StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK guys, got a delima I can't see to figure out.

I've been riding for 35 years so by no means do I consider myself a newbie or a rookie. But when it comes to getting miles out of a tire (front or rear) I guess I am a rookie......

Throughout this forum, and others, I read where people state they get 10k, 11k, or more, out of a rear tire. And it doesnt seem to be brand specific - folks generally relate this to all makes.

What am I doing wrong? Throughout my experiences with now two different Wee's, as well as a couple of crotch rockets, a BMW, and even a pair of Harleys, I have never, I repeat, never, gotten more than 4k to 5k out of a rear tire..... period.

I am religious about maintaining proper air pressure, I do ride a little fast I guess (love the twisties) but not excessively. I live\ride mostly in South Texas where our summer temps generally stay in the 90's to 100's so yea, the road surfaces are hot. And those surfaces run the typical range - grooved concrete, old chunked asphalt, new blacktop, etc. And I rarely venture off-road with the Vee (got a dirt bike for that fix) and I don't overload my Wee - heck I dont even run with the panniers normally unless I'm on a trip. Lastly, I weigh 170 lbs and I never ride 2-up (the wife dosen't participate in my obsession), so what gives????

Do you 10k guys only ride in the rain, and\or on cold days? :confused:

Any thoughts, suggestions??

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have an 8500 mile rear TW that simply won't die (I really want to replace it with a Conti Trail Attack). I ride pretty much every day, rain, sun, cold, hot (I live in Maine). I ride mostly street, but seek dirt for short stretches. I'm not light on the throttle, I have a 2002 DL1000 and like to use a little throttle from time to time. I guess I will get another 2K on that rear.

I can't tell you why it is lasting as long as it has, from the reports I'd heard, I expected it to be done by 5K. What do I know?

On other bikes, my '99 R1100RT especially, I don't think my rear Metzlers would make 5k.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have 8100 mi on my TWs. I'm guessing the rear will go another 2000 mi by the looks of it. I mainly commute to work in a region characterized by 85-95 deg. F weather conditions during summer. Average speed is 50 - 65 mph. Not real light on throttle; mainly straightaways so rear has begun to square off.

Don't know why you only get 5k off your tires. What's the primary road aggregate like in your area?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I got 9500 miles out of the Trailwings and 5500 mile out of a set of Dunlop d607s. I now have 8000 miles on a set of Battlewings with about 2000 miles left on them.
My riding consists of South and North Carolina Mountains for pleasure and commute to work on country roads. I do very little slab riding. If the road is long and straight I take the truck.
I do ride all year long. I put the most miles on the bike in the fall and spring.

Regards Mike D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have 8100 mi on my TWs. I'm guessing the rear will go another 2000 mi by the looks of it. I mainly commute to work in a region characterized by 85-95 deg. F weather conditions during summer. Average speed is 50 - 65 mph. Not real light on throttle; mainly straightaways so rear has begun to square off.

Don't know why you only get 5k off your tires. What's the primary road aggregate like in your area?
Ive come to think that most of the wear can be attributed to the very hot average road temps combined with rough road surfaces. We try and avoid the slabs whenever possible, so most of the roads we ride are in the Hillcountry which are rural County and Farm to Market roads. The aggregate varies, but is mostly rough and choppy asphalt, a lot of which has loose gravel due to age and condition.

I can usually go two rears to every one front. The rear starts to square off after about 2k to 3k. Most of my buddies experience the same problems, so it's gotta be a condition typical to the area in which we ride. That leads me back to the heat and crappy roads.

Im trying the Shinko 705's right now, which replaced the stock Trailwings I took off. The rear had 5500 miles at its replacement and although it wasn't quite toast yet, the center was worn flat with no tread. But like I said, I dont think it's the Trailwing becuase I've had similar issues on my other bikes which had various shoes ranging from Metzeler 880's, Pirelli's, and the standard Harley Dunlops....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Tire pressure means something

I got 7.5k out of the stock TW's and had to replace both. The rear was totally gone and the front was badly cupped. When I replaced them with the Dunlop 607's I asked what gives from the tire folks. They questioned my tire pressure settings. They told me under inflated tires run alot hotter than properly inflated ones and suspected I was under inflating them. Long story short, we tested my cheapo gauge against the one they used and it was 5 lbs off. They also said I made it worse by using the inflation recommendations on the chain guard. So, I now inflate to 38/39 psi on the front and 40/41 on the rear and check it with a good gauge. Current mileage on the 607's is 12k front (still on the bike and looking great) and the rear lasted approximately 8k. I replaced the rear one with a Conti Trail Attack that currently has about 4k on it and it still looks great.

·
Registered
600 Posts
OK guys, got a delima I can't see to figure out.

I've been riding for 35 years so by no means do I consider myself a newbie or a rookie. But when it comes to getting miles out of a tire (front or rear) I guess I am a rookie......

Throughout this forum, and others, I read where people state they get 10k, 11k, or more, out of a rear tire. And it doesnt seem to be brand specific - folks generally relate this to all makes.

What am I doing wrong? Throughout my experiences with now two different Wee's, as well as a couple of crotch rockets, a BMW, and even a pair of Harleys, I have never, I repeat, never, gotten more than 4k to 5k out of a rear tire..... period.

I am religious about maintaining proper air pressure, I do ride a little fast I guess (love the twisties) but not excessively. I live\ride mostly in South Texas where our summer temps generally stay in the 90's to 100's so yea, the road surfaces are hot. And those surfaces run the typical range - grooved concrete, old chunked asphalt, new blacktop, etc. And I rarely venture off-road with the Vee (got a dirt bike for that fix) and I don't overload my Wee - heck I dont even run with the panniers normally unless I'm on a trip. Lastly, I weigh 170 lbs and I never ride 2-up (the wife dosen't participate in my obsession), so what gives????

Do you 10k guys only ride in the rain, and\or on cold days? :confused:

Any thoughts, suggestions??
Since you rarely venture off road consider a Metzeler ME880 rear. I suspect your high speed runs on hot pavement require a tire with harder rubber.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I've seem to notice that other than obvious abuse... a major factor seems to be how much high temp/long distances the tire sees. Continuous riding all at once and especially in very high temps seems to go hand in hand with people getting poor mileage.

Then how quickly you accelerate to road speed makes a big difference. Under had acceleration your rear tires is slipping some.. sanding down the tire sorta speak. High steady speeds on gravel will do the same.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On my Wee the stock rear TW lasted my 10,875 miles; probably could have pushed it to 11k but I was going on a trip and changed it for safety. I am at 15k now and the replacement Battlewing looks almost new.

I am still on the stock front TW at 15k miles and plan on getting another 500-or 1000 miles out of it. The front tire did start to cup a little at about 14K letting my know it's remaining life is short.

Ideally I am trying to stagger replacements of fornt a back so I will replace the front and rear tires at the same point at about 32k miles.

I am a little lazy. I don't check tire pressure often and when I do fill the tires generally I overfill them 2 or 3 psi. I run at high speeds 80 mph+ on the highway for long periods 1-2 hr which doens't help tire life either. I don't know why tires last for me but they do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the aggregate the roads are made of really makes a difference for wear. A lot of the rural two lane roads around here are chip seal made from very angular 3/4 minus, kind of like riding on 40 grit sand paper if you will, the major roads and hwys are made with a much finer grind or concrete so the surface would like riding on 400 grit sandpaper.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Roosterman, I don't have the benefit of your years of experience, I've only been riding four years and a bit over 60,00 miles between my two bikes. However, I get so much more mileage out of my tires than other riders, everyone thinks I am lying about it, but I am not. My Concours was my first bike, I had new stock OEM Dunlops put on when I bought it (used), and they lasted 14,400 miles. A guy in Texas called me a liar since he averages about 5,000 miles on the same tires. The very next set of Dunlops on that bike lasted only a little over 7,000 miles. The ONLY difference was my being more aggressive with the bike. Now runnnig Michelin Pilot GT's which are expected to last much longer. I replaced the rear tire on my Wee Strom at 3000 miles due to giant nail in sidewall, then replaced the front and rear (OEM Trailwings) together at 15,000. Those tires might even have gone another couple of thousand, but I had it down for other work, so changed then out then. I ride year-round, rain, summer heat, whatever, on a combination of good ashpalt and crappy chip-seal and some gravel/dirt logging roads. It seems to me that the throttle is the biggest killer of tires.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
world traveler

i met a guy who was rideing around the world over three years . he told me he kept is speeds low and took off from stops very easy in order to get high mileage from his tires . he aslo explained he was in no hurry

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
RM,

Riding in the same heat and similar combination of roads, I'm at 5K on the original tires and it looks like it will be 8K or so before they need replacement. Running 33 lbs frt and 36 lbs rear. I do remember some of the Hill Country roads being pretty rough. Great riding though down there...

·
Registered
678 Posts
I got about 14K out of my first set of TWs. The second rear TW succumbed to a nail around 11K. I then replaced both with BattleWings; I have about 8k on these. They're a bit squared off but otherwise OK.

Most of my riding these days is urban commuting :( but I ride my fair share of twisty roads too, including some in very hot weather -- but I try to avoid that.

I also tend to be very easy on the throttle, so that might explain why I've enjoyed such good tire longevity.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I ride a '06 Wee, ride all year, in all weather, in SE Louisiana. There is an abundant amount of heat, humidity, wind, rain and bad roads down here. It doesn't very cold down here, maybe 20 deg.f. max. I weigh 200-lbs with riding gear and carry 20-lbs in my Givi panniers daily; more on road trips. I have a 90 mile daily commute and like to leave the state during weekends/holidays. My racing days are way behind me. I'm now a 'conservative' rider and obey the speed laws (+5 max). I still like my turns (hard to find down here) and an occasional jaunt down that unimproved road to see what's on the other side.

OEM Trailwings: 11,500 Rear (38 Psi); 12,500 Front (36 Psi)
Battlewings: 15,750 Rear (38 Psi); 18,900 Front (36 Psi)
ME880: 140/80HB17 Rear, 16,700 (40 Psi); 100/90HB19 Front, 19,850 (38 psi)
ME880: 160/70HB17 Rear, Current tire with 8,000 and very little wear (38 Psi); 110/90HB19 Front, Current tire with 700 and no sign of wear (38 psi)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Chunked up asphalt or rough roads will kill a tire in no time. I was getting 10k out of a rear tire no problem.....with stock tires and recommended air pressure, and all seasons riding. No bad roads though, just good pavement and occasional gravel roads (graded gravel).

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, now you got me thinking.....

Hey, thanks to everyone for the feedback. Man, I believe you guys, but it makes my head spin to think some of you are getting 12k out of a rear. Hell, that's historically been 2, almost 3, rears for me.........

I just put on the 705's and the tires say 32 PSI. I think I'm gonna up it to 40 PSI and if she handles\rides OK I'll leave em at that. Obviously it's a long-term test so time will tell I reckon. A bunch of buddies and I are leaving in 2 weeks from Texas to Springfield ILL for the AMA Springfield Nationals dirt track races, so that should be a good +2000 mile test (we take the scenic routes!). We'll see how they look after that.

Again, thanks for the info and perhaps PSI is the key I was looking for.....

·
Registered
292 Posts
I only got 6200 out of the stock trailwings, but i'm not surprised. I ride tons of West Virginia backroads that are of the tar and chipped nature and its rough on tires. I just put some ME880's on both front and rear and will see how they do. I'm not a peg dragger by any means so hopefully i'll get a few more miles out of the Metzelers.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I only got 6200 out of the stock trailwings, but i'm not surprised. I ride tons of West Virginia backroads that are of the tar and chipped nature and its rough on tires.
Same here lots of WV and the Wee only got about 6K out of the back TW and 7K out of the front. My wife doesn't scrape pegs often, but can't be missing by much. She is hard on the throttle (often running around 8 to 10K rpm) and I imagine none of that is good for tire longevity. Tires are a small price to pay for a fun ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts