StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys have any idea if you could tint a suzuki tall windshield on the inside and have it stick? I have a feeling that it might bubble. I am just not sure if plexiglass "breathes".

·
Registered
137 Posts
MIGHT be possible. What we do when tinting curved glass is shrink it to fit the outside, then transfer to the inside for install. This is done with a heat gun and a stiff squeegee. You slowly heat the tint until it shrinks, then squeeze it flat to the surface. With a good film, like Johnson, it could be done. Problem is, since the shield isn't glass, it would take almost all day to shrink the tint and not melt the shield.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow on a Concours shield and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
nope. It was melting the plastic before I could get it shrunk all the way. This with a smaller base curve than our Vee shields. Maybe some cheapo auto parts store film would work for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt even think it was too curved to go on, I was just worried it was going to bubble. The heat is something new to think about now, though.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
We used to use Rit dye on the lexan bodies for RC cars, don't know if it would work for a shield, you'd need a big bucket and lots of hot water, enter at your own risk if you try this:)

Jerry

·
Registered
259 Posts
tinting a tall windshield

I never look through my shields any way, in the past I just painted them black, that cut the glare down on the instruments, just paint the inside like a old slot car body, you do not even have to be a good painter. If you have it raised up and look thru it, don't paint it. might try spraying tint on there though..........

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you decide to try and paint it...

Id try a 'Candy Color'. Candy's require a 'Base coat', and a 'transparent color' of your choice 'top coat'.
You could test try a 'Top coat', transparent paint, emiminating the base coat.
Like candy rootbeer brown or 100's 0f others found in model and hobby stores. Then, 'Clear coat' it to 'seal and protect' the transparent coating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts