StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good place to get tires mounted in the Indianapolis area. The dealerships I have called all want around $120 and that's a bit salty.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Can you remove the wheels, maybe one at a time, take them to the shop and then reinstall them? That'll save a lot. The rate here for carried-in wheels is $20.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Siggma Cycle in Brownsburg are good or you could get a hold of Brian(bwringer). I'm sure he would be happy to take a few dollars to help you out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Siggma Cycle in Brownsburg are good or you could get a hold of Brian(bwringer). I'm sure he would be happy to take a few dollars to help you out.
Brian did the job!

Thanks!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't mean to harp on this but it would benefit you to learn to do this job at home--you save lots of money doing it yourself and it makes you way more secure in handling a tire problem out on the road.
I do all my own tire changes and have helped all my friends with their tire changes, and if you make a party out of it it is even fun! Someone can bring drinks and get some music goin and its fun messing with the bikes with friends. I would rather do a perfect job of it for myself than hire someone else to do it. I always get a perfect balance at home--very satisfying.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Un huh

I don't mean to harp on this but it would benefit you to learn to do this job at home--you save lots of money doing it yourself and it makes you way more secure in handling a tire problem out on the road.
I do all my own tire changes and have helped all my friends with their tire changes, and if you make a party out of it it is even fun! Someone can bring drinks and get some music goin and its fun messing with the bikes with friends. I would rather do a perfect job of it for myself than hire someone else to do it. I always get a perfect balance at home--very satisfying.
Amen, brother. Been doing my own tire changes and balancing since my second bike back in 1978. In fact I do all my own work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's not necessary to drop a ton of cash into tire tools. I'm using a Moose Racing portable stand and a No Scuff tire tool. The stand has since been bolted to a 2' x 2' piece of plywood which in turn bolts to the garage floor when in use.

The balancer for my DL1000 is a 15" length of 20mm shaft stock from McMaster-Carr that rides in two unshielded 47mm bearings which have 20mm internal bores. The bearing outer races rest on my folding saw horses. Total balancer cost was about $30. DL650 owners will need to deal with the issue of having different axle diameters for their front and rear wheels.

I'm in the process of building a bead breaker, which will most likely end up being a 2 x 4 hinged to one of the garage wall studs. There are plenty of pictures and videos on the web if you do a search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts