StromTrooper banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I put a TPMS system on my ST1300. Talk about an eye opening experience. I used to check my pressures at the start of a ride and set them at 42psi front and back. Never thought much else about it as long as the tires felt OK as I was riding. Repeat the next day, etc. After I put the TPMS system on, I left for a 10 day trip to the Black Hills. The weather was quite warm and I rode "briskly". Within a relatively short period of time, my front tire was at 48psi and my rear was at 52 psi. WTH??? I figured the sensors were not working correctly. Nope. Checked with a gauge and that is what it read as well.
The old adage of a tire should go up by 7-10% from cold after running (for a car) sure doesn't work for me anymore for bikes.

Since then, I have checked it several times against a gauge and the results are the same. The tires can go up 20% and more if I really start pushing it in the twisties. I have seen as high as 56 lbs on the rear after a spirited run through some fairly technical roads. Just as interesting is the temperature difference of some 25 degrees F front to back which I can understand.

Without the TPMS system, I would never have guess that there was that much of an increase when the tire was hot.

Incidentally, BMW (and maybe other manufacturers) factory TPMS system adjusts the pressure readings to a set temperature with the built in algorithm. I think it is 20 C. So that is why you don't see the big pressure differences from cold to hot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I really don't understand why anyone is using a TPMS instead of a simple tire guage.
Spending $60 instead of using a $7 digital gauge. :rolleyes:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,188 Posts
I used to use racing tire pressure gauges that accurately measured to tenths of a pound. Accurate I can say..because they were sent back to the manufacturer each season for calibration. Kept in an aluminum padded case otherwise.

You would be surprised at how far off some tire gauges are. Price doesn't guarantee accuracy. That said 2-3 lbs off is not all that big a factor. Especially if you watch your tires and understand how tire pressure relates to wear and feel. I use the manufacturers recommended pressure as a starting point.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
I used mine for 5 years with no issue and forgot the sensors on the bike when I sold it. They are NOT easily broken and if you are anal then put it in your pocket...takes ☕ 2 seconds.

In return you know all the time what your tire pressure and temps are.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,188 Posts
@Macdoc
Simple answer to using a tire gauge.
I like to check my tire pressure BEFORE starting out on a ride!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have been using TPMS on my cars and bikes for over 10 years and on a bike I've never had a increase more the 5psi unless the pressures were to low to begin with.

If you run TPMS you know your pressures before you start your ride and that is important because most often tires go down overnight.

With a TPMS if you do loose air you can most times get to choose where & when you fix the leak, if it's going down slow you ride on to the next town, if it's a bigger leak you find a shady tree.

I prefer a complete unit but you can get ones that hook to your phone and the cloud, they can't be used by anyone else so security shouldn't be a problem.

On my cars I use Tyredog, they are accurate and have never let me down, for my bikes i get them from Ebay but you have to spell motorcycle as 2 words "motor cycle" TPMS, I found them to be very user friendly for dopes like me.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
".... increase more the 5psi unless the pressures were to low to begin with...."

I used to think that until my experience on the bike. Verified several times using gauge. Not sure what to think unless most systems are corrected for temp and mine isn't. Haven't bothered to investigate further since I am more concerned with loss of psi not gain.

Like Shelby, we used to use tire pressures to set up the race car (among other things of course) and didn't see the large increases that I am seeing on the bike. Maybe has to do with the comparative air volumes in the tires?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts