StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I head out August 7 from northern Virginia for a tour that will include the length of Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway and then over to catch up with my family in Florence Alabama to visit my mother who is 92. I have been looking forward to this trip and appreciate the comments on the BRP that I have seen here, including the need to watch my speed (looking forward to a relaxing ride through the mountains after all of the political and natural heat of the DC area in July).

Current plan is to run Skyline down from Front Royal VA and camp first night at Otter Creek (BRP MP61). Monday will be shooting for the Blowing Rock NC area where I plan to camp at Julian Price Park (MP 297). May take Tuesday to ride around Blowing Rock / Valle Crucis area and stay a second night). Wednesday will ride remainder of the BRP and plan to end up at the Iron Horse Lodge in Stecoah, NC. Thursday may ride the Tail of the Dragon again and other area roads and then on Friday ride to north Alabama. Return route still open depending on family plans and whether I meet up with the rest of my family for possible college tours on the way back or go a solo route back - just have to be back by around August 21.

My V-Strom has fresh oil, and is all ready to go once I pack my gear and strap on a travel fly rod just in case the opportunity arises to toss a line out along the way. Wave if you see me along the way. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Sounds like a good trip- enjoy.

Ride safe.

Cheers,
Ock.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
If you plan on spending some time near Asheville, I can offer some advice.

Sounds like a great trip................except for the visiting with family part.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you plan on spending some time near Asheville, I can offer some advice.

Sounds like a great trip................except for the visiting with family part.
Just passing through Asheville on this trip - do plan to spend a day around Blowing Rock so let me know if you have any recommendations on that area. We spent a week at Blowing Rock a few years ago and really like that area. Need to stop in the Mast General Store and stock up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you have an extra 45 minutes

Recommend you take the St Route 215 exit off BRP and head south. This road was freshly paved last fall and features a variety of scenes with both twisty and fast sweepers. It's probably 15-20 miles to reach Rt 64 where you should just turn around. If you just need to escape the population on BRP, just drop down a few miles to a bridge crossing with a dirt parking area on the right. Nice digs to hang out off the road and by the stream right there. Safe Travels!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great ride on Skyline and the BRP. Plenty of wildlife including three baby black bears cubs and a wild turkey on the road that took flight in front of my bike. Stopped over at Peaks of Otter lodge and Alpine Village Inn in Blowing Rock NC (owner very motorcycle friendly). Sitting now at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah NC. Rode the Dragon today and explored some back roads.

I head to Alabama to visit family and next week will be returning to northern Virginia with a stopover in Gatlingburg for a few days. Great trip so far. :).

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a great ride totaling about 2300 miles and hitting the 18,000 mile marker on my odometer. Bike was bullet proof as usual, including on 26 miles of gravel dirt roads in the Smokies. Here are a couple of pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts