StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to these dynamic balancing beads/goos...

Would seem to me that they would work ok for travel at constant speed, but your tires would be inherently out-of-balance during acceleration/deceleration until the beads have a chance to orient themselves during steady state operation.

Since we accelerate and decelerate a lot on motorcycles, and can be most dependent on properly balanced tires to brake smoothly, I'm not inclined to trust these products.

-Russ

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Most of the goo is viscous enough to stay put during accel/deccel.

Really it works well. I like to balance my rims temporarily then the tire with tape weights.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
When the tire's rotational speed is slow enough that the beads or goo are not evenly dispersed by centrifugal force I would think that balance is not a significant factor. IIRC, dirt bike tires are not balanced when installed because they do not normally reach speeds where it matters.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But Mike, the beads balance the tire by not being evenly distributed by centrifugal force. If they were evenly distributed, the tire would be just as out-of-balance as it was without them.

Under acceleration (or deceleration) the beads will roll around the inside of the wheel and need to redistribute when the speed levels out...

-Russ

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
But Mike, the beads balance the tire by not being evenly distributed by centrifugal force. If they were evenly distributed, the tire would be just as out-of-balance as it was without them.
Hmmmm....good point. The answer may lie in the Mayan calendar.:mrgreen:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
I have not balanced a motorcycle tire for years. At least 20 sets. I get the same mileage as average, same wear patterns everyone talks about. I don't have any vibrations that feel like they are from tires/wheels.

I say this because it is my opinion that "balancing" is more to make up for a slightly out of round tire than 1/2 ounce of weight difference. If balancing for weight differences was so important, why don't we need to balance a tire every 1500 miles as rubber ( weight ) wears off it?

If I should ever feel a vibration from a tire, I won't be worried about it being out of balance. I'll worry about something being improperly manufactured. A defect is just that and I don't want to add weight to "fix" that.

Just my opinion......worth...well you know:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Here we go again...
Try anal beads...then every bike you ride is automatically balanced.....:green_lol:

:lurk5: giddy-up!!

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I'm new to these dynamic balancing beads/goos...

Would seem to me that they would work ok for travel at constant speed, but your tires would be inherently out-of-balance during acceleration/deceleration until the beads have a chance to orient themselves during steady state operation.

Since we accelerate and decelerate a lot on motorcycles, and can be most dependent on properly balanced tires to brake smoothly, I'm not inclined to trust these products.

-Russ
You're right. They don't work; not even at constant speed.
At best, they collect in the hollows of the tire's insides, and at worst, the wear the carcass from the inside.
If they really were a good solution, wheel weights would be obsolete.

Peopel will argue that they do work, but the fact is that most people can't tell an out of balance tire until you take the oil out of their forks.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I was a little dubious about these beads until I saw the Duck's post. Now I'm more inclined to think they DO work as advertised, keeping in mind the Duck's hard-earned reputation for uninformed opinion.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You know, I kind of like the Duck. He makes me think.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have used both the dynabead ceramic (tiny) beads up to airsoft plastic pellets in bike, trailer, truck, and big 4x4 tires. No complaints and every tire I have used them on has rolled smooth as glass.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've used Dyna Beads for the last 6 years in a ST1300 and also a V-Strom 650. Beads balance the same as wheel weights. I can't tell any difference. They don't wear out the tire in any way.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
They did the same thing to car tires in the 70ies and every once and a while you would get a horrible steering wheel shake.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I have not balanced a motorcycle tire for years. At least 20 sets. I get the same mileage as average, same wear patterns everyone talks about. I don't have any vibrations that feel like they are from tires/wheels.

I say this because it is my opinion that "balancing" is more to make up for a slightly out of round tire than 1/2 ounce of weight difference. If balancing for weight differences was so important, why don't we need to balance a tire every 1500 miles as rubber ( weight ) wears off it?

If I should ever feel a vibration from a tire, I won't be worried about it being out of balance. I'll worry about something being improperly manufactured. A defect is just that and I don't want to add weight to "fix" that.

Just my opinion......worth...well you know:biggrinjester:
Same here....never balance my tires, and never have a problem.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I was a little dubious about these beads until I saw the Duck's post. Now I'm more inclined to think they DO work as advertised, keeping in mind the Duck's hard-earned reputation for uninformed opinion.:mrgreen:
LOL. how about you try them and let us know.
Please make sure to remove the oil from your forks and let us know if they still work.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Summary -- And round and round we go, so to speak

- The beads worked for me.

- The beads didn't work for me.

- The beads clogged my valve stems.

- The beads didn't clog my valve stems.

- The beads are snake oil.

- The beads are magic.

- Here's the scientific sounding bull hooey in favor of the beads.

- Here's the scientific sounding bull hooey opposed to the beads.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I will reverse the concept.

How does having out of balance system make any sense

My saw horse/axle system takes 5 minutes and costs about $2 in tape weights.

The old days when the belts met there was a real lump so balance etc was more of a problem. Modern tires are some kind of continuous process so there is not a lap joint. Regardless My rear wheel still needs almost 2 oz.

My operational theory is always that during a crisis we are all operating to the extreme limits of the machine and rider to avoid disaster. Don't leave anything on the table.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Poor Ducky. He has seen testimonials from actual users here but still believes that his unsupported conjecture is superior, and presents it with snooty disdain for other views. Is there no end to this guy's arrogance?

Pretty much everything he says can be presumed to be a guess, an exaggeration, or an outright lie. I put him on my "ignore" list a while ago after one of his ego-inflated claims about routinely riding at 160 kph (or something equally ridiculous) around the lower mainland of BC. Having lived there for 4 years I know that is preposterous. Stupidly I relented and took him off the list recently thinking that even the most incorrigible serial liar and pompous ass might reform himself. But no. So on the sh#t list he goes again.

I'm glad some of you enjoy his bleatings. I've known too many like him over the years to want to hear any more.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts