StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang

Well, This seems like the most mundane of questions but .. What Tire Pressure are you running on your DL-650's ?

This has been my formula so far.

I have been running exactly what it says on the chain guard.
Solo Riding
33 Front
36 Rear
I am 240 lbs and I ride pretty average.. ( not too fast in the corners )

I got 6445 miles out of my Rear TrailWing and switched to a Metz. Tourance.
Now at 7800 Miles, I just ordered a new Front Metz. Tourance.
I have about another 200 miles or so on the front but it's burning fast..
so call it 8000 for the front..

Is that about right for the trailwings? or did I burn them out early?

anyway:

A few folks I have spoken too said they run 40 PSI in the rear..
and higher than documented in the front too.

So I want to know what do you do.. and WHY?
Will I get longer life out of my tires by running a few more pounds of air?
or Less?

Is there a formula for calulating my weight and the bike .. to come up with the right pressure for me?

Is there some science out there instead of just speculation and rumor?

Thanks
Dudes

also:
I ordered a new Helmet too Scorpion EXO-700.. I'll post a review soon :twisted:

CHRIS!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I weigh in at 150lbs. and have been running my DL1000 at 36-37 front and 38-39 in the rear. I got about 8300 miles out of the Trailwing rear and the Tourance went about 13,000 miles. The BT020s on it now are at about 7000 miles and the rear is getting flat in the center.

Dave

·
Registered
91 Posts
I run 40psi front and 42psi rear, whether solo or two-up. 4000km and no real wear showing on either tyre. There's no science that I'm aware of, but general rule of thumb for me is to go 4-6psi higher than the maker recommends (I do this on my cars too.) The reason for going a little more than that with the front is due to advice taken from this site regarding premature tyre wear if run lower than 38psi. As air is free anyway, just have a bit of an experimient and see what feels best for you!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Barney...

I would imagine a harder front tire would corner quicker too, aye?
or atleast feel that way..

who else ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is some science to the proper inflation of motorcycle tires. What it comes down to is whatever pressure you are riding at, after at least of 30 minutes of high speed riding if the tire pressure has gone up more than 10% of the original pressure, you are riding at too low of a cold pressure. If the tire pressure hasn't changed your riding at too high of a cold pressure. If your within the 10% your cold pressure is just right.

What you are striving to find is the pressure at which the tires heat build up doesn't go above the design elements of the tire, but which will also heat the tire to the correct level for maximum traction and life.

This is a bit of a pain to figure out because it is not a straight rate scale, if for example your cold pressure is 30lb and after 30 minutes of high speed riing your pressure climbs to 35lb's, this doesn't mean you add 2lb's to the cold pressure to get within the 10%. This may take a couple days to figure out exactly as you should start always with cold tires and will change based on the load on the bike.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Brad
Well thats pretty cool

I tried it today
Cold Started at Rear 40, Front 38

Came home 45 mins later HOT..Rear 45.5, Front 42.

So, my expansion was

Rear 12%
Front 9.5%
Any math wizzez out there feel free to correct me

So..... Maybe I just need to add a tiny bit more to meet your equation...

Pretty cool

I'll continue my research and report back

SO If I was running at the prescribed pressure that Suzuki Advises (33F/36R) I can only ASSume I was underutilizing the tire? Is that right?

Thanks Man

Chris

·
Registered
178 Posts
The primary reason many people get very low mileage out of oem tires is due to following a pressure recommendation that is too low. And/or not bothering to check their tire pressures and riding at too low of a point.

This is particulary true on bikes designed or expected to be used on and off the pavement, the manufacturer will try to cover all conditions with the recommended pressures. This middle of the road recommendation (pun intended) doesn't do anything for long life or for the sharpest handling on the pavement.

Just remember that higher pressures may well be better on a road with great traction, dry, no loose stuff, etc. but traction will drop in those areas with the less than perfect conditions, so be safe, and fast!

S

·
0 Posts
I am currently running 37 front, 40 rear. Seems to corner very well at these settings, almost sportbike-like. Much better than the stock 33/36.

B

·
0 Posts
I think you are better off following the pressures listed on the tires than on the bike.

Yes I ran the Deathwings at the recommended pressures but when I switched to ME 880s I tried 40/42 as recommended by some one else.

The rear was running hot so I bumped tham up to max on the rear [50lbs] on that tire and they ran cool.

My personal thing is to run ALL tires at the max on the sidewall for better wear. You might find the ride a bit harsh.

R

·
0 Posts
tire pressure/wear

I've ran my DL1000 at 36/36 now for 12k miles on the original tires and have to tell you they still are in damn good shape and have LOTS of tread left. I've not spent much time on gravel roads or anything, just a lot of commuting in the Seattle area where the temps are pretty moderate. I do notice though that I have to add a few pounds of air every so often as they will bleed out air somewhere over time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
BradM's advice / info sounds pretty reasonable. Where did you learn that? Just curious. I think I am going to give it a try.

So far I like the stock settings (33 / 36) for my 650, cause I do ride dirt roads and pavement about equal amounts. I am willing to try a little higher though just to see how it feels, but I gotta say I am really happy with the stock tires, stock tire pressure for the type of riding I do any my weight / ability.

Reactions: Buck83

·
Registered
97 Posts
After 1 month and 1600 ks checked the tires cold.

Fr 30 rear 34 so inflated them to fr 34 rear 37 noticed a much bumpier ride but off on a 1022 ride on Fri. so should be better on the highway.

Local dealer recommended fr. 36 rear 41 for the high speed trip.

Report your experiences

·
Registered
99 Posts
I run 40/45 with full pre-load on the rear shock. Handling improved nicely with no major impact (pun intended) on ride quality. I've got just under 9,000 miles on the stock tires and expect them to last another 9,000. Tires run pretty cool even after long stretches on the interstate.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I running Bridgestone 020's at 37/37 cold. The first front lasted 17K miles, while the rears only make it between 5-6K miles. Higher pressures in either the front or the rear tend to detract from the "planted" feeling.

I've experimented with higher pressures and "concluded" that for the "feel" & "feedback" that I am comfortable with 37/37. Bike is a 6Fiddy with Wilbur Progressives with 7.5 wt fork oil and a Murph's forkbrace in the front & 2 turns of preload on the stock rear shocker. I weigh in at 185 ATGATT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Reccomended pressure settings differ according to the type of tyre (tire?) you're running. I use Metziler Tourance on my DL1000, and their website recommends 2.5bar (36psi)F and 2.8 (40psi)R.

It should be remembered that tyres need to get some heat in them to work effectively, so running them at max pressure is probably not recommended. You might get extra service life out of them, but they won't work as well on the road.

Just my 2p
Nigel.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
StromStromBlue said:
It should be remembered that tyres need to get some heat in them to work effectively, so running them at max pressure is probably not recommended.
The working pressure is different than normal due to the generated heat. As far as I know the recommended tyre pressure has to be set on cold tyres. The value is calculated considering the increase because of the heat. So you can run with the max pressure suggested by the user's manual, just take care of the load (solo or 2 up) and the tyre's temperature.

·
Registered
28 Posts
mokusbajusz,
Yes I agree, tyre pressures should be set when the tyre is cold. I was refering to an earlier post which sugested pumping the tyres up to the max pressure indicated on the tyre wall. My point was that although this might give you longer tyre life (although I doubt it), the tyre will not grip very well, as it won't get up to its correct operating temperature.

Nigel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Commuter bike

The Metzeler website gives the pressures in BAR:
Front 2.25 BAR
Rear 2.8 BAR
At 14.5038 PSI = 1.00 BAR, that's
Front 32.6 PSI
Rear 40.6 PSI
These are very close to the sticker, which is how I set my tires:
Front 33 PSI
Rear 36 PSI.
I keep the rear at 36, the solo pressure on the sticker.
I ride to work, rain on shine, winter and summer, in northern Virginia - about 12 miles of National Park, two miles of historic district, two miles of burbs and two blocks of city each way. At 39,000 miles, I'm on my second set of Metzelers. The tires that came on the bike (new in 2009) lasted about 13,000 miles and the first set of Metzelers about 15,000.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts