StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tire change assistance (Assistance found)

Tires are coming up due for a change so I need to order a new set... dyna beads are in them so I want to try and salvage the beads as they are re-usable... that one problem. Other is I figure since i am using dynabead why not mount the new tires myself.

Anyone in Wa State who has done this before willing to offer assistance with this for me... I can bring beer or whatever beverage you fancy. Still have to order the tires but I wanted to tackle the installation issue before I did that.

Chime in or PM me:thumbup:

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Still have to order the tires
I ordered a set of Shinkos yesterday (Sunday) from murphskits.com, and got the FedEx ground shipping notice Monday morning. $158, same as Motorcycle Superstore, and I like giving the business to the small V-strom specialty outfits who serve us well. He has Battlewings, also, and may be able to get Anakees or other Michelins (he stocks Pilot Roads to fit Concours).

I'm going to try the technique someone posted about breaking the bead with an 8" c-clamp while the wheel is still on the bike. We'll see.... For safety, consider strapping the center stand toward the front of the bike so it can't collapse while you're pushing & pulling on stuff. Also consider safety lines to garage ceiling joists or overhead tree limbs or whatever it takes so the bike can't fall. Put the rear axle in from the right side, antiseize on the threads, and torque to 58 lbs-ft.

More:
Hacksaw Tire Dismount! - ADVrider
Mount a Motorcycle Tire Without Using Tools - ADVrider
Tutorial on changing sportbike motorcycle tires

VALVE STEMS! Remember that they deteriorate from aging due to ozone and UV. Renew them if they show any signs of cracking or over age (what...5 years?) or just for safety.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info... are you sure you want to go with the Shinkos? ... all the 705 bias ply issues and the radials atleast in the rear dont' sound like they last much past 6k .... for me the extra money for BW vs shinkos sounds just fine to me given the mileage these guys lasted...

I almost got 10k from the battlewings so I will be going to a new set of those... I ride some gravel but saying 10% dirt travel is the category i fit into I think and the BW worked just fine I ofcourse got them with ~4.5k on them when I bought the strom but even when grabbing a handful of brake to see how bad abs felt on gravel...and ripping on the gas they felt predictable and sturdy in the conditions I went in.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*bump* anyone in the WA area willing to help with a tire change? =)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I live on the other side of the state in the Spokane area. I would be willing August 13 would be the date I have in mind if that will work let me know. I have a motorcycle lift as well as the appropriate tools.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live on the other side of the state in the Spokane area. I would be willing August 13 would be the date I have in mind if that will work let me know. I have a motorcycle lift as well as the appropriate tools.
sounds good i would be able to manage a ride to Spokane to get the tires changed easily enough.. probably would have to make sure I ship them there so i don't have to strap them to the bike when I order them | lets see if someone on this side of the mountains chimes in the next few days

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It's not hard. I did mine with 3 tire irons, a c-clamp and my air compressor. no fancy expensive tools. Dynabeads make it easy to balance. I'm wondering what the best way to remove the beads to reuse them would be...might want to have 3 ounces available just in case you lose some. I suppose we could do it in my garage one day when you get the tires.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Learning how to change a tire builds character and should be done at least once. After the first time....I ask.....WHY?

I have a moto shop next to work. If I bring them the wheel off the bike, they will remove my slick and mount a new tire with static balance for $25.00. They do it the day I drop it off. With a tire machine.

Am I a lesser man/rider...probably. But your bike has expensive wheels and if like mine they are painted black, they are easy to scratch up with spoons no matter how careful you are.

I can and have done the roadside change....no biggie but it will test your patience and you will learn you know more profanity than you thought.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not hard. I did mine with 3 tire irons, a c-clamp and my air compressor. no fancy expensive tools. Dynabeads make it easy to balance. I'm wondering what the best way to remove the beads to reuse them would be...might want to have 3 ounces available just in case you lose some. I suppose we could do it in my garage one day when you get the tires.
the ADV thread that was referenced above showed a good idea of cutting into the tire before removing it and using the hole to drain beads into a pan...will see what the helping me has in mind.

I got a coworker who does motoracing and has a machine to get the tires off so he has graciously offered to lend me use of his workspace. His distributor buddy he knows is going to hook me up with a set of Anakee 2's this time around as well, I was going to go with the battle-wings but from what I read the anakee 2 are even and might have a little more life in them over the battlewings. Not like this is going to be the last set of tires I buy so I'll see how I like them.

I also ordered a package of dyna beads from what I read I really should only need 1 oz up front and 2 oz in the rear to successfully balance the tires so if I lose some I will have extra. Guide I found people referenced using 2 oz front and 2oz rear sounds easy enough

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Not sure how soon you need this done, but if we could work out a time that would fit in for both of us I'd be able to help. Ck your PM's.

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts