StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used Tire Chains on a V-Strom?

I am preparing my winter riding kit and I have been debating on putting a simple set of Tire Chains in to the kit, so that I can use them if I was ever to get caught in a snow storm while at work or out away from home.

I have been caught in a few and it is not fun riding on a slippery surface using your feet as skis.

I am leaning towards assembling some like these that are shown on ADVRider (Motorcycle snow chains - ADVrider)

Something simple that I can strap on and get home safely and take them off once I am done.

I can't let a little white stuff keep me from riding my Strom :hurray:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I doubt that they will work on a Strom.

You only have three spokes the ones pictured rely on the wire wheel spokes to keep the individual chains in place. On a Strom you are likely to rip the valve stem out with one of the chains sliding around the rim.

Likewise the bike pictured has knobblies which also locate the chains. They won't stay in place on a Strom tyre.

I suspect that to make these work you will need something that goes around the circumference of the rim and is held in position around the three spokes.

·
Registered
22,423 Posts
I recommend a set of studded tires

I considered tire chains, but chains really limit your speeds 25-30mph tops, based on my experience using tire chains on a cage, too much potential for crap to happen, chains stretch, ya constantly have to tighten them, they flail and shred sh!t when they are loose

with studs, you can pretty much ride normal, I only studded the central knobs that way if yer on dry pavement leaning, your not on studs, on snowy roads you'll lean some, but not a lot, about 130 studs in the rear tire and about 180 in front

fwiw, DON'T use yer feet as outriggers you can balance the bike better with your feet on the pegs

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recommend a set of studded tires

I considered tire chains, but chains really limit your speeds 25-30mph tops, based on my experience using tire chains on a cage, too much potential for crap to happen, chains stretch, ya constantly have to tighten them, they flail and shred sh!t when they are loose

with studs, you can pretty much ride normal, I only studded the central knobs that way if yer on dry pavement leaning, your not on studs, on snowy roads you'll lean some, but not a lot, about 130 studs in the rear tire and about 180 in front

fwiw, DON'T use yer feet as outriggers you can balance the bike better with your feet on the pegs
It doesn't snow enough where I live to warrant studding my tires, I mostly just need something that I can use to crawl home 4-5 miles if needed to be.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You might be better off fabricating an outrigger which can be deployed in slippery conditions...maybe adapting a centerstand by shortening and widening the arms, adding short "skis" on the ends, and putting in a locking mechanism so it doesn't fold up when moving forward. This would actually be pretty easy to fabricate if you can weld -- and have the scratch for an extra centerstand.

There is a fellow on another forum (who does a lot of winter riding in CO) who has made up a single-wheel outrigger A-arm kind of like a minimal sidecar.

·
Registered
678 Posts
+1 on all chain comments above. Check your state laws as to whether they allow studs or not on paved roads. If you are spending a lot of time running on paved roads, you are going to lose those studs on a regular basis which is a big time hazard to anyone behind you.

If you just need this for a handful of times a year, I would a) take a cab on those few days needed, b) call a friend, buy them a case of beer for their troubles, c) have a winter/beater car just for those occasions, or lastly d) public transit and walking. I'm all for riding as much as possible, but if it's cold enough for snow, it's probably too cold to be riding.

·
Registered
522 Posts
riddler it doesn't snow that much here in Indiana unless you live where they get a lot of lake effect snows.

I'd just shoe on a set of really aggresive offroad style tires for the winter and call it good. This will help emmencely when the snow flies. I'm not sure what to tell you when its gets icey.

I park my Vee when the snow and salt hits the roads. I don't have a heated wash area to get all the salt of my bike.

·
Registered
22,423 Posts
It doesn't snow enough where I live to warrant studding my tires, I mostly just need something that I can use to crawl home 4-5 miles if needed to be.

for a little snow, plain ole knobby tires is more than adequate, but studs will give you the extra when theres black ice under the snow with no detriment to your normal winter riding, sure, ya don't wanna go sportriding on studs, but I doubt you want to sport ride on freezing cold pavement either

+1 on all chain comments above. Check your state laws as to whether they allow studs or not on paved roads. If you are spending a lot of time running on paved roads, you are going to lose those studs on a regular basis which is a big time hazard to anyone behind you.

If you just need this for a handful of times a year, I would a) take a cab on those few days needed, b) call a friend, buy them a case of beer for their troubles, c) have a winter/beater car just for those occasions, or lastly d) public transit and walking. I'm all for riding as much as possible, but if it's cold enough for snow, it's probably too cold to be riding.
fwiw, my expereince using standard automotive studs in drilled holes (not the molded holes car tires have that are shaped correctly) in the front, I haven't last a single stud in almost 10k of winter riding (2 seasons) the tread is at about 50%, most people that stud tires experience longer tire life than on unstudded tires, my studded rear was used only 1 season, about 5k its at about 30% tread and is missing 2-3 studs out of about 130-140

a 10mm stud is smaller than the average piece of gravel in the road, what is this "big time" hazard that studs create ?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I read some great reports about Heidenau K60 Scout.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Studded Winter Tires?

... my expereince using standard automotive studs in drilled holes (not the molded holes car tires have that are shaped correctly) in the front, is I haven't lost a single stud in almost 10k of winter riding (2 seasons).
A10mm stud is smaller than the average piece of gravel in the road, what is this "big time" hazard that studs create?

I remember back in the early '70s cars and trucks having studded tires in Ontario. They did so much damage to the roads that the Ontario government eventually banned them, except in the northern part of the province when the winters are more severe.

Also, in 2009 the province of Quebec mandated that all plated vehicles, including motorcycles, had to use "winter tires" (but not studded ones) in the Nov to March period. It caused some controversy (and amusement) among Quebec bike owners who didn't see the need for "qualified" tires to have their bikes out for a spin on a "warmer" dry sunny day. :confused:

Back around 1970 I was in a colleague's 2nd story office, standing near his window, when something can zipping through the window, narrowly missing my head, and splatted against the far wall. On examination we determined that it was a stud from a car tire - probably from the car that was spinning its rear wheels trying to pull out of its icy, up-sloped parking spot about 80 feet away from us. Lucky for me it didn't lodge in my head. There was a nice little hole (about the size that a .22 or .25 caliber round would leave) in the window pane. :yikes:

·
Registered
22,423 Posts
I remember back in the early '70s cars and trucks having studded tires in Ontario. They did so much damage to the roads that the Ontario government eventually banned them, except in the northern part of the province when the winters are more severe.

Also, in 2009 the province of Quebec mandated that all plated vehicles, including motorcycles, had to use "winter tires" (but not studded ones) in the Nov to March period. It caused some controversy (and amusement) among Quebec bike owners who didn't see the need for "qualified" tires to have their bikes out for a spin on a "warmer" dry sunny day. :confused:

Back around 1970 I was in a colleague's 2nd story office, standing near his window, when something can zipping through the window, narrowly missing my head, and splatted against the far wall. On examination we determined that it was a stud from a car tire - probably from the car that was spinning its rear wheels trying to pull out of its icy, up-sloped parking spot about 80 feet away from us. Lucky for me it didn't lodge in my head. There was a nice little hole (about the size that a .22 or .25 caliber round would leave) in the window pane. :yikes:

thousands of cars with studded tires can take its toll on the road, just look at the damage a simple snowmobile crossing does, yes, many places outlaw studs altogether , a how bunch more only allow them during winter months, there certainly is valid argument for limiting there use

every where local to me they are allowed in winter months when I use them, and if I happen to get caught with studs when/where they are not allowed, I'll deal with the consequences then,

a tire can throw a pebble that it picks up from roadside grit and throw it as hard as it would a stud, sh!t (freak acidents) happens. I was once sitting in my grandma's living room, watching tv when my older brother was mowing the lawn, we heard what we thought was rifle fire, a stone the size of a marble got winged at us with the lawnmower blade, thru the picture window, 1 foot over my head, thru an interior sheetrocked wall across the next room ans thru another sheetrocked wall into a closet

this past year, I've been running a winter car tire, unstudded, even better traction than a studded Karoo and its got the legal in quebec snowflake & mountain symbol :mrgreen:

·
Registered
22,423 Posts
Nothing goofy about it. Some people use them.

for several winters with rubber knobbies, I dreamed up a lot of thoughts, without practical ways of developing things, I even thought would an strong elastic band imprengated with aggregate that went on like a tire warmer but tight

knowing how fast tire chain stretches and flails and how much clearance is neeed + the fact ya have to put them on and take them off, usually puttin them on on the side of the road in a snowbank, no, been there , done that with a cage

ya really can't do more than headway with chains or they will flail

then came the Aerostitch self taping studs, never used them, good reviews, expensive, about $1/stud, they sell them in packages of 100, so add $300 to the cost of a set of TKCs or Karoos to screw them into

then I found a local that had first tried the Aerostich route, then invested in a pneumatic gun, box of 1000 studs for $60, I thru the guy a tip to cover my share of the studs and a worthy donation to his purchase of the gun

but now cause I'm only using a bike tire in front, I might try the Aerostitch route and rear, I really want a studded Hakkapeliitta in back

amount of snow/slush in nothing compared to what I've been out in this past winter, (blizzard, ice storm, freezing rain, sleet, wet snow, blowing snow, no extremely cold temps this past winter though, maybe down to 0°F) not only out in it, but out in it going the same speeds as ANY other traffic (except snowmobiles) the only other time I can't keep up is glare pond ice, on a straight out in the open I can go as fast as I want , but I can't manuver like a dirtbike with screws

lap around locke lake.avi - YouTube

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've seen some really goofy questions on this site ==== but ===== tire chains on a M/C. come on!
You are just spoiled from living in Florida :green_lol:

I ride all year, I didn't buy this bike to ride 5-6 months out of the year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
randyo,

thanks for all the input, I am just over thinking stuff again I guess.

Luckily it doesn't snow much here so I guess I will opt out of any sort of chains/studs and opt for some meaty tires instead.

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
Problems

Most chains are going to give you some drive (push) but not much side grip. Probably OK when you just need to get somewhere and you are willing to paddle along. Not so good for trying to attain any speed. Kind of a big chance if the chains come loose, they'll jam your rear tire or sprocket. Studs might do better, but I'm not sure the bike weighs enough to deform the tires down to the pavement around the studs, so you may find that the bike has better traction on ice or snow than on dry pavement. Most of all, around here, the normally incompetent cagers really shine in the winter, playing bumper cars as they peer through the three inch spot they cleared on the windshield, blissfully unaware of anything going on next to them or behind them. Even if some effective traction aid was available, no way I'd go out to play with them on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most chains are going to give you some drive (push) but not much side grip. Probably OK when you just need to get somewhere and you are willing to paddle along. Not so good for trying to attain any speed. Kind of a big chance if the chains come loose, they'll jam your rear tire or sprocket. Studs might do better, but I'm not sure the bike weighs enough to deform the tires down to the pavement around the studs, so you may find that the bike has better traction on ice or snow than on dry pavement. Most of all, around here, the normally incompetent cagers really shine in the winter, playing bumper cars as they peer through the three inch spot they cleared on the windshield, blissfully unaware of anything going on next to them or behind them. Even if some effective traction aid was available, no way I'd go out to play with them on a motorcycle.
I enjoy winter riding more than summer riding.

I have always heard people say its more dangerous in the winter because cagers don't see you in the winter because they aren't expecting a guy on a motorcycle, but the 2 winters I have ridden so far I have enjoyed more because there is at least 50% less traffic on the roads in the winter.

Less traffic equates to less crazy drivers, I hate driving/riding in the summer. Every idiot that has a car is out because they are pussies that don't like cold weather even in their heated cage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts