StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2014 DL1000A (Current)
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some new tires the other day on line. Talked to my local dealer as to the cost to mount them for me. I said I would bring in the new tires and old tires on the rims and they just do the mounting. They told me $45.00 per tire. Sound like a lot of money to me. what say you?:confused:

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
my local dealer / to mount them for me. I said I would bring in the new tires and old tires on the rims and they just do the mounting. They told me $45.00 per tire.
That's in the ball park in my area, but you can usually get an independent shop for less.
I say put them on yourself for free...:thumb up:
That's the ticket. It's not like technical motor work, that dealers base $90 and up labor rates. Fixing flats on tube tires require about the same operation as changing tires.
If you get a flat on the rode, that could be repaired by yourself, you'll save enough for a new set of tires, by the time your pay for a tow & repair. It's something all bikers should be familiar with.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Tires are always an intimidating job to some riders, its usually the fear of the unknown that keeps us rattled. If you jump in and also get help from a more experienced friend you will see its not the horror story it may seem.
There are tricks to learn that make the job go easier, but the experience will benefit you for the rest of your riding days.
After you gain experience you will see it is a waste of money to hire the minimum-wager at the local shop to do the job, frequently with so-so results.
I would never trust some stranger to get my tires mounted with the same care I give them myself--my standard is PERFECTION, and I always rise to that standard. Learn to change your own tires, and you'll never go back. Sometimes its even fun making a party out of it--several guys will bring their tire changes and you can all help each other while playing music, cooking hot dogs. Some will want to down a bunch of beer, use your own good judgement.
Finish off with a super balance job, and you will be cruising smooth til the tire's worn to the cord. Then do it all again.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Go to HF, buy there tire mounting stand ( about $50 ) and there bar ( about $15 ) and change them yourself.I spent about $75 on both and a few pieces of steel for a base and I have changed about 30 tires.My local ind shop charges $25 per tire so that X 30 =.$750.00 ,I'd say it was a good $75 investment!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are other shops that do it cheaper.. also most shops have free mount and balance when you buy tires from them.
Sure do it yourself if you have the right tools. (remember its not just mounting, you have to balance the wheels as well). Pay a dealer have it done right if you dont have the time or tools.. Technicians are people to..we all have to eat...

·
Registered
414 Posts
my dealer changes them for free when I buy the tires from them. I get a discount on the tires so they are only slightly more than online and I support my local dealer. WIN-WIN.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Most dealerships where I live charge about $40.00 for a tire you purchased somewhere else. Most charge about $20.00 for an inhouse purchased tire. I've been changing my own for over three years now. Don't miss the dealers etc. at all.

·
Registered
2014 DL1000A (Current)
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!!

Thanks guys for the information, I’m pretty mechanically inclined and should be able to change out the tires myself…I got the rims off the bike without much of a problem. I was looking into the equipment needed before I posted this thinking about doing it myself. As far as balancing goes, I’m not worried about that, I’m going to be using “Ride On” with these tires and that product pretty much “self balances” the tires. I’ll let you know how it goes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Bought some new tires the other day on line. Talked to my local dealer as to the cost to mount them for me. I said I would bring in the new tires and old tires on the rims and they just do the mounting. They told me $45.00 per tire. Sound like a lot of money to me. what say you?:confused:
I just recently (a week ago) paid $40 for the front and $44 for the rear for me to ride my bike there, and then ride it home about 45 minutes later with the new tires on it. They were $29 a piece if I brought in my wheel's and tires seperately. The extra $26 was worth it for me to not have to hassle with it.

I would however recommend going to a smaller dealer or MC shop...I went to a big chain and now I will never go there again for any service because of the poor experience I had.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks guys for the information, I’m pretty mechanically inclined and should be able to change out the tires myself…I got the rims off the bike without much of a problem. I was looking into the equipment needed before I posted this thinking about doing it myself. As far as balancing goes, I’m not worried about that, I’m going to be using “Ride On” with these tires and that product pretty much “self balances” the tires. I’ll let you know how it goes.:thumbup:
Check out some videos on youtube on how to change your own motorcycle tires... That's how I learned...

Good luck
Cheers

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yeah...what he said!

I say put them on yourself for free...:thumbup:
At the shop I work at we have a menu of different rates for different situations. On the bike, off the bike, dirt bike, sport bike, bigass touring rig with bags, ATV, etc. For a couple of Strom wheels off the bike would be about $53 bucks including balancing and tax( PA charges sales tax on labor). For a rear tire on a Honda ST13 on the bike or a Harley bagger - take out a second mortgage on your house and give us a call.:green_lol:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Check a few independent shops. I'm very fortunate to have a great shop near me (Santa Clara Cycle Accessories) that has prices for tires comparable to most online places, and they'll mount and balance for free if I bring the wheels in off the bike.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Usually costs me a 12 pack for mount and balance, but I quit balancing and I'm using Ride On for balancing now.
Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just paid $25/ tire, off the bike, plus $15/ tire to add RideOn in each one. Total was about $80.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm a noob to this too. Always paid someone to swap tires for me.. usually made the mistake of ordering the tires through them too. I've paid a lot for tires and mounting over the years.

I ordered a set of irons and balance weights; they should be here Tuesday.

I found this video helpful. Fortunately (or not) I won't actually have to do the change until June-ish.

RideOn uh?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do my own tires but about 6 years ago I checked around to see what it would cost to let someone else do it.

Local Kawasaki dealer $80 per tire (carried in)
Local Suzuki dealer $70 per tire (carried in)
Cycle gear $25 (carried in) questionable experience

The kawasaki dealer closed the doors 2 years ago its now a small hardware store the suzuki dealer is hanging in but they have low overhead more of a mom and pop type dealership.

I buy tires online and mount and balance myself to save $200 + :jawdrop:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Riding 25000 miles a year on a Harley touring bike tires and labor starting getting pricey, so I bought a cycle hill tire changer. Now I've done BMWs, Urals, Buells and soon Suzuki.
I've been balancing the tires but I'm thinking of using Ride-on.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts