StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading tire reviews over the past few months. It got to the point of decision paralysis. Last summer I was disappointed to only get 8000km from a set of Tourance. Had to replace them in Whitehorse on the way back from Alaska.

Next summer I'm planning a trip to Cape Breton and Newfoundland... At least 13 000km. Also time permitting I'd like to do an Iron Butt border 2 border 2 border (Can Mex Can). That's another 5800km.

Not planning any dirt or gravel so chose a set of PR4 (trail on the front). What are the chances of making it 18 000km loaded with camping gear?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,337 Posts
I made only about 7000 miles on a rear PR 4 as I remember. It was the "Trail" version which is softer. So if available I would NOT choose that version. The Tourance is usually considered a tire that gives high mileage. I suspect it will do as good or better than the PR 4. I got better mileage from the PR 3 series.

While some people can get twice the miles on tires I do, I suspect loaded down and running some higher speeds will keep mileage down. There is only one for sure method to make that trip on one tire, going to the dark side! Yes, many Iron Butt riders do run car rear tires!

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Actual mileage is so dependent on the rider and the roads traveled. I usually get 2 rears to a front. Going to the great unknown why not take a tire with you or get one shipped to some convenient point where you expect the present tire to be gone.
I've hauled a spare tied to the Upack on a couple trips...just in case.

I've also set in a motel for a couple days waiting for UPS to deliver a tire cus the one I had was too flat to go further and no one locally had that size in stock.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm the same boat as you because I'm planning a 4K trip in June to Halifax and Colorado in August. All together this would add up to about 11-12K. I shortlisted Avon Trailrider and Metzeler Tourance but considering longevity of both I think Pilot 4 in the back and Pilot 4 Trail in the front will be the best option.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Battlewing front.
Anakee 3 rear.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I heard good things about the PR4s, but they are so bloody expensive i can't justify testing them.

In my personal experience, only oem Battlewings (i had full luggage and a a big dry bag) got me close to the 15000kms, all else failed to even touch 9k.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I’ve got 11,000 miles on my rear Shinko 705 Radial and it still isn’t down to the wear bars. Some town riding and long distance 1 up with loaded bags, top case and a dry bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My Mitas E07s Dakar survived trip to Alaska. Coming out of AK at ~9k I was 100% positive it would not make home; had an appointment scheduled in Calgary. Friend of mine convinced me to take chances. We were putting bike on center stand and waiting for cords to show at every gas stop.. they never did. We had 14k miles when we got home, and they lasted well beyond that. Mostly commuting, several trips to Tail of the Dragon, to Montreal, New England, etc. I finally discarded rear with 25k prior to Florida; front is still going at 30k.

I have not seen any tire last so long Mitas grafted knobs on full blown road tire, when you think it is finished it's only at half point. And they handle pavement pretty good on par with dedicated touring rubbers.

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
" 11,000 miles on my rear Shinko 705 Radial"

I think I hate you. I never get more than 6K. See what I mean about tire wear depending on the operator and the road surface?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
" 11,000 miles on my rear Shinko 705 Radial"

I think I hate you. I never get more than 6K. See what I mean about tire wear depending on the operator and the road surface?
Problem with Shinkos that their load/temperature ratings are highly optimistic. They can handle either but not both. It will last long time riding around for short distance but load bike, get on superslab and at 75mph rear will melt off between gas stops.

You can get more by overinflating after discovering I ran it at 44psi and it saved it to last the trip.. and rear is finished now at 7k

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
CLICK

I ran the OEM's at 40 and 40psi.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Metzler ME880 for the rear. Slightly oversize but works fine, even mildly on gravel roads. It will do well over 10k miles loaded up. Just don't get crazy when the tire is still cold or in the wet. Original equipment for Sportster's I think and the older BMW 1000K bikes. I ran it with a Tourance (radial) in the front.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Metzler ME880 for the rear. Slightly oversize but works fine, even mildly on gravel roads. It will do well over 10k miles loaded up. Just don't get crazy when the tire is still cold or in the wet. Original equipment for Sportster's I think and the older BMW 1000K bikes. I ran it with a Tourance (radial) in the front.
I had one and never again. Scary slippery when new, very slippery in cold, will quickly melt off in SW heat. Really bad in wet. Get worse with age and ain't cheap.

They operate well enough in 60-80F range dry, but that's about it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Problem with Shinkos that their load/temperature ratings are highly optimistic. They can handle either but not both. It will last long time riding around for short distance but load bike, get on superslab and at 75mph rear will melt off between gas stops.

You can get more by overinflating after discovering I ran it at 44psi and it saved it to last the trip.. and rear is finished now at 7k

Visited provinces:

Visited states:
I was wanting something just a little more off-road capable than the OEM tires and considered removing the Battlewings and putting on Shinkos for my trip to San Diego, up the Pacific coast, and back home again. Now I'm not so sure. :confused:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I was wanting something just a little more off-road capable than the OEM tires and considered removing the Battlewings and putting on Shinkos for my trip to San Diego, up the Pacific coast, and back home again. Now I'm not so sure. :confused:
Front 705 will easily last. For rear you would need to overinflate; don't even think about running at OEM suggested pressure and monitor temps. I usually take glove off and put hand on tire at gas stops, easy to detect issue. Tire should be warm but not hot and front/rear should have similar temperature.

People are getting north of 20k from 705 fronts, but Strom has tendency to chew fronts in twisties, so it won't be 20k of PCH miles ;) if you avoid overheating rear could survive my Canadian friend reports 20-22,000km from the rear good luck.

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

Not true at all, my 804/805 were ridden at speeds above 75 mph for miles and miles, bike extremely loaded up, and the temps at 90 or above. That was on my West trip last year, those big blocks had about 2500 miles of high temps, long slab runs, insane twisty roads, and gnarly off road conditions.....they are still currently on my bike, and the tread is surprising pretty damn good for soft knobbies. :wink2:

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I've gotten to the point that I ignore mileage recommendations on various tires, especially after doing the research on my latest tire purchase. Riding styles, terrain, temperature, pressure, all are variables that affect tire life, and two guys in two different parts of the country with two different riding styles are going to report wildly different mileages. Even the mileage reports I've read about the Mitas E07, which will probably be my next tire experiment and which is supposed to be an ultra high mileage tire, have been all over the map, with some guys claiming they got 20,000 miles out of the rear and some saying they got 7000 miles. Part of the discrepancy I'm sure is based on a rider's estimate of when a tire is "done"; some guys get rid of them at a point when another rider would run it for another 2000 miles. I don't run tires until they look like slicks, so I tend to get about 5000 to 6000 miles out of a rear Shinko, but someone who's willing to run them a little closer to the end might get another thousand out of them. I'm kind of dubious when I hear someone say they got 18,000 miles out of a rear 705 or a Battlewing, but I can't say it isn't possible.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Not true at all, my 804/805 were ridden at speeds above 75 mph for miles and miles, bike extremely loaded up, and the temps at 90 or above. That was on my West trip last year, those big blocks had about 2500 miles of high temps, long slab runs, insane twisty roads, and gnarly off road conditions.....they are still currently on my bike, and the tread is surprising pretty damn good for soft knobbies. :wink2:
I have heard that Sinko redesigned and went to stiffer radial casting to address the problem so newer 705 and 805 are better. Still looks like you and I have different expectations for what is "long lasting". Just saying that after we got 25k out of rear E07 and front is still kicking at 30k hard to call anything with 5-8k life expectancy "lasting".

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I've gotten to the point that I ignore mileage recommendations on various tires, especially after doing the research on my latest tire purchase. Riding styles, terrain, temperature, pressure, all are variables that affect tire life, and two guys in two different parts of the country with two different riding styles are going to report wildly different mileages. Even the mileage reports I've read about the Mitas E07, which will probably be my next tire experiment and which is supposed to be an ultra high mileage tire, have been all over the map, with some guys claiming they got 20,000 miles out of the rear and some saying they got 7000 miles. Part of the discrepancy I'm sure is based on a rider's estimate of when a tire is "done"; some guys get rid of them at a point when another rider would run it for another 2000 miles. I don't run tires until they look like slicks, so I tend to get about 5000 to 6000 miles out of a rear Shinko, but someone who's willing to run them a little closer to the end might get another thousand out of them. I'm kind of dubious when I hear someone say they got 18,000 miles out of a rear 705 or a Battlewing, but I can't say it isn't possible.

+1

When tires hit the wear bars I replace them. Unfortunately I never wear the sides before the middle.

Talking to the Euro ADV type guys here at work they report similar mileage on their high dollar tires that I get on Shinkos. Seems to me that it's more a road surface and temperature correlation than perceived "quality" of the tire.

My new to me 2014 DL 1000 came with nearly new Scorpion Pro 2 tires. I'll see how they last. I can get 2 sets of the Shinko 712s (I use on my 650) for the same cost.

I was always reluctant to spend the money and find out if it was cost effective buy "expensive" tires. Now I'll know. Sample of one of course!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts