StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 Wee, last time I bought tires, Bridgestone Battlewings 110/80R Front
and 150/70R Rear. BW501-F & BW502-F rear. 10,000 miles out of them

Same website, now these do not appear as tires for this bike, when searched by bike?

And when i find them, they have 3 options , E, G and something else, at different prices, with no explanation what the difference is.

As long as I get 110/80R and 150/70R, does it make any difference? Running out of tread, thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
one of life's greatest mysteries. I searched around and could never find an answer to what the differences were. Most i could find out was that they were specific to certain oem bikes. But, anybody's guess to what, if any, differences. I ended up ordering the cheapest version (though i don't recall which letter it was), and they worked out fine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've seen that. Several tires are called out as model specific but are the same as their other offering. I guess its like the guys who run Yamaha oil the their Yammy and Honda stuff in their Honda. Buy on price if the specs are the same. I've noticed the same tire may come in various speed designations.

·
Administrator
5,718 Posts
So long as you choose any make of 110/80x19 and 150/70x17 they will fit your bike.

That opens up a whole range of different tyres that might be better suited to where you ride your Strom - for instance a specific sealed road type tyre if you never travel on dirt roads, or a 70/30 or 50/50 tyre if you often abandon the sealed roads.

There are hundreds of threads and thousands of opinions in the "Suspension and Tire Tech" section. Spend some time there.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There are hundreds of threads and thousands of opinions in the "Suspension and Tire Tech" section. Spend some time there.
This thread is going there too.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
one of life's greatest mysteries. I searched around and could never find an answer to what the differences were. Most i could find out was that they were specific to certain oem bikes. But, anybody's guess to what, if any, differences. I ended up ordering the cheapest version (though i don't recall which letter it was), and they worked out fine.
That's what I have done too, though I have wondered what I would get for a few bucks more. :confused:

I noticed on Revzilla numerous folks have asked but no one has answered.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Do we have the Great Tire Thread yet?
GW didn't shut down the this entry.
What Brokie said about any tire of the correct size is good....limited to your experiences.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For the Bridgestone the letter (E,G,J, so on) is the OEM applications. Supposedly the bead is a little different, I have used many different ones with no bad effects. Revzilla generally list them on their site.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I also tried to decipher the application codes on the BW, a while back. Sometimes, the OEM application on vendors sites conflicted with the very limited info on Bridgestone's site. I went with the generic no code in the Wee sizes. I'm not the greatest tire changer, but I couldn't get mine mounted with my tricked out HF changer. and had to pay a pro.
I love the BW tires, but the front new tire tread depth was the shallowest I have ever seen on a motorcycle tire. At best, they will last as long as the rear tire.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Type B - BMW R1200GS 2007-2012, Suzuki DL1000 2002-2012
Type D - Suzuki DL1000 2014
Type E - Yamaha Super Tenere 2012-2014
Type F - Honda VFR1200X 2016
110/80R19 59V TL (Type G) - BMW F650GS 2009-2014
140/80R17 69V TL (Type G) - BMW F650GS 2009-2014
90/90-21 54V TT (Type G) - BMW F800GS 2009-2014, Triumph Tiger 800 2012-2015
150/70R17 69V TT (Type G) - BMW F800GS 2009-2014, Triumph Tiger 800 2012-2015
Type J - Suzuki DL1000 2014

... As per Revzilla

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the list, no 650 on there, that's why it's confusing

After reading some threads, seems like the battle wings were to be replaced by the Battle Ax A40, which doesn't get great reviews. So does that mean if I find wings, they are "old" tires at this point.

So if not wings, what on road only tires to buy?

I plan to do the replacement myself, don't want rims scratched and want to inspect and clean bearings, which I know shop won't do.using tire lube, motion pro breaker bars, spoons and ride on for balancing. Hopefully I can get the technique down, last time I tried, I couldn't get the BW502 back on the rear

Thinking of using the angled valve stem for easier air pressure readings, any problems with those?

·
Registered
22,275 Posts
For the Bridgestone the letter (E,G,J, so on) is the OEM applications. Supposedly the bead is a little different, I have used many different ones with no bad effects. Revzilla generally list them on their site.
the original tires that Suzuki puts aon are made to manufacturers spec, which is slightly less tread depth

I would not replace with an oem spec tire, same model but not oem spec will have longer tread life

·
Administrator
5,718 Posts
Thinking of using the angled valve stem for easier air pressure readings, any problems with those?
They are a brilliant idea. I installed them years ago and they are so much easier to check tyre pressures at the gas station and have never failed. Install them pointing right for ease of use while on the side stand.

I gave up fitting tyres years ago. Too many skinned knuckles. The bike shops have the best equipment and may fit for free if you twist their arm. New tyres are especially difficult to fit, especially on cold days. Leave them in the hot sun for a few hours if possible.

Me? I'm happy to pay extra for fitting and balancing but I guess not everyone has a bike shop conveniently nearby. It comes down to how much would you spend on equipment that is nowhere as good as theirs and how often would you use it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Valve stem opening size?

What about using Dyna beads and or ride-on with right angle valve stems?

Trying to get all things in place, went with Shinko 705, needed extra scratch for the tools

·
Administrator
5,718 Posts
Valve stem opening size?

What about using Dyna beads and or ride-on with right angle valve stems?

Trying to get all things in place, went with Shinko 705, needed extra scratch for the tools
All cars/motorcycles have the same valve stem size and thread.
I've never used dyna beads - contributors here seem to have varying opinions on their value.
Shinko 705's are widely recommended here.

·
Registered
22,275 Posts
I prefer short straight valve stems, they are the sturdiest and least likely to fail as they are not pushed from the side, get a right angle pressure gauge instead

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can ride-on for ATV's can be used in a motorcycle tire? I've seen some online discussions that it is a marketing scheme to extract money form us and the tire doesn't know the difference.

I don't go over 80 anyway, what do you think

·
Registered
834 Posts
Can ride-on for ATV's can be used in a motorcycle tire? I've seen some online discussions that it is a marketing scheme to extract money form us and the tire doesn't know the difference.

I have the same question. It is a lot cheaper. I bought the motorcycle version because the local Cyclegear store had it in stock, and I wasn't sure.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts

I have no idea. I buy the motorcycle version.

Here's what Ride-On says:

Q. Are all of your formulas the same sealant (interchangeable) and just packaged differently?

A: No. We currently produce nine distinctly different formulas. All of our Ride-On TPS formulas are very different products. Each has been designed and engineered to provide you with the maximum performance in sealing and balancing capabilities for its intended application; i.e. Auto, Motorcycle, Commercial, ATV, Motoscooter etc.
For example, the differences between our Motorcycle and Auto formulas, the different shapes of the tires (flat vs. cupped/rounded), the differences in acceleration, and the differences in suspension dynamics, all play a crucial role in how these different formulas perform and why they have been engineered in a manner that is application specific. As another example our ATV sealant is rather viscous with rubber particles, which may create a severe vibration/balancing issue if it were to be installed into your Auto and/or Motorcycle tires. Furthermore, the ATV product is designed to seal larger punctures in off-road only tires.

In summary, we categorically do not recommend that you substitute one of our formulas for another. For optimum performance, we recommend that you buy the correct sealant for your intended application.

YMMV

·
Administrator
5,718 Posts
Although their website stipulates against cross use logic says that this is the same product packaged differently for commercial reasons - it is always the same colour for goodness sakes!

I can see the need for a different quantity in a larger cavity but it HAS to be an identical or similar formula.

The manufacturer of a widely distributed across-the-counter painkiller here was recently sued by the government run consumer protection agency for releasing a whole range of more expensive painkillers, each targeting a specific ailments like toothache, period pain, back pain, arthritis etc, for a greater price. The consumer protection agency found that ALL those products had the same active ingredient and were therefore effectively identical. The courts agreed and they were shamed and fined.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts