StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new here :)

Sorry if this thing has been dealt before but somehow I couldn't find an answer..
So my question is how often do you check the pressure in your tires?? Or perhaps there is something that would indicate it's high time one should pump it up a bit ? I'm clueless here as I can't imagine myself checking it every second day :)
Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi guys, new here :)

Sorry if this thing has been dealt before but somehow I couldn't find an answer..
So my question is how often do you check the pressure in your tires?? Or perhaps there is something that would indicate it's high time one should pump it up a bit ? I'm clueless here as I can't imagine myself checking it every second day :)
Thanks.
Welcome! This probably could go in the generic maintenance forum, but visually, I check them every time before I ride. With a tire gauge, every 2-3 weeks for me. May be overkill, but at the price of rubber, I can't afford to have bad tire wear due to improper inflation.

·
Registered
237 Posts
tire pressure is kinda important, especially on these two wheeled vehicles. When I am riding all day, I will check them at least once a day, or when conditions change. It only takes a minute......

·
Registered
15,248 Posts
I carry a gauge in the trunk so I check them onest in a while. If the bike has been sitting a week or two, I'll check before leaving the garage.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Usually check mine every 2 months or so. They seem pretty consistent

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies guys :) I haven't checked it since I bought it from the new in April / now circa 3000 km / but I guess they checked it on the first service..Better go and do it now :)

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Pretty much weekly. I lube the chain every other tank of fuel, and check the tires then. I use a bicycle pump. I carry a small Cruz pressure gage all the time.

Especially if you ride early and late in the season, you can get some large ranges. Last time I checked my front I had 26 psi - not too low to be dangerous, but too low to be optimal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
check your pressure before each ride!!

Usually check mine every 2 months or so. They seem pretty consistent
Except when they are leaking. You won't be able to tell from a visual check if you are experiencing a slow leak. A loss of 5 psi a day is significant, but you probably wouldn't know it for several days. That's why it's important to pull out the pencil gauge before each ride (while the tires are cold) and check. Not only will you be able to head off disaster, your tires will last a lot longer too, which means more time and money for you. Remember, the loss of traction in one tire is MUCH more significant on a motorcycle than on a car. I read that all new cars have automatic tire pressure monitors. If it's important for a car with four wheels, don't you think it's important (to check tire pressure often) for a motorcycle with only two?

·
Registered
91 Posts
tire pressure

Oh,,,about 10 years ago was on a bit of a group ride on some back roads. A young woman riding her own bike failed to make a left turn and came to rest against the armco on the side of the road. She did not suffer much hurt but did a bit of a scrape on her leg.
We arrived at the home of one of the riders and I did a check of her machine. I noticed it appeard to have low tire pressure so did a quick check.
Sure enough, She had been riding with about 17 psi in each tire. "Here's the reason you hit the armco." Tough to control a bike in a turn when it is trying to walk around on low pressure tires.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I check 'em weekly - when she gets her bath. I ride almost every day early spring through late fall.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Before every ride. How else will you know if you have picked up a nail. On long road trips, every second tank and in the morning.

I have had 2 flats on the road, one front one rear.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I check 'em weekly - when she gets her bath. I ride almost every day early spring through late fall.
¿ BATH ? MAYBE A RINSING OFF, NOW AND THEN...

as for the tyre pressure, i've satisfied myself w/ a sideways squish w/ my boot, regularly & when i do a walk around @ each stop

i began using the pressure gauge, along w/ the boot squishing, and progressed to just measuring pressure w/ a gauge to a daily routine

as stated above, a slow leak over a few days could put you up against a guard rail(& hopefully one will be there to catch you, keeping you from going over the edge)

regular chain & tyre maintenance can SAVE YOU A LOT OF GRIEF and requires much less time than the CON-SEQUENCES

and that's my 2-bits worth, on this subject

shiny side up

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
¿ BATH ? MAYBE A RINSING OFF, NOW AND THEN...

as for the tyre pressure, i've satisfied myself w/ a sideways squish w/ my boot
Actually this was my procedure as well :)
Now I'm looking for a decent p.gauge as the ones at the pumps tend to lack consistent readings..Besides it seems that tires must be cold before the check /at least the manual says so /..

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
air pressure

for my short daily commute I kick the tires once in a while - you can tell if there is real air in the tires - and once in a great while I check with a gage

my Wee tires seem to hold pressure really well

for serious riding, I use a pressure gage prior to the ride

·
Registered
807 Posts
Except when they are leaking. You won't be able to tell from a visual check if you are experiencing a slow leak. A loss of 5 psi a day is significant, but you probably wouldn't know it for several days. That's why it's important to pull out the pencil gauge before each ride (while the tires are cold) and check. Not only will you be able to head off disaster, your tires will last a lot longer too, which means more time and money for you. Remember, the loss of traction in one tire is MUCH more significant on a motorcycle than on a car. I read that all new cars have automatic tire pressure monitors. If it's important for a car with four wheels, don't you think it's important (to check tire pressure often) for a motorcycle with only two?
I think the reality of the situation is that almost nobody uses a tire gauge every time they ride, unless they only ride once a week or something. Those who ride daily get used to letting it ride for a bit. Not saying it's smart, it's just the way it is.

And mandated tire pressure monitors doesn't mean "it's important" on a car. I mean, yeah, it is, but it's not THAT important. I can feel it in my car as soon as I lose more than about 5PSI in one tire. Basically that means I never check them unless I'm doing other maintenance or going to the track or autocross.

On the motorcycle, I check 'em before every big trip, and as often as I remember -- but not every ride.

I'm not skilled enough in motorcycle dynamics to feel a 5psi loss. Yet. I need to train my senses.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I kick the tires every morning, check the pressure with a gauge once a week.

Kicking isn't precise, but it'll pick up any real problems.

Pete

T

·
0 Posts
Tire kicking, some physics

I kick the tires every morning, check the pressure with a gauge once a week.

Kicking isn't precise, but it'll pick up any real problems.

Pete
I keep a pressure gauge on the bike and use it every few weeks. But every day I kick the tires, straight toward the axle with a fairly repeatable momentum on my consistently booted foot. This makes a sound, different for front and back tires, which has a tonal quality. (It's an underdamped decaying sinusoid, kind of a "tunk".) I am convinced that the mass (Mt) determining the resonance is the tires walls and tread, and that the spring constant (Ks) is set by the air pressure. Since the mass changes but slowly, and since I can detect any significant shift in the frequency, (and since the frequency is proportional to sqrt(Ks/Mt)), I have no qualms about riding off most days and just about every day without using the pressure gauge. I view the pressure gauge mainly as a more stable measure guarding against slow drift in the tonal frequency which I might accommodate without noticing. And of course I use it when setting a different pressure, then immediately kick the tires to capture their tones.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts