·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
875 Posts
:headbang:

Probably just as well...with all the snow up there in the last few days, it would be a sphincter-tightening motorcycle ride. I'll give it 2-3 weeks of warm weather for the road to clean up and then I'm going to hit Tioga, Sonora, Ebbetts, and Monitor all in one mother of a ride :thumbup:

·
Registered
609 Posts

Probably just as well...with all the snow up there in the last few days, it would be a sphincter-tightening motorcycle ride. I'll give it 2-3 weeks of warm weather for the road to clean up and then I'm going to hit Tioga, Sonora, Ebbetts, and Monitor all in one mother of a ride :thumbup:
I am thinking of doing the same. Although I may pass on the Tioga portion. My understanding is that its 20 bucks to go through. Too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's only $10 for a motorcycle and it's worth every penny. The scenery is spectacular. I'd post pics of last year's ride, but alas, I am at work... the last day of school then a summer full of riding!!!

·
Registered
678 Posts

Me too. Monitor opened last month for a bit, but now it's closed again. Today there are even chain controls on 80 & 50! And Squaw Valley has re-opened for Memorial Day weekend. :yikes:

But yah, a couple of weeks of warm & sunny weather and the passes should finally be open. I love riding up there when there's 10 feet of snow on the ground.

Quick pic from Sonora pass on opening weekend last year (May 16)

And Ebbetts from the year before (also May 16)... DAMN I can't wait to get up there again!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's only $10 for a motorcycle and it's worth every penny.
Even better get the multi-park year pass, I think it's $90, it's good for any park and you can use it in your car also. With so many great national parks to ride around here, I do it every year.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Even better get the multi-park year pass, I think it's $90, it's good for any park and you can use it in your car also. With so many great national parks to ride around here, I do it every year.
So, I started thinking. I buy the California poppy pass for my truck and boat. I went and loked but i dont see yoesemite on ther or tioga pass. even the bigger pasrk pass doesnt show it. Is the park pass for yoesemeite seperate?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yup. Yosemite (and Lassen, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, etc.) are all national parks -- not state parks. So a CA park pass is not valid there, just as a National Park pass is not valid at state parks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yup. Yosemite (and Lassen, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, etc.) are all national parks -- not state parks. So a CA park pass is not valid there, just as a National Park pass is not valid at state parks.
but I believe Yosemite is the only one that charges to ride through. I dont rememebr paying to go through Lassen. I know I never paid to go through death valley. So what does one get other than Tioga pass?

·
Registered
678 Posts
but I believe Yosemite is the only one that charges to ride through. I dont rememebr paying to go through Lassen. I know I never paid to go through death valley. So what does one get other than Tioga pass?
Death Valley is on the honor system. There are no gates, so you're supposed to stop at a visitor center, pay the $10, and get a receipt to stick to your windshield. Not everyone does, but if a park ranger sees your bike parked somewhere without one, you can get a ticket.

Last time I rode through Lassen via the south gate, I did get charged.

I'm not sure whether 1 pass can be used at multiple parks anymore. Last time I rode through Yosemite, I asked the ranger whether that same pass was valid for DV and she said no. But I seem to remember being able to re-using one pass at multiple parks, some years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts