StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't already done this, I suggest removing the center, "molding point", (is this called a 'sprue riser'?), inside your luggage. By leaving it, you will risk that it will chafe a hole in something. I have cut mine off with a hacksaw blade after I found some "rubbing" marks on some map books I was carrying and a small hole in my tent stuff sack.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Good idea! Thanks for being the guinea pig. I'm using the inner bags from Caribou most of the time, but not always.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I put screws in those bosses and stretch an elastic net across them to hold stuff.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put screws in those bosses and stretch an elastic net across them to hold stuff.
Gosh, I love the ideas here!!! Keep an eye on what you have packed in your cases and what is laying up against the bosses.

I meant to post this last season, but forgot and then had my crashes. I'm into a new season and this issue, (at least for me), has revealed itself once again. Thought I would toss it out there.

B.

(What did you use, #10 or #12 S.S. pan head tappers for screws?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Black Lab:

Thanks for that tip. I'm leaving the Houston, TX area on May 25 headed for Kenai, Alaska and I no doubt would have rubbed a hole in my tent or something.

Gringo

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
That's a great idea too. I'll keep the 4 in the corners and do exactly that.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry for the mild hijack

if you have the 1550 cases, do you have a strap or cable restraining the amount it can open. If so, can you send or post pictures and length that you use.

Coop

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not done that yet......

I was going to do that last year.........

Was going to do it this year........

But it keeps sliding down my list of things to do.

My plan is to purchase four 1/4:20 Stainless Steel, Truss Head screws and s.s. nylock washers and four 1/4" s.s. washers along with some black, nylon webbing. I plan to mount two straps for each case to hold the lid at 90 degrees when open.

What I have been doing, is to pop the catches, let the lid drop on my knee, retrieve what I want, slam the lid closed and snap the catches closed. I've done it so many times that I don't even think about it anymore!

However, the reason that I do want to do this is to provide a "worktable" of sorts out of the lid. I can cook on it with my stove. Or, cook on one side and eat off of the other "table" on the other. Play solitaire?

I will post pictures when I do this. I have to be around next weekend, maybe I could tackle the project then.

B.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can get the carabou lid straps direct from them for like $8. YOu get the straps, hardware and instruction sheet. Not a bad deal for under $10

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Ooh I like that, now I need to know what kind of elastic net and where to find them. Not something as heavy as the usual motorcycle cargo net, I guess?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are they worth the 100clams???

Anyone using inner bags from JC Whitney? Cost?

No seriously... Did you admit to playing solitaire.
How about Texas hold 'em or someother manly pursuit!!??? :cool::p:p
99.99% of the time, I am traveling alone.......

I suppose I will try to do something about that at some point in a "manly" kind of way. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Are they worth the 100clams???
I can't answer that question from your perspective.

They were worth the money to me. They're a perfect fit and I don't regret buying them. Besides, I'm descended from a long line of bag ladies. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Anyone using inner bags from JC Whitney? Cost?
Yep, I've got the JCW saddlebag liners. Seems like they were $17 each plus shipping. Here's a link to the liners.

So far so good, although I haven't rammed 'em full of stuff and done multiple 500-mile days back-to-back yet. I haven't noticed that the bosses inside the Pelicans abrade them at all. They're made of Cordura nylon --workmanship seems adequate.

The liner bags fit the 1550s very nicely and work particularly well for staying in a hotel -- you can pack all your gear in the liners, and then just grab out the whole bag and carry it into your hotel room and leave your side cases on the bike empty.

Haven't camped with them yet, but it might be easier on a purely camping trip to have all/some/most of your gear loose in the case so you can see everything when you open the case. That way you could just grab what you need without having to dig through (or remove and unpack) the liner bag to find your dry socks...

There's a thread with photos over on "that other site" here.

--cg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts