StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a long nail that bent into the tread in my stock TrailWing rear. Gouged the tread on the edge of center pretty bad. I have almost 7k miles on my V now, and i decided to replace them both. Got a set of Anakee 2's on it today. How long would we more or less expect (via street riding) for the tires to break in and scrub off the new tire funk? I am mostly commuting, 2/3 highway and the rest in the city.

Thanx in advance -

Oz

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Picked up a long nail that bent into the tread in my stock TrailWing rear. Gouged the tread on the edge of center pretty bad. I have almost 7k miles on my V now, and i decided to replace them both. Got a set of Anakee 2's on it today. How long would we more or less expect (via street riding) for the tires to break in and scrub off the new tire funk? I am mostly commuting, 2/3 highway and the rest in the city.

Thanx in advance -

Oz
Most of the advice that I have seen is 100 miles. I know that I have sped that process up by a good ride down a dirt road.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Keep in mind that the worst time to find that slippery mold release on a tire is in a curve.

If you can find a piece of road where you can do it, you can lean the bike over while counterbalancing and wear that stuff off while going straight...

100 miles of 'straight' road, will not help you in the first hard corner...

·
Registered
254 Posts
It is not about the miles. It is about gradually leaning a little at a time until you have scrubbed the whole tyre.
(The centre will be scrubbed in in the first mile)

I travel about 20 miles to my local 'racer road'. Side to side and so on slowly leaning a little more for each corner. Stop after 30 miles.
Back down the same road at 95% of maximum lean.

Commuting will often leave the sides still covered with the release agent film

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - That's pretty much what I thought. Rode it back from the shop yesterday, and pretty much did exactly as described, leaning little bits at a time on some straight roads. I figure that the hot asphalt temperatures may help that somewhat - we have heat indexes here this week of 115 FhT!

Thanx so much for all the replies.

Oz

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Just to inject a different perspective, I mount my tires on to my rims, (without balancing them), then I go ride.

No break in period at all. I have NEVER had an issue with all of the sets of tires I have mounted on my bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't say I know the answer but I also I have heard it suggested that it is getting the tire up to operating temperature that is critical not the mechanical action of rubbing off of the mold release. It certainly would seem dangerous (and an unacceptable legal liability) for tire manufacturers to sell tires with something on them that impairs their function.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A good dirt road with some turns will help with that...scrubs'em in nice. First thing I do with mine. You don't have to go full "mtocross", just some miles to help get the release agent out.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
The way I break in a new rear tire is to side it into, and out of corners.
Come to think of it, that's the same thing I do at the end of their life.
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just put battle wings on mine. I found an abandoned parking lot with older asphalt. The kind that is kind of grainy but not breaking into gravel. Once there, I did lots of figure eights and tried to see how far over I could lean in a fast tight turn. I did that for one lunch break. (hour)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts