StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from a dealer service center. I asked about tires and brand selection. When they heard how many mile I have on my tires they thought I should stay with the brand I have The Bridgestones that came on my DL-1000.

I was equally amazed at what they said was the average life in miles is for motorcycle tires.

I wonder what the vaerage life in miles we experience as group.

Please post up your experience...

Thanks
DavidLSI

·
Registered
180 Posts
TW rear = 16,000Kms (10,000 Miles)
TW Front = 18,000Kms (11,000 Miles)

:D

V.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Just now replacing the front TW at 8200. Replaced the rear TW at 5500 because I picked up 2 nails and rode on 2 plugs for 3mos. I probably could have got at least another 2000 out of it. Both replaced with Tourances.

D

·
0 Posts
Replaced both 'Wings at roughly 7500 miles. The rear was toast, but the front probably had another 1000 miles left in it. However, I switched to a Metzler Z6 for the rear - and since mix 'n matching is not a good idea I replaced the front at the same time. I'm glad I did, as I prefer the Z6s. They definitely handle better and seem to wear better too. I'd guess they'll last about 9000 miles, maybe more.

I've had really good luck with Avon Venoms on my H-D. They improved ride and handling and gave me about 15000 quality miles to boot!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow, I think I had about 5K on the stock Trailwing. Yikes, I ride like a madman.

That said, in my opinion the Trailwings were great for about 1500 miles, after that they were like riding on a constant tar snake for the last 3500 miles. Worst tires ever if you ride the bike pretty fast and hard.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm at 4K and the rear's getting pretty well worn.. I'm guessing they have another 1 to 1.5K left..

I have a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Road tires in the garage, just waiting for the Deathwings to go away..

I'm hard on tires.. I brake hard and I accelerate hard.. I'm not a wheelie or stoppie guy, but I do run tires hard.. Even more so on twins.. Must be the torque pulses or something..

I've hated the Wings from day one. I never felt comfortable on them, even after raising the forks, which really helped the way the bike felt..

From what I gather, I think I'll really like the Pilot Roads.. Very neutral and sticky, and I've had them on other bikes and was pleased with mileage, too..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Both TW's off at 7200. The rear TW was shot and the front was cupped.

Spooned on toe-rances and have 6677 miles on them to date. I am putting on a new rear Tourance for tractions sake soon. The rear still has a minimum depth of .110". Front looks good with a small amount of cupping.

I got two holes in the rear. One was when the tires was new. I worm plugged and slimed. I just a recently got a metal shard and it cured itself after a few days.

39 to 40 psi front and rear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got nearly 14,000 miles on the original Trailwings and they should be good for at least 18,000 miles, if the chain lasts that long. I'll probably switch to Dunlop 607s, but the TWs have been acceptable for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
TW rear - replaced at 14000km with a Bridgestone Exedra 160/70 that I got for free and thought I may as well try. I like it! No problems with grip wet or dry, and the bigger size has raised the gearing just a fraction, which I'm happy with. It has also increased the ground clearance a little, so it's pretty rare to touch the pegs down now. Haven't noticed any other significant changes to the handling. Reckon I'll probably use the bigger size next time too.

TW front - still good at 16000km, but will change soon just because it's almost 2 years old, probably go for a BT020.

NO complaints at all about the TW's though, but no harm trying something different.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm still using the original set at 16,000 miles. They are nearing the end of their lives. I have tried to use every bit of life out of car tires in the past, and given that experience, I think I will replace the Wee's tires before history tries to repeat itself. :oops:

·
Registered
44 Posts
On my K4 DL1000 I have 14K on the original trailwings. There is still tread enough for a few more thousand miles, but the "sticky" is almost gone from the tires, so I'll end up with some "607's soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can't remember when I got rid of the OEM Trailwings, but they still had tread, just no stick and I didn't like them.

Switched to Anakees and haven't looked back. Great grip, they work well in the twisties, in the rain, and on the race track. I'm generally putting ~10,000km on a rear and 20,000km on a front.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I am running Anakees and I like them. The wet grip is excellent. The dry grip is excellent too. Quicker turn in than the TW's. I have done some really nice twisties on these tires and run them to the edges and they performed extremely well IMO.

I have just over 4000 mi. on them and the rear is almost done. I should get another 500 mi. out of it maybe. The front looks great. I am running 36 psi front and 40 psi rear.

These tires are excellent in the dirt too.

The somewhat poor mileage on the rear is due to a couple of long highway trips that wore down the middle more than the rest.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Replaced the stock Deathwings as soon as I got the new bike home (so they had a/b 600mi on them)

Front Tourance #1 - 17,000mi
Front Tournace #2 - 14,500mi
Front Tournace #3 - current

Rear Tourance #1 - 11,000
Rear Tournace #2 - 9,500
Rear Tournace #3 - 10,000
Rear Tourance #4 - 8,500
Rear Tournace #5 - current

Like the Metzeler Tourance but wish the Z6 set was available for the Strom. :(

Stromette

1 - 20 of 39 Posts