StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brain trust:
I have a old Anakee 2 that I just picked up used, W/O looking at the born on date which is 16/03... No visible cracks or discoloration and no visible plugs or patches.
Would you ride on this tire or ??
2012 DL 1000.
Just wanted to see if I like the Anakee 2 before getting a new one.
TIA
Sandman152

·
Registered
833 Posts
Brain trust:
I have a old Anakee 2 that I just picked up used, W/O looking at the born on date which is 16/03... No visible cracks or discoloration and no visible plugs or patches.
Would you ride on this tire or ??
2012 DL 1000.
Just wanted to see if I like the Anakee 2 before getting a new one.
TIA
Sandman152
Why not?.....

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That's about twice the recommended maximum age for a tire. It would have to have been stored under optimum conditions to avoid chemical deterioration.

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
I bought a NOS( New Old Stock) bunch of old tires once. They looked like new and worn so fast it was amusing. Thank god I was using them on a sidecar rig. We pissed one rear away on the rally poker run and I limped 200 miles home.
I feel sorry for folks that keep so many bikes the tires get old and crappy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided Against

Thank you all for the feedback.
Found a new one in Salem, OR. and will go that route.
I guess that I really already knew which way I was going to go, but wanted some input anyhow.
Thanks again,
Sandman152

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
A tire engineer I've spoken with uses a life of 10 years in northern parts of the U. S. and 6 years in the southern parts of the U. S. Storage out of the sun adds to the life, but that isn't quantified. Anyway, no one wants a tire separation, especially when due to an old tire we knew we should have junked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E-Bay failure

Well...
My tire (Anakee-2) that I'd thought I'd purchased from a dealer in Salem just fell apart.
Have a new K-60 for the rear and want to swap out the front for more aggressive dirt/fire roads.
Suggestions?
I know that there is a tire thread.... since I have you right here I thought I'd ask.
Thank you all,
Dave
Sandman152

1 - 8 of 8 Posts