hopes of avoiding flats if at all possible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looking like I will need new rubber early next season for my 2017. Id like to buy in the off season to save a few $$$.

I do a good mix of paved and gravel roads but absolutely zero off road work as I have small bikes for the trails. Next summer I am planning a ride up the James bay road which is paved but is Ruff and some of the riding we will be doing is several hundred Km’s of gravel.

Tires I’m considering are the Mitas E07. Or the radial version of the Shinko 705s.

Just wondering if any one here has tried either or has better recommendations for my projected use.

Have had Metzler Torrance’s on my 07 Strom and disliked em especially in the rain. The stock batlax tires on my Strom been pretty good but have squared off pretty quick. Realistically I can probly make the trip on then but would rather have fresh rubber in hopes of avoiding flats if at all possible.
Look at the new Metzler Tourance Next.. Very good reviews!
Also, Pirelli Trail Scorpion..

both tires are NOT for off-road.. Will be good for gravel.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Your point about having fresh rubber to avoid flats is the most important. The Shinko is a decent tire for $130 and the Bridgstone Trail Wing is a good Japanese made tire for 20 bucks more. They are quite similar tires though the Shinko is a bit more aggressive(and noisier). I ran Tourance front and back and found they were long wearing when they made them in Germany but wore quickly when they moved manufacture to China. This year I went back to the OEM Trailwings and they are excellent on the highway while still allowing me to cruise the forestry roads.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Been riding 20 years, never had a flat, until last week. Found a paper clip type wire in the tread groove of my tires, which have 2500 miles on them. Will new rubber help avoid flats, i suppose, but not always. I suppose if theyre really worn.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I’ve had good luck with the radial Shinkos on my 2014 650. They do make some noise. Work well in the rain as well. At least in Tropical Storm Bud last June riding through Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The E07 Dakar has a thicker sidewall(capable of running flat for short distances), & gets great wear mileage(10K ish). They can be a bear to mount if you are mounting them yourself though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts