StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My other hobby is playing with a mini mill. This should be a good link to my post on the other forum. If I am not mistaken it is open and ya'll should be able to see it. If it doesn't work I'll copy and past over to this forum.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Nope, doesn't work.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That site is down this morning, will bring the post over when they are back up.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They lost my post so here goes a retry

Apologies for the false start I put it on a hobby machinist forum because it was mostly machinist related and a link here because it was a motorcycle related part I was machining. Something crashed their site and their backup was from prior to my post. Since I have to re-create the whole thing from scratch I'm givin' ya'll first peek.

Noob to riding, only about 13 months riding and have replaced one tire, the second will be needed shortly. I figured out that I was going to go through a lot of tires so I went ahead and got me a tire changer from Harbor Freight with the motorcycle attachment.

After putting it together It looked like this part might mar or scratch the wheel if I didn't put something on it.

I decided that it was time to dust off the mini-mill (What can I say, I discovered that I should have started riding about 30 years ago so I've been doing some catching up this year)

I started with a piece of poly-something or other, don't know the exact material but it is just like the stuff they make cutting boards with.

Had to make the channel first then start milling away the excess.

I figure the fuzzy edges are from the speed of the cutter creating enough heat to cause the poly to start trying "weld".

Another view.

Now to take some off this other side.

Semi finished product, I'll sand the fuzzy stuff down some and maybe I'll round the edges with a router later.

From another angle.

And now a few views of the pad (cushion) "installed"

Only two more to make, I might try some other styles/designs later but need to get this ready to change a tire.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Heck I'm the most excited about being able to find a HF tire changer with MC attachment. I heard they were no longer available. Found used??

Rick

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heck I'm the most excited about being able to find a HF tire changer with MC attachment. I heard they were no longer available. Found used??

Rick
No, new in store, the two parts together were about $80 before tax, You have to get the car tire changer because the motorcycle one mounts to it. It's a little weird that you can find other links that indicate they are at Harbor Freight but you can't find them directly on Harbor Freights web site.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'll be darned....it's back. May beat using giant "zip-ties" to pull the tire beads together and forcing it over the wheel manually. Actually that really wasn't as difficult as I was lead to believe. But in any case, and not to thread crap, I like your work. Possibly the plastic was UHMW. I have a couple pieces of it I've used in woodturning.

Rick

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah ha. The $60 motorcycle attachment #60810 fits on the $43 portable tire changer #69686. (Sale prices change while you're thinking about it.)
Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment
Portable Tire Changer
Had to make a liar out of me didn't ya :mrgreen:

But in any case, and not to thread crap, I like your work. Possibly the plastic was UHMW. I have a couple pieces of it I've used in woodturning.Rick
No worries, that material sounds close though I followed your link and found they use that stuff in ice rinks... I'm not sure the stuff I have would stand up to ice skates.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had to make a liar out of me didn't ya :mrgreen:
The next sale flyer will have the prices different again.
I was actually referring to finding the tire changer and motorcycle adapter on their website, when I got the flier it wasn't on their website (or at least I couldn't find it) :oops:

Yeah, thier prices are roller coaster like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts