StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i've been reading through threads and threads (mostly oldish) , and i'm just going to throw up another one.

i'm needing new tires soon. here in texas we have a lot of chip seal roads with lots of grooves cut out in curves and out and with pieces of road in the mix. more twistys in north texas where i'm at now, too.

so-i'm looking for tires that handle well in the curves, the long haul and will do gravel county roads as well.

i was looking at metzler tourance regular and exp. difference?

thoughts w/out too much verbiage and thanks ahead of time for your info on this redundant subject.

btw, the battlewing rear i have on now is wearing out pretty quickly.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I've used Tourances (1 generation) more than any other tire on my first DL650. In 62,000 miles I think I had five rears and two fronts. I would get 9,000 miles out of the rears. The cupping was bad enough on the fronts that I tried a couple of other tires, but the Tourances would last about 15,000.

I've just burned through a set of Anakees on my noew '07 and I prefer the Tourances. Especially on grooved chip seal.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There are many reasons for the rate of tire wear including the abrasiveness of the aggregate used in the pavement and the road temperature.

The Tourance EXP is a softer tire that will grip better and wear faster.

I tend to buy the newest tire model figuring that the tire maker has something better in rubber compound, carcass design, or tread design. I think that would be the Michelin Anakee 3. If you have a place to mount your own tires, look at the Shinko 705 or similar Full Bore M40. They are cheap, but the rears wear quicker than other tires...may be a money saver if you get the tire mounting cheap enough.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Tourance EXP in North Texas here. Good wear and great grip when I manage to take the DLK to AR. or CO. 8000 on last rear and 12000 on front.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I'm on my fourth (I think) set of the EXP. I get only 5K miles on the rear but they handle like a Trailwing with glue on it. The one time I did overcook a corner the front let me know with a slight bobble and then hooked back up nice and smooth. I was scraping pegs both sides with a GSXR on my tail at the time. Rated tops in the wet. Love this tire!

Bill

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what's you're opinion on the exp on the front and regular tourance on the rear? i read they may wear evenly.

or for stick factor do i stick with exp's on both.

(what the eff, make a decision already :headbang:)

and i may just stick with the battlewings.... :argue:

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
Look at the Tourance "Next" over the EXP.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
i've read some funky reviews on those, big b.
And I have read some funky reviews on the EXP. ;) Give these tires a look, I have them and am VERY impressed. Dunlop TR91........

·
Registered
702 Posts
You could probably use a harder (longer lasting) tire than the EXP, assuming you're in a warm climate.
Here in the GREAT PNW, the EXPs work great for our wet roads.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
what's you're opinion on the exp on the front and regular tourance on the rear? i read they may wear evenly.
I had that combination. Worked well, and both wore out at about the same time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I have read some funky reviews on the EXP. ;) Give these tires a look, I have them and am VERY impressed. Dunlop TR91........

i saw your comments on these big b, and was considering until i remembered that i had a set of dunlops on a shadowsabre i had and couldn't wait to get them off, as did most other sabre riders i encountered. they were the stockers. but that was a handful of years ago.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
i saw your comments on these big b, and was considering until i remembered that i had a set of dunlops on a shadowsabre i had and couldn't wait to get them off, as did most other sabre riders i encountered. they were the stockers. but that was a handful of years ago.
Well you are missing out on one helluva tire, this is no cheap poopy cruiser tire. ;) Considering how successful Dunlop is with their racing tires and MX tires, I say they know a thing or 2 about tires. :fineprint: I had a bad experience "as have many" with Bridgestones on my C14 and could not wait to get them off, but I would have missed out on how good the Battlewing is as a tire for the Strom had I kept that mindset. These are worth a shot and I HIGHLY recommend them, they handle amazing in all conditions and seem to be wearing well. I will buy them again in a heartbeat, but I want to try the Anakee III out first.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well you are missing out on one helluva tire, this is no cheap poopy cruiser tire. ;) Considering how successful Dunlop is with their racing tires and MX tires, I say they know a thing or 2 about tires. :fineprint: I had a bad experience "as have many" with Bridgestones on my C14 and could not wait to get them off, but I would have missed out on how good the Battlewing is as a tire for the Strom had I kept that mindset. These are worth a shot and I HIGHLY recommend them, they handle amazing in all conditions and seem to be wearing well. I will buy them again in a heartbeat, but I want to try the Anakee III out first.
LOL on the 'poopy' part.

do you do any gravel roads? if so, how are they?
tru dat on the different tire aspects on different style rides.
with the chip seal roads here, and reading about how the anakee's like to hum, i'm thinking i gotta rule those out for noise. other than that i may have given them a go.

thanks for the dialogue-appreciated. i'll check into the dunflops-i mean the lops:mrgreen: a bit more, too.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
LOL on the 'poopy' part.

do you do any gravel roads? if so, how are they?
tru dat on the different tire aspects on different style rides.
with the chip seal roads here, and reading about how the anakee's like to hum, i'm thinking i gotta rule those out for noise. other than that i may have given them a go.

thanks for the dialogue-appreciated. i'll check into the dunflops-i mean the lops:mrgreen: a bit more, too.
Glad I made you giggle a bit. Yeah I ride allot of gravel roads and the occasional hard pack, and I think these tires do quite well. Ton of chip and seal here in Ohio too, and like I said previously, I think the wear so far "over 5K" has been pretty good. The rain performance really impressed me, I seem to find rain allot. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
a lot of chip seal roads
lots of grooves cut out in curves and out and with pieces of road in the mix. more twistys in north texas where i'm at now, too.

---so-i'm looking for tires that handle well in the curves,
---the long haul
---and will do gravel county roads as well.
You're looking for some things that seem to be mutually exclusive. A long wearing tire, especially on abrasive road surfaces, has to give up traction in exchange for tread life. A great tire for traction in the curves won't be long wearing. A tire that is good in gravel won't have the max traction for curves nor the longest wear.

Would the Michelin Anakee III best meet your needs?
MICHELIN Anakee III - Tires On-road | MICHELIN Motorcycle - United States - Motorcycle-website

Pirelli Scorpion Trail? (By the way, Pirelli owns Metzeler.)
SCORPION TRAIL , Motorcycle Tires - PIRELLI US

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
see, that's all i needed-a visual! (i know, it's a commercial)

ok, now leaning anakees and even brian's going to jump ship on his beloved dunlops to give them a go. :biggrinjester:

thanks again, guys, for the feedback and the links.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts